Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ixoy's reading log

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Short but powerful - some great prose in here that really captures the desolation of a post-Apocalyptic world. It's very bleak but, at the same time, "the boy" is the ember of hope and innocence that McCarthy does a very good job of conveying. A tough read in some ways but well worth it. Just don't expect to smile much.

Also now finished "Blue Remembered Earth" the first book in Alastair Reynold's Poseidon's Children series. Set 150 years from now, it details a solar system where Africa has risen to a dominant power and members of its wealthiest family begin to uncover the legacy of their late grandmother.

Set in our confined solar system it's quite different to some of the wider scale stories of his previous works (especially "House of Suns"). It's more character focused. It's also more optimistic in tone, pointing out the great potential of humanity which is a different angle than the gritty Revelation Space series took. Unfortunately, for me, it's a little duller because of it. It's just a little too safe with no real edge or sense of danger. The plot, which is fine, didn't really grab me (nor did it bore me). It's a perfectly good book but it's not memorable either. It does though seem to be a lot of set up, ground work for the next two books which I believe could begin to deliver on the grander scale I like to see in Reynold's works.

Finished "Blood and Bone" by Ian Cameron Esslemont, the fourth book in his Malazan sequence. Running in parallel to the tenth book in Erikson's "Malazan: Book of the Fallen" sequence this further expands on some of the story lines laid out there.

It's set in the continent of Jacuruku, previously only mentioned in dialogue. There's a number of plot threads and characters here - which was part of the problem for me because I never felt they weaved together except at the end. The plots meandered a little before convergence: which is something both series have done but I didn't find it as entertaining this time.

It's a shame because the jungle-setting of Jacuruku is good and quite fresh. The characters moving through it... not wholly convinced. Some I enjoyed (the Golan/Thorn dialogue) but others felt a bit flat. Some of this though is due to my inability to wholly keep track of all the machinations spread across all the books - everything is once again inferred and rarely explicitly explained. A frustrating experience at time and, like in "Orb Sceptre Throne", I felt this went too much on the side of being vague.

Still there are good moments here and it's nice to see a continent that genuinely feels different to some of the other places in Wu. There's also a good set up and promise for the next (and final) book in this series. I think I just need about a year off to re-read the entire 16 books to clear my mind on the events...

Finished "The Hydrogen Sonata" by Iain M. Banks, the latest - and sadly last - Culture book. This time in somewhat of a contrast to "Surface Detail" exploring Hell, he looks at the Glitz civilization who are in the final days before they Sublime - sort of an ascending - when events come along to endanger it.

It's good but I didn't enjoy this one as much as "Surface Detail" and it's a little bit down to the characters not being quite as engaging. This included the various ships where, there being so many, not one of them really stood out for me.
    Characters aside the plot was pretty good and, despite weaving about a little, came to one of the most satisfying conclusions of his books (certainly a stronger end than "Surface Detail"). In fact the last fifth or so was very strong with some excellent action sequences thrown in.

Iain M. Banks brought a superb series to us in his Culture novels. While "The Hydrogen Sonata" isn't his best, it's only because some of the rest are excellent. He's a talent that will be sorely missed.

Finished "Tigana" by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's an excellent novel, dealing with what happens when a nation's identity is wiped from the minds of everyone but its conquered citizens and the lengths they will go to to reclaim it.

What works here is the strength Kay puts into his characters, making them believable and multi-dimensional. Particular noteworthy is how he crafts one of the chief villians, Brandin, and the relationship with his concubine Dianora.

The plot itself involves a fair bit of manipulation and cunning and in fact the series reminds me in tone, and approach, of Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet (although that was published after this novel). Since I rated that very highly, I'm pleased I can say this is excellent too and manages to particularly noteworthy for being so self contained. It's inspired me to check out more of this author's works.

• Advertisement

Finished "Particle Horizon" by Selso Xisto. It's a book that I picked up when I saw it was free having never heard of the author (it's his debut work).

It's the tale of a research facility, stationed inside a hollowed asteroid, that's attacked by a group of religious fanatics. It's told from the perspective of some of those living there, the invading fanatics and members of the squad who come to fight them off.

I had relatively low expectations of an unknown Kindle author so I was very happy that this book was actually very good. Xisto was very good at describing the scenes, made interesting characters, let the plot flow at a strong pace and built towards a satisfying climax. I was never bored and I was surprised at how quickly I read through it. My only quibbles were that the religion vs science angle wasn't explored as deeply as I'd liked (or as balanced really) and that the book needed further editing in parts - far too many times I saw "its" and "it's" being used incorrectly.
    Overall though I remain impressed and would be keen to see what he produces next. A good find that the Kindle's made possible.

Finished "Magician's End" by Raymond E. Feist. It's the third book in his Chaoswar Saga but more significantly the final book in his Riftwar series. It's a series I've been reading for over twenty years so this one was quite nostalgic.

Thankfully, in some ways, Feist was also feeling nostalgic. There are numerous references to other books in the series, particularly the first few. These references are a little forced at times, somewhat of a deus ex machina, but he just about pulls it off as they're used to unfurl the main A-plot where the stakes are ridiculously high.
    The A-plot feels suitably epic and involves the characters we've known (and I've liked) over years. It draws in multiple arcs from the previous series and the pay off in the end works.
    The B-plot, involving a civil war, by contrast feels mundane. It's generally with characters we've only known for a couple of books and it's much harder to care with the A-plot being much more interesting.

In terms of pacing, the first half is a little slow. The A-plot suffers a little from exposition and the B-plot from manoeuvring pieces. In the second half both pick up momentum and I was satisfied with their ends.

Editing wasn't nearly as sloppy as previous books although I do think Feist's prose could be tightened at times. It's perfunctory but I can't help but notice the overuse of "suddenly" for example or the same turns of phrases within a few sentences of each other.

Overall, I'm happy with this final piece. Perfect? No but I was satisfied and I felt I got a decent goodbye to a series I began about 22 years ago.

Finished "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins, the final book in her Hunger Games trilogy.

It's quite different to the other two books in that there are no hunger games this time around. Instead, it's taking a bigger step up as people prepare to fight back with Katniss as a (very) reluctant figurehead.
    Now this, when it's being adapted to film, is going to be split into two books and I'm wondering how they'll achieve this. The first part of "Mockingjay" is quite slow with only a few "action" scenes. It's done well enough but a lot of it is more to do with internal character struggles.
    The second half picks up and delivers quite a lot. It's also quite bleak. The downbeat permeates a lot of this novel so there's not much in the way of "fun" (then that's the same for the trilogy as a whole).
    There's a few decent twists and there is room for character growth. "Catnip" isn't always likeable but she is quite believable.

Overall, I was pleased with how they handled this and the character arcs. It'll be interesting to see if the Hollywood adaptation is faithful or if it tries to take it down a more lighter route.

Took a little bit of time to finish off "The Guns of Avalon" by Roger Zelzany, the second book in his Amberverse series. I'd been slowly reading through it over the last few weeks which, given how short it is, will say a lot.

There's something about this series that's meant, so far, I could never really get into it. Perhaps it's to do with the almost abstract nature of the worlds they're traversing - I never really get a feel for where the characters are because they're moving between different versions of the world as they move towards the city of Amber at its heart.
    I also found it difficult to care much about the main character (whose viewpoint the story is told from). I never really felt I got to know him or those he encounters.

For me the series so far, even though seen as a classic, has not yet gripped me. I'll probably continue on the basis I bought the first five but it certainly isn't anything I'm going to rush into.

Also polished off "The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography" by Simon Singh. Another book that's been around for ages - a productive day.

There's no real solid reason it took me so long other than I've a strong preference for fictional works. The title clearly says what it's about and I thought Singh did an excellent job of describing the history of cryptography right from the earlier days and how, each time, the various systems thought unbreakable were solved.
    The only issue was (and one the author could never avoid) how old some of the chapters on "current" computer cryptography seemed (no surprise since it was 1999 when the book was written). Shame it couldn't be updated but it was still interesting to get a history and many of the core principals still apply.

An excellent overview of cryptography that's accessible to everyone.

• Advertisement

Finished Charles Stross's "Jennifer Morgue", the second book in his Laundry series.

Really enjoyed this one. A fun take on the Bond tropes mixed in with geeky computing and a large dose of Cthulhu. There's some great black humour in it as it digs in at a range of topics from civil service bureaucracy, PowerPoint and spy movies.

It also comes with a short story (which isn't of a similar quality) and an amusing piece on the evolution of Bond, including a superb follow up interview with a former boss of SPECTRE.

Looking forward to reading the next one in this series to see what insanity his mind can think up.

Finished "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan, the first book in his "Raven's Shadow" series. Like Hugh Howey's "Wool" series, it's another self-published Kindle success story which has also moved to an actual publisher for the next instalment.
    And he deserves his success. In structure this tale mirrors Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles, where a veteran recounts the tale of how he went from a young man to a famed killer. It's not quite as sharp as "The Name of the Wind" but Ryan's Vaelin is a likeable character and he's very capable of doing the most important task of an author: He made me want to keep reading. Yes, there's clichéd moments at times and nothing is startlingly original, bur it was a genuine page/screen turner and a very enjoyable read. Another victory for the freedom that the Kindle gave to the market.

Finished "The Unravelling" by Hugh Howey, the fourth book in his Wool series. It's another Kindle-success story and this one is a very good instalment in the series. It nicely ties together elements from the previous three books, expands the scope of the story and features good characterisation. Much like I commented on with Anthony Ryan, it's no surprise that Howey has found deserved fame from his work here. As smart and well written as many experienced authors who came down the traditional publishing route.

Finished "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut. It was a bizarre little novel, a mediation on the events, and subsequent PTSD, of a veteran (based on Vonnegut) after he is caught up in the events leading to the bombing of Dresden in World War 2.

I picked it up because of the sci-fi elements to it (such as they are) and how it's used to describe the reactions to trauma. It read well and I can see why it's popular, although not quite what I'd usually go for. Certainly elements of it will linger in my head but, on the classic front, I far preferred '1984' as social commentary (okay, a bit unfair to compare them but my experience of classic literature that incorporates sci-fi, rather than straight out sci-fi, is limited).

Also recently finished "Silently and Very Fast" by Catherynne M. Valente, in a bid to clear a backlog of shorter works and make my reading pile seem smaller.
    This novella - originally published in three issues of a sci-fi magazine - is about the emergence of a sentient AI that began originally as a household management program.

It's.. odd. It's quite heavy and deals with elements like anthropology, sentience, myth, etc. Lots of unusual imagery as the AI explores dreamscapes created by the occupants of the house and bodies/gender/concepts get rapidly switched around. If it was any longer this fusion mix, while nicely rendered, would have been a bit too heavy. Short as it is it works but something a bit more in the regular narrative vein, as opposed to almost completely outside of it, would work better for my next read.

And then, continuing with the novella trend, I finish "Angel's Kiss" by Melody Mallone / Justin Richards. It's a short little story told by Doctor Who's Riversong, a precursor to a Season 33 story ("Angels Take Manhattan"). Richards has perfectly captured Riversong's character and dialogue so the fact that the plot is fairly weak doesn't matter as it's short and entertaining.

Another novella down: "Emperor's Soul" by Brandon Sanderson. In a short 160 pages, Sanderson creates a magic system more intriguing than most authors manage over 1600 pages and it's this magic system - a series of "stamps" that re-write the history of an object - that are at the front of a story where a Forger must try and forge the soul of an emperor.

Sanderson created some good characters along with the magic system and even got to throw in some good action sequences. An excellent little novella from one of my, by now, favourite fantasy authors.

Finished "Mingames: Fool's Mate" by Neal Asher, his earliest work that he re-published as a Kindle novella.

Well he did say it was a bit of an experiment dusting off this old piece which is just as well because it's not very good. The plot, gathering fighters from different eras of human history to fight, is reminiscent of the old Doctor Who Season 6 classic "The War Games". Unfortunately there's no interesting character like the Doctor, Zoe, or Jamie Crimmon to offset this. The lead is quite forgettable.

