Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vehicle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Synods wrote: »
    Sorry but i think you guys are fairly glorifying the bikes here.....what about punctures?? will ya really have time to get out a basin of water to find where the little buggar of a hole is, all while you search for tape to patch it up?? remember the widespread mayhem would result in lots of broken glass scattered about that would leave you the wheels vulnerable!!!!

That arguement works against pretty much most vehicles that would be readily available in Ireland during an outbreak. Most cars, vans etc will get punctures from the same broken glass and I don't fancy changing a wheel with Zack closing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

run-flat tyres O.o

remember, when searching for a vechile come z-day, always go for the expensive ones! they'll have run-flats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

i think Barack Obama's presidential car would be fairly handy actually, i remember seeing a feature on it before.....
    Bullet proofed, reinforced, etc.
    will still roll even if the tyres are blown out
    only one window that opens, even then it only goes down like 8cm!
    it even has supplies of the guys own blood if he needs an emergency transfusion!!!
    Id add my own bull bar/plough thing to the front (a la Mr Burns) too, could come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Synods wrote: »
    Sorry but i think you guys are fairly glorifying the bikes here.....what about punctures?? will ya really have time to get out a basin of water to find where the little buggar of a hole is, all while you search for tape to patch it up?? remember the widespread mayhem would result in lots of broken glass scattered about that would leave you the wheels vulnerable!!!!

Carry spare tubes and a pump!

efla wrote: »
    Carry spare tubes and a pump!

i could change a car tyre quicker than a bike tyre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was only half-joking with the A-team van. A big older van with a nice simple engine would be the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Even carrying tubes etc, it would take precious time and concentration to change the bike tyre. You could pick it up and run, but that would defeat the purpose of having any transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Even carrying tubes etc, it would take precious time and concentration to change the bike tyre. You could pick it up and run, but that would defeat the purpose of having any transport.

Its the only guaranteed sustainable option

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kess73 wrote: »
    That arguement works against pretty much most vehicles that would be readily available in Ireland during an outbreak. Most cars, vans etc will get punctures from the same broken glass and I don't fancy changing a wheel with Zack closing in.
    Cars wouldn't be as likely to puncture as a bike, there is more technology put into them. Like it's already been pointed out you can run flat as there is no need for a fast get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cars wouldn't be as likely to puncture as a bike, there is more technology put into them. Like it's already been pointed out you can run flat as there is no need for a fast get away.

Well factor in the fact that the roads will be full of crashed vehicles and may also be blocked in many places. Another issue with a car is noise levels. If your safehouse is close or semi close to where you are getting supplies, you run the risk of zack homing in on the sound of the car driving or even the car starting up.

Although if there are sprinters about and no shufflers, I ain't getting on my bike :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Furthering the bike argument, this rig nullifies most of the disadvantages that were raised

trailer.JPG

Enough room to carry food and other supplies, but more importantly, you can easily carry a couple of spare wheels with fresh tires already on. Make sure your bike has quick release wheels and if you get a puncture you can be up and running again in no time. For the front wheel, literally about 10-15 seconds. For the back wheel with a bit of practice, around 30 seconds.

argo-8x8-avenger-750-efi-atv-2008.jpg

a challenger appears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DemonLilith

i want this one. Brings a whole new meaning to killing with cuteness!

hello-kitty-amoured-personnel-carrier.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

Kromdar wrote: »
    argo-8x8-avenger-750-efi-atv-2008.jpg

a challenger appears

Thats like a Zoolander truck, it needs to be at least 3 times bigger then that.

Thats like a Zoolander truck, it needs to be at least 3 times bigger then that.
    well i was going for a bicycle replacement...

Could a quad bike be the ultimate compromise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Kromdar wrote: »
    well i was going for a bicycle replacement...

Is it a replacement for Ants!?!

:pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Ferguson

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned these already. The country is literally full to the brim with tractors and the massey is the king of tractors. I'm currently researching their full potential, being from the country is for use proving useful.

Tractors are not only powerful but you can run other machines off them. All have the ability to power other machines from the back jumble of metal. You can stick all manner of extra tools to them like diggers and scoops. They can go just about anywhere and the older ones are very easy to maintain, they where built to go on forever. Any basic mechanic could service one and parts are everywhere.

Tractors will be the most important vehicle after Z-day in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I would prefer to just have my feet to be honest. Any vehicle, no matter how good is going to run out of fuel or parts eventually so I think working to maintain it would just be a diversion from getting food and other supplies. That said, if I came across a 4&4 toyota truck I would hop in and ride if it would help me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭_SONIC_

probably a humvee could ram down the zombies!!!

sadly petrol is a big problem but you could drive around ireland kiling zombies and draining petrol pumps!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

_SONIC_ wrote: »
    probably a humvee could ram down the zombies!!!

sadly petrol is a big problem but you could drive around ireland kiling zombies and draining petrol pumps!!!

They would be drained very quickly in the event of a nation wide outbreak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bike for me. Get yourself a good, tough mountain bike, and it can last you a long time. Granted you can't carry much on it, but its durable, light and can get you across most/if not all terrains. Use it for scouting, or quick runs to nearby locations where speed is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

If gas mileage isn't an issue then

0814-10bulldozer.jpg

armored bulldozer FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭_SONIC_

karlog wrote: »

0814-10bulldozer.jpg

armored bulldozer FTW

thats total badass. im pretty sure i want one of them for christmas!!!!

karlog wrote: »

armored bulldozer FTW

needs moar machineguns.

Valmont wrote: »
    They would be drained very quickly in the event of a nation wide outbreak.
    I really don't think that's going to happen here. How often do Irish people fill up their cars? I fill mine about once every two weeks. My car will go from Dublin to Galway, back to Galway and half way to Dublin again, probably more if I took it easier.

There's a hell of allot of diesel out there in private tanks on farms, in homes and at any business that has it's own fleets of vehicles. There isn't a culture of hoarding things during a crisis or natural disaster like their is in the states. Our natural disasters are usually over in the space of a day and any crisis that lasts longer Irish have a tendency to try and leave the country rather than stock up and stick it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

The bike is the best option for long term transport.

Any kind of car risks running into jams of other cars, running out of fuel.

If you are moving in the early stages of an attack then a Jeep or something with enough open space to have a bike prepped and ready to go.

The other thing to consider about any sort of mechanised transport. They make noise. Noise tends to attrack them or other people desperate for a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Aton-Impulse Viking-2992 Amphibious Vehicle

Aton-Impulse-Viking-2992-1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1244230165832Aton-Impulse-Viking-2992-2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1244230178880

Aton-Impulse-Viking-2992-3.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1244230191665Aton-Impulse-Viking-2992-4.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1244230203545

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Agent J wrote: »
    The bike is the best option for long term transport.

Any kind of car risks running into jams of other cars, running out of fuel.

If you are moving in the early stages of an attack then a Jeep or something with enough open space to have a bike prepped and ready to go.

The other thing to consider about any sort of mechanised transport. They make noise. Noise tends to attrack them or other people desperate for a lift.

The bike is the worst option going all it has for it is it doesnt use petrol. It offers no protection and is the most stupid option to be picked to date!!!.

Lets face it anyone who said a bike thought about it too much and there is a high chance that they have terrible cardio and will get tired and stop and be eaten.
    Yes a car can breakdown but there are hundreds of thousands of cars so getting another one is not going to be a problem.
    A small engined car is the best plan for milege protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Evolute wrote: »
    The bike is the worst option going all it has for it is it doesnt use petrol. It offers no protection and is the most stupid option to be picked to date!!!.

Lets face it anyone who said a bike thought about it too much and there is a high chance that they have terrible cardio and will get tired and stop and be eaten.
    Yes a car can breakdown but there are hundreds of thousands of cars so getting another one is not going to be a problem.
    A small engined car is the best plan for milege protection.

Cars can only be driven on roads though, There will be sections of roads that will be completely impassable. A motorbike, off road type may be a good option, I wouldn't discount a push bike either, silent and can be carried up stairs etc.

Advertisement