Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society - CAPTAINS DAY 20th September 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

bobster453 wrote: »
    No room for golf food beers with charlie and then get the missus to collect me??..seeing as how i only live half an hour away

Feck the hotel, we're all staying at your house!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just to confirm as I mentioned to the lads earlier in Roscrea, I've sorted things out & I'm a yes now for golf & a night down in Kilkenny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I haven't made any outings due to work commitments but am based in KK and would love to attend. If ye are tight on space obviously preference will be given to those who've been previously but stick my name down in any case...

Would be great to put faces to [user]names...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I was saying to hole in one . Just go ahead and book 20 beds . Twin rooms or 3 singles.

We have 13 . Space is 14 .

I know of 1 other and we haven't even got started.

Imagine we should get 20.

Fair play hole in one. We didn't find it easy to get rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Stick me down as well guys hotel and golf and pole.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If i make it it will be golf only :)

Hotel Details are as follows, holeinone has provisionally booked the last 7 triple rooms in Kilkenny!! Its the Kilford Arms, price is €180 for the room B&B.
    I haven't cancelled my booking either so if we go over the 21 we can use the 4 spots available there.

We'll make a definite list 2 weeks before the event to let holeinone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Hotel Details are as follows, holeinone has provisionally booked the last 7 triple rooms in Kilkenny!! Its the Kilford Arms, price is €180 for the room B&B.
    I haven't cancelled my booking either so if we go over the 21 we can use the 4 spots available there.

We'll make a definite list 2 weeks before the event to let holeinone know.

Cheers to holeinone, looking forward to a good aul session!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Playing MJ today, bit of reconnaissance before the big day...

Yep. Ill be in mj! Ryder jug is still on and I wont be cut from the last outing. Mj off 2 ? No problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

One silver lining to the disappointment at the Gaelic Grounds earlier, is that I can stay the night in Kilkenny :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Yep. Ill be in mj! Ryder jug is still on and I wont be cut from the last outing. Mj off 2 ? No problem!

God i dont even remember posting this. I must have been super drunk last night.

I might be able to stay in kilkenny too, but dont save any space for me in the hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIE-cF2OChc

Looks challenging but fun :P

'Typical Nicklaus design, lots of water' :eek:

I'll be stocking up on the balls, both figuratively and literally ahead of this one :pac:

Edit: Took me ten minutes to post that, the embed got the better of me, a sign I should be in bed :o

Is Mount Juliet well signposted from Kilkenny ? I won't have a sat nav thingy.

By the looks of it you head down the non motorway road to waterford and make for Thomastown/New Ross.

Though if Mount Juliet itself is well signposted from Kilkenny, I'll be grand :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Is Mount Juliet well signposted from Kilkenny ? I won't have a sat nav thingy.

By the looks of it you head down the non motorway road to waterford and make for Thomastown/New Ross.

Though if Mount Juliet itself is well signposted from Kilkenny, I'll be grand :)

Yes, you head the old Waterford Road and when you get to a village called Stoneyford, on the far side of the village there is a school with a left fork turn up a hill.... take the turn and follow your nose, no more than 5 minutes from there.

For anyone coming from Dublin, you take the exit for Stoneyford and follow directions above...... DON'T head for Thomastown

I'll be using my sat nav!! (and lots of balls after looking at the course video again!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIE-cF2OChc

Looks challenging but fun :P

'Typical Nicklaus design, lots of water' :eek:

I'll be stocking up on the balls, both figuratively and literally ahead of this one :pac:

Edit: Took me ten minutes to post that, the embed got the better of me, a sign I should be in bed :o

I read 'lots of water' and though, no there isn't! Then I actually though about it!!

1st, little stream few yards from tee box.... really no issues
    2nd stream crosses fairway and then up right side. it will catch your drives if you are not long enough, as in a poor hit shot, we all have the length to carry it, but if you are right... watch out!
    3rd par 3 over a lake... now that's a water hole!
    4th par 4 no water off tee, but lake to right of fairway further up and right of green which runs around the back
    5th no water
    6th no water
    7th no water
    8th no water
    9th no water
    10th no water
    11th -- par, with a stream half way and a nice waterfall. no issues really
    12th no water
    13th index 1 long par 4, lake in front of green, risk it or lay up????
    14th - same stream as 11 flowing out of the lake from 13, it really shouldn't be an issue
    15th no water
    16th no water
    17th, if you pull or hook your tee shots you could be in trouble here, big lake here in front of the tee box and all the way up the left of your tee shot
    18th, same lake as 17, but it only starts from when tee shots would start to land, again on the left

So yea, I guess there is a lot of water, but TBH, I have generally found it might not be a daunting as it may appear

Actually scratch all that, yea there is shed loads of water, bring savage amount of balls, waders, fishing rods, hell just concede now and don't even bother going :D

Oh yea, is this what you were trying to do ;)

I find the likelihood of a golf ball finding the water is directly related to the cost of the ball and inversely related to the amount of shots taken with said ball :pac:

How many thousand posts you got Stevie, by that time I'll be a boards master :P

THERE IS NO WATER

I find the likelihood of a golf ball finding the water is directly related to the cost of the ball and inversely related to the amount of shots taken with said ball :pac:

How many thousand posts you got Stevie, by that time I'll be a boards master :P

haha, brand new pro v1, out of the box, guaranteed to find water... even if it's 4 holes over!!

• Advertisement

stevieob wrote: »
    haha, brand new pro v1, out of the box, guaranteed to find water... even if it's 4 holes over!!

Whereas a battered ultra will bounce off a stone in the middle of the lake back onto the fairway, they lead a charmed existence do ultras, you have to throw them away in the end, you can't lose the buggers :pac:

Whereas a battered ultra will bounce off a stone in the middle of the lake back onto the fairway, they lead a charmed existence do ultras, you have to throw them away in the end, you can't lose the buggers :pac:

I've my trusty Dunlop ddh balls that I picked up with my gowran win. They served me reasonably well in roscrea (even if Fix did comment that they werent a good enough ball for me :-) )

Might just have to take the plunge and break out the better balls for Mount Juliet though...it is captains after all & I'll need that soft touch round the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Funny, because true Space.
    You were closest to most par 3s - so worked.

Way my game is now - fancy swapping them for a few PROv1s rewashed.

Actually they are rewashed - then re-rewashed in about the only real water hazard on my course.

Them ProVs are a curse. think I've 1 or 2 hidden in the bag somewhere. Maybe will switch to them just for the par 3s (and promptly dump them into the drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Whats the last tee time lads, another spanner in the works but trying to get around it.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Whats the last tee time lads, another spanner in the works but trying to get around it.

We've enough slots for 28 people so probably an hour after first group?

Have all the regular members got the teamer text? I'll send the rest next week

Cheers CharlieIRL, is that around the 1:30 mark?

Didn't get any txt Charlie. I got the email & app notifications though

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Cheers CharlieIRL, is that around the 1:30 mark?

We have from 12:20 to 13:20, there is a starter there all the time so we may be tight to these times. Could you be there for 13:20? Can come out in the last group with me.

• Advertisement

We have from 12:20 to 13:20, there is a starter there all the time so we may be tight to these times. Could you be there for 13:20? Can come out in the last group with me.

Sound good, will confirm early next week

Advertisement