The weak characterisation might be okay if it was made up for in other elements but it's not. The world has none of the great flavour of his Polity-verse and none of its black humour. There's no presence of the twisted alien ecology he lives for. Unlike with "Parasite", his other novella, there's really no sense at all of what he would eventually bring with excellent works like "Orbus" and "The Technician".

Honestly, it's a curio that's probably best avoided. Asher is capable of so much better (e.g. everything else he's written) and it's not really worth your time here.

Finished "The Straits of Galahesh" , book two of "The Lays of Anuskaya" series by Bradley P. Beaulieu.

This fantasy book's quite refreshing, fusing a mix of Russian culture and Arabian. Picking up from the first book a few years on, it details the desperate plight to close rifts that threaten to destroy a world. The magic is elemental in basis (reminding me a little of Avatar: The Last Airbender at times) and well thought out.

The plot is a little confusing at times - not sure if that's a criticism of it or more of my attention span. The prose is dense enough and there's next to no levity to lighten the mood. R. Scott Bakker would be proud. The use of Russian/Arabian settings means a lot more unfamiliar terms than normal and names that require a little bit more effort - it's good that he's trying but it can be trying in itself.

Overall it's a worthy series so far and good to see someone trying to knock something out a bit different. Tough enough going but I think it's going to be worth it.

Finished "The Stranded" by Hugh Howey, the fifth and final book in his Wool series (which is one third of the Silo series itself).

Thought this was excellent. It kept right up with the momentum and characters from the fourth book and delivered a pay off, whilst leaving itself open for the upcoming 'Dust' sequel. Howey's prose was involving and perfectly pitched - never got bogged down, painted the picture perfectly and got me caring for his characters.
    Howie is deserving of joining the million-dollar self-published Kindle circle and I look forward to the next instalment.

• Advertisement

... And I followed an excellent book with "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence, the first book in his Broken Empire series. A series I won't be reading any more of because I really did not like this book at all.

It's a revenge tale of a young prince who sees his brother and mother slaughtered and it's "dark". Jorg cruelly kills as he forces himself to walk a dark path. Unfortunately it made the character not just somebody you couldn't like but didn't because they just weren't interesting. It reminded me of Brent Weeks: a moody emo guy, who was just trying too hard. Since it was a a first person novel you couldn't escape and the characters around him were thinly sketched.
    If you want to do a bastard right, look at Abercrombie, Bakker, or more recently Richard Morgan. I could actually empathise them despite their serious flaws. I didn't care less here.

The story that backs it isn't particularly interesting, despite the potential of the setting of the world. It's also marred by weak prose, the sort I'd find in some of the weaker self-published authors.

I might be missing something, because it's gotten praise elsewhere (so did Brent Weeks though). As it stands, one of the most disappointing and weakest reads of the year so far. Not a chance I'm buying the next book.

Finished "The Silent Stars Go By" by Dan Abnett, a Doctor Who novel featuring the 11th Doctor and Rory and Amy.

I enjoyed this one - it was a good tale and featured the under-used Ice Warriors. Abnett got the characters of Rory and the Doctor spot on, although not quite as convinced with his Amy.

The plot - a forgotten colony - was well done and there were some decent twists. Pacing built to a climax as it should, with decent points in between.

It's not as deep as some of the older NAs from the '90s but it's a good slice of "New Who".

Finished off "Darwin's Children" by Greg Bear, a sequel to his book "Darwin's Radio" and one that I had been reading on and off for weeks.

It was a pretty decent read but I'll admit to being quite lost during the heavy biology pieces when characters discuss SHEVA, a virus that has created a new breed of humanity with new characteristics that frighten the regular humans. The book is about how the world reacts to this new evolution of humanity.

Character wise it's grand, although nobody in particular stands out. As mentioned the science is heavy and took me out a little - Bear is quite demanding on your ability to understand cellular biology and even with the primer at the back (which I only discovered at the end!) it could be tough. There was one oddity in it for me, of a religious nature, that took me out a little but Bear does discuss it in a short piece at the end.

Since I found the novel a little bland, I'm not going to outright recommend it but it's still a fair follow up to "Darwin's Radio".

