Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local priest offers prayers for Gaddafi

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

fontanalis wrote: »
    The priest in question is an attention seeking moron.

With a comment like that I know you have never met the man and this is probably the first time you heard of him. Fr Dinny is a true gentleman and although i am far from a practising catholic, he one priest you couldn't help but like.
    Christian practice is to forgive the sins of the past and that's what he did by praying for him.

OT: Maybe give out about our political leaders constantly going to Libya to meet gaddafi as late as 2008 to get him to buy our beef before we give out about a priest saying a prayer for someone who had died, regardless of if he deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Carrickman wrote: »
    In fairness to Fr Dinny he was here in Carrick for years and he is one of the holiest men I have ever met so I don't see the big deal this is just one of his ways, a very nice holy man would would not say anything bad about anyone even about the person who stabbed him a few years ago in Raphoe.

He baptized our oldest son and my Wife would know him from when she was young and I would have to totally agree, he seemed a very nice priest.

I can see both points of view on this and can understand people having exceptions to him praying for Gadafi, but it is the Catholic churches teaching for forgiveness and to pray for any souls no matter what there sins where

Maybe the images of him being dragged up by a mob and being shot in cold blood had something to do with him mentioning it, maybe it was playing on his mind as there were some very graphic images.
    i'm sure he didn't mean any dis-respect to any of the victims of gadafis past brutality and regime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

i'm sure he didn't mean any dis-respect to any of the victims of gadafis past brutality and regime

Out of interest, did he also pray for the victims of Gaddafi's regime over the past 30 years does anyone know?

I would find it silly to pray for someone who done evil things to people and not pray for the people who suffered.

Imo, he should have said nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Too much modding in this thread, the theme is not simply related to one priest in one parish, I think Mr G was very good to Ireland, he supplied uncountable tonnes of arms and munitions for Ireland's cause, even when Mr G was under NATO attack.

The priest praying for fellow parishioners, opens a Rossetti stone as we know we have ancient links to Morocco and Libia and Mr G may well have been a parishioner.

To confine it to the actual priest saying prayers is not allowing the bigger picture to emerge, Hitler, Saddam, Gaddaffi and many more.

Maybe he is a man of intellect and understanding and is saddened by the passing of yet another independent state and power block.

I certainly pray for Mr G, he was punished beyond belief by the US and Nato and suffered the deaths of his own children.

He initially came to power with the motives of his people in mind, rather like Pearse and later Bertie, we have parallels, and to pray for him is kind, as, in his country he was both Pearse and Berite in one.

Maybe the priest can see this and is sad, I am, if I live to his age, I've another 20 years to gain his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

After they read out the names of people who died, don't they say something like "pray for all other departed souls", so yes he does pray for everyone.

I think this whole thing is a bit of a non issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I just think he was praying for a man he and many others seen being killed in cold blood on tv nothing else.
    Maybe it was bad judgement and a bit of bad taste but just of what I know of him he seems to me to be a kind decent person and i'm sure he didn't mean it to cause any offence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Senna wrote: »
    After they read out the names of people who died, don't they say something like "pray for all other departed souls", so yes he does pray for everyone.

I think this whole thing is a bit of a non issue.

I take offence he gave special mention to Gaddafi though, what about my Granny that died! :pac:

Pray for all the departed souls, that would have been sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

gbee wrote: »
    Too much modding in this thread, the theme is not simply related to one priest in one parish, I think Mr G was very good to Ireland, he supplied uncountable tonnes of arms and munitions for Ireland's cause, even when Mr G was under NATO attack.

The priest praying for fellow parishioners, opens a Rossetti stone as we know we have ancient links to Morocco and Libia and Mr G may well have been a parishioner.

To confine it to the actual priest saying prayers is not allowing the bigger picture to emerge, Hitler, Saddam, Gaddaffi and many more.

Maybe he is a man of intellect and understanding and is saddened by the passing of yet another independent state and power block.

I certainly pray for Mr G, he was punished beyond belief by the US and Nato and suffered the deaths of his own children.

He initially came to power with the motives of his people in mind, rather like Pearse and later Bertie, we have parallels, and to pray for him is kind, as, in his country he was both Pearse and Berite in one.

Maybe the priest can see this and is sad, I am, if I live to his age, I've another 20 years to gain his experience.

Judging by the first line of your post you've read the whole thread, so how did ya miss....
    muffler wrote: »
    Stay on topic here lads which is about a local cc in Letterkenny offering prayers at Sunday mass for Gadaffi.

...and this...
    Warnings given for both off topic posts .

Any more and it will be the ban stick.

...and this ...
    This is the last of the warnings. If you cant post on topic then dont post at all.

Disputing a moderators instructions on thread is always going to end up badly.

Plain and simple Ban applied (for any one of three reasons)

It was going soo well to but any more and we may have to lock the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

If you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

people are so zoned out at mass that the priest could be offering prayers for Joseph Stalin and Hitler and they wouldn't realise it

haha

can imagine someone at the back of church going

'whatever man'

breaking bad style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Just to be clear, I'm an Atheist and rarely if ever post on the christian threads, but my Father had to pay to get my mother's name mentioned for prayers, also after my Father died, my sister had to pay for my father's name to be mentioned.

I think it's just disrespectfull to hear his name was included with the names of people's dead loved ones. Just one Question did he pray for Steve Jobs when he died? If so then maybe fair play.

note, I won't make any further comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement