Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for 750m swim.

• 06-02-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am looking for tips on the best approach for building myself up to a 750m swim in July as part of a Triathlon. Should I be attempting to do it all in one go (30 laps) in training of should it be broken down? What should one aim for in terms of timing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

For so few words it really is a big question. Can you answer a few questions first?

Where is your swimming at the moment? Can you do 750m front crawl and if so what kind of time can you do it in? Or what is your 50m time like?

How many sessions a week swimming are you going to commit to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Where is your swimming at the moment? Can you do 750m front crawl and if so what kind of time can you do it in?
    Not all at once.
    Or what is your 50m time like?
    about 40-50 seconds
    How many sessions a week swimming are you going to commit to?
    I can do one, MAYBE 2 days a week in the pool as I will be doing other training during the week (triathlon)

If you can only commit to once a week then I'd say the most important thing is to build up your swim fitness to get you to be able to do 750m straight off.

Something like
    Warm Up - 2 x (50m Front crawl, 50m Back Stroke)
    Main Set - 8 x (100m with 30s rest)
    Cool down - 100m Breast Stroke.

Play with the distance in the main set so some weeks for example you might be doing 4 x 200m or 2 x 400m and then adjust the rest times downwards so you might be doing the same with just a 10s rest. After a few months (or earlier if you feel up to it) try and do the 750m in one go to gauge your fitness level. If you feel good after that maybe look to join a club and train with them once a week.

If you can manage to get to a level of sustaining 40-50s 50m's you will be in the top few out of the pool.

If you can only commit to once a week then I'd say the most important thing is to build up your swim fitness to get you to be able to do 750m straight off.

Something like
    Warm Up - 2 x (50m Front crawl, 50m Back Stroke)
    Main Set - 8 x (100m with 30s rest)
    Cool down - 100m Breast Stroke.

Play with the distance in the main set so some weeks for example you might be doing 4 x 200m or 2 x 400m and then adjust the rest times downwards so you might be doing the same with just a 10s rest. After a few months (or earlier if you feel up to it) try and do the 750m in one go to gauge your fitness level. If you feel good after that maybe look to join a club and train with them once a week.

If you can manage to get to a level of sustaining 40-50s 50m's you will be in the top few out of the pool.

Excellent.

Excellent.
    Right so I can just about manage 50meters in 50s, but I need a break for a minute after that. Thought I was fitter than this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭spence101

I'm in the same boat, thought I was a much stronger swimmer until I actually got in the water to do the 750m.

But in the space of about 3 weeks I've gone from struggling at about 300m to being well able for the 750m and decreasing my times every week.

But like you, I still need my breaks in between so I've been doing interval training in the pool and really concentrating on improving my stroke.

So what I've been doing in the past week and it seems to be improving my times, is a warm up set of 200m, then 100m at steady pace, 15 second break, 100m at a steady pace, 30 second- 1 minute break, then another 100m x 2 sets and finally for the 150m I try to complete it without any break.

So decreasing intervals really seem to be working for me, someone please correct me if I'm way off!

been following this plan to a small extent. http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

spence101 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, thought I was a much stronger swimmer until I actually got in the water to do the 750m.

But in the space of about 3 weeks I've gone from struggling at about 300m to being well able for the 750m and decreasing my times every week.

But like you, I still need my breaks in between so I've been doing interval training in the pool and really concentrating on improving my stroke.

So what I've been doing in the past week and it seems to be improving my times, is a warm up set of 200m, then 100m at steady pace, 15 second break, 100m at a steady pace, 30 second- 1 minute break, then another 100m x 2 sets and finally for the 150m I try to complete it without any break.

So decreasing intervals really seem to be working for me, someone please correct me if I'm way off!

been following this plan to a small extent. http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

Excellent. Do you think training one day a week is enough? I have about 12-16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭griffin100

Excellent. Do you think training one day a week is enough? I have about 12-16 weeks.

You should aim to swim at least twice a week if you can. Even if the second swim is shorter it helps give you a feel for the water and increases your level of comfort in the water.

Plus 1 for at least twice a week.

At the moment I'm doing a forty minute session just concentrating on my stroke, kick and breathing.

The other session I interval train. But at the moment my form goes out the window when I get tired, so I took on an extra session in the pool per week and I'm seeing good progress.

So say, A Saturday Morning and a Tuesday/Wednsday evening?

• Advertisement

Sounds good, you'll feel the results in a few weeks if you were as unprepared as myself getting into the pool!!

Has anybody recommendations for jammers? Where to buy/try on? Should I start a new thread?

I got mine from Chain reaction cycles but most places should sell them

I was worried at first that they would make me look fat. They do :D
    but much easier to swim in than baggy shorts.

yes, they're really good value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

You can do 50m in 40-50 seconds and you're having trouble doing 750m? Something is not right there!

pc11 wrote: »
    You can do 50m in 40-50 seconds and you're having trouble doing 750m? Something is not right there!
    Closer to 50. And I'm boloxed after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Closer to 50. And I'm boloxed after it.
    <note>I was last out of the water in my wave in the 1 and only Olympic Tri I've done</note>

I don't think the speed you can do a single 50m is much of a guide, I've never done an all-out fifty, I've sprinted 25m the odd time but don't usually time them. Can do one in c. 20 sec I think.

Its fairly irrelevant, I've never done 750 in the pool in under 16 mins.

Look at it this way someone who's fairly fit from running, or soccer could probably do a lap of a velodrome on a bike fairly fast, however if they've no cycling experience they could struggle to complete 40 km, certainly they'd suffer afterward.

I don't think you should worry too much about time.

Can you do 400m without a break in the pool?

Can you do 750m without a break?

Don't just swim long distances with out a break either, but knowing you can do 750 would be good psychologically.

Its all about technique.(I need to improve mine!)

Some useful ideas in this tread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056529153

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I assume your tri in July is going to be in a lake or the sea... if thats the case you will find it easier in the lake once you can overcome any fear that you have of the open water.

I find that when I am in the pool, I find it hard to get into a rhythm, whereas in the lake, you can easily do this, and just flow. If I go to the pool on my own I get bored after about 40 lenghts, and hit the hot tub... I just cant seem to do any more on my own, yet we do a swim session in my club every monday, and we cover about 2.2 k with out any bother.

I did my first sprint tri 3 years ago on 1 weeks swimming, and as I couldn't really swim, I did the 750 either breast or back strokes, and finished in 27 minutes. last year, I did the same swim in 13 minutes, and even managed an olympic last summer. Based on what you have said, you can swim! and once you get into the lake, and a good rhythm, you'll be fine. Try a few OW swims first though as the shock can be a problem on race day. July is a long time away yet!!!

Good Luck,
    Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pc11 wrote: »

50m sprint can be hold your breath and bash out the length.

won't work so well for 750m

• Advertisement

Are there any triathlon clubs in south Dublin it classes for beginners that anyone can recommend?

Advertisement