Finished the novella "The Wurms of Blearmouth" by Steven Erikson, the fifth in his Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach series and a direct sequel to "Lees of Laughter's End".
    It's slim but it's got Erikson's humour in droves - plenty of enjoyable banter between characters. It's got a little bit of darkness, some high magic, and nods from gods. A fun little piece.

Finished "Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears" by William Hertling, the first book in his Singularity series. 'Twas a short read which is why I got through it in a day but also an enjoyable one which is the second reason I got through it.

Avogadro Corp is a thinly disguised Google. The lead of the story, David Ryan, is working on an R&D project to create a predictive model of content of an e-mail. Unfortunately, he ends up coding a little too well and begins to create a sentient system that will ensure its own survival.

It was a bit of a novel of two halves - the first half, showing the growth of the sentient eLOPE system - is well done and quite realistic (no surprise as the author is a software engineer). The second half I found to be a lot ropier as the speed of events seems utterly unbelievable as well as the mechanisms used to bring it about. Its complete implausibility contrasted against the first half.

Still though, the pacing was good and the writing, while somewhat perfunctory, kept it going. No stand out characters but the novel only cost me about €2 and there's enough here to make me purchase the next instalment.

Finished Orson Scott Card's short story anthology "Intergalactic Medicine Show Volume #1". It's a selection of the best stories from the magazine of the same name by multiple authors.

Quite enjoyed this - the selection is very diverse and there's no real common theme between the stories which works in this case. There's hard sci-fi, humorous post-apocalyptic stories, fairy tales, horror and others in here.

Since I paid a grand total of nothing for it I thought it was great value but it's also worth the Kindle asking price of £3.50.

Finished "The Scarab Path" by Adrian Tchaikovsky , the fifth book in his Shadows of the Apt series.

It picks up a while after the first four books kicking off a new plot arc and featuring some of the original characters from the first four. These happened to be my favourite characters of the series and I really liked how Tchaikovsky handled how they had been changed from the events of the previous book. Some interesting relationships are developed here.
    The plot also brings in a nice mystery as they try to uncover the secret of the Masters of a far-flung city with potential consequences, I assume, for future books. Threats from the previous books are also subtly moved along.

I felt this was probably the strongest in the series yet and Tchaikovsky did a good job of balancing characters, plot, and action. Moved along nicely and I will of course be back for the sixth instalment.

Also finished "Shadows Linger" by Glen Book, one of his Black Company books. The series was an inspiration for Erikson's superb Malazan series but, in all honesty, it's not a patch on it. I can see that the troops fighting a war are reminiscent of a Malazan army group like the Bridgeburners but it's got nothing else - it has none of the humour, the characters are flat and interchangeable, the plot feels directionless, the prose perfunctory. I'll only read the third book because I bought it and it won't be for a long time.

Finished "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abott. Thanks to Project Guttenberg, it cost me nothing to read this odd tale from the 1880s about a resident of a 2D world called flatland. The first half is the narrator's attempt to explain how society functions in a world without height and it's done quite well. The second half concerns what happens when he meets someone from a 3D world and how you'd explain it.

It's a very interesting little piece and Abott put a bit of thought into mapping it out. The satirical elements are there but, as I don't live in Victorian London, not quite as contemporary as they once were! The apparent sexism - women are decidedly Irrational and dumb in this - might show its age (although I'm aware the author said that wasn't his intent).

It was really like nothing else I've read and, being short, was an enjoyable oddity.

• Advertisement

Finished "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronvitch, the first book in his PC Grant series.

It's urban fantasy which is a genre that reminded me a little of China Miéville's Kraken. Grant is a cop who ends up working in an old branch of London's police force that deals with supernatural occurrences. In this case it's a string of mysterious violent rampages that are connected. Being urban fantasy the fabric of the city, its character, also plays an important part.

It was enjoyable for the most. It's easy to read and the characters are likeable. It lacked the nerdy element of Charles Stross's Laundry series (which are broadly urban fantasy) so it didn't drag me in as much but there was a bit of substance there to make me return for the next book.

Advertisement