Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Racing Calendar

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    From the way boards.ie was spoken of at the AGM I'd say fat chance........
    The ex-President made it absolutely clear to me he doesn't "do" Boards. I think the current one is far more amenable to listening to what the wider membership have to say rather than a small number of vocal people who have probably had more than their fair share of influence in the past

I also think we showed pretty clearly over the past 12 months the power the membership can wield when it puts its mind to it, and tbh this is the only online discussion site in Ireland that has a significant number of grass-roots members contributing from across the board with a wide range (and in my view reasonably representative) of views

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

lennymc wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? I thought they were gone from April last year. I didn't hear anything about them coming back at the AGM, but maybe I missed it.

I just know. Yes they are gone from April lay year but CI held onto the use of them until April 1st, more as a safety net in the event of the usual licencing chaos that normally ensues with the road racing season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

bcmf wrote: »
    I take it the one day license is gone.
    GMCI wrote: »
    One day licences are available again until April 1st.

I have twittered @IreCyclingFred (sic) about the one day license

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    The ex-President made it absolutely clear to me he doesn't "do" Boards.

Probably better off that way. Splinters are a bugger to get out of your hand. Imagine getting one in the nudge nudge wink wink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

This thread is gone totally off topic. Beasty, what are you at? Btw, did anyone see Fair City last night, I missed the RTE Player version. Can some fill me in quickly? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

So if someone was to get the club licence one and then decided to upgrade to the full racing licence, do they pay full whack on both or would the price of the first one be deducted from the second?

I know if the latter was the case you would rope in a considerably bigger number of racers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My understanding is that you've just go to pay the difference.

This thread is gone totally off topic. Beasty, what are you at? Btw, did anyone see Fair City last night, I missed the RTE Player version. Can some fill me in quickly? :D

You never thanked my post where I very kindly provided you with a link to the 2014 events calendar with some very difficult and laborious google-fu-ing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Is there any nice spread sheet of the events like the one morana had last year? As handy as the google calendar is it's pretty awful at usability when there are lots of races on the one day. Spread sheets are also handy for filtering eg, races only and by province.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You never thanked my post where I very kindly provided you with a link to the 2014 events calendar with some very difficult and laborious google-fu-ing :mad:
    I think he's busy so I've thanked it to soothe your madness ...

• Advertisement

Shadow78 wrote: »
    Is there any nice spread sheet of the events like the one morana had last year? As handy as the google calendar is it's pretty awful at usability when there are lots of races on the one day. Spread sheets are also handy for filtering eg, races only and by province.
    I agree that's a better format. They had one at the AGM so I'm sure it's available, but alas without our "mole" we don't tend to see this sort of stuff any more ...

(BTW Ulster do put their calendars up in spreadsheet form on their own website)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I believe there are ways of importing a Google calendar into a spreadsheet, but I haven't attempted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    So if someone was to get the club licence one and then decided to upgrade to the full racing licence, do they pay full whack on both or would the price of the first one be deducted from the second?

I know if the latter was the case you would rope in a considerably bigger number of racers.

I did exactly this last year. Just paid the extra on top of the club licence fee I had already paid.

On the calendar you can filter by clicking the down rrow next to where it says "Agenda". Would still be nice to have a pdf I can print out and stick on the fridge door and that says which categories they apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Would still be nice to have a pdf I can print out and stick on the fridge door and that says which categories they apply to.

If you click on the Print option on the calendar it will give you an option to save as a PDF, just fill in the date range you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Beasty wrote: »
    I think he's busy so I've thanked it to soothe your madness ...

+1...just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Reason it works down to too 40 in Belgium is local businesses all chip in a couple f quid sponsorship to have the event in their town or village.
    Majority of races here don't have sponsors and run basically on what sign on money comes in that morning. Plus many race are finishing on back roads to avoid traffic issues and congestion. Sponsors won't chip in for that. Vicious circle really

Timmy Barry wrote a good article somewhere (sticky bottle?) about this issue recently. He argued that cycling needs to get back into the towns and this will bring sponsors. Easier said than done, I know, but Rene Van Dam has done a great job in Nenagh. Clubs size is also an issue as many are too small and as a result underresourced.

I think it would be great to have a crit series for all cats.
    I thought the crit in Balbriggan was great and used to race the crit in Finglas (back in the Black and White days)
    Get the local councils on board.
    EG
    A friday night crit series in Fingal (Balbriggan, Skerries, Blanch/Castleknock Malahide) and so on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭wav1

on topic handbooks are supposed to be available from next week including the calender.
    off topic...Rene does do a great job in getting the race in to Nenagh,but you have to remember that they are sponsored by the local authority/tourism,so he would have a heads up there.Not that easy to get races in to towns.May appear easy from the outside,but believe me its not.feel free to try.I think it would be great by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

When I added th CI calendar into my calendar last week there were separate calendars for each discipline per province. So you can show Leinster racing only, if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

hi guys

i do a bit of cycling nothing competive yet

would like to give a race a go

based in dublin

any suggestions on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

wav1 wrote: »
    on topic handbooks are supposed to be available from next week including the calender.
    off topic...Rene does do a great job in getting the race in to Nenagh,but you have to remember that they are sponsored by the local authority/tourism,so he would have a heads up there.Not that easy to get races in to towns.May appear easy from the outside,but believe me its not.feel free to try.I think it would be great by the way..

There was a crit proposed for Greystones last year but I believe the workload was incredible. Never got off the ground in the end.

theenergy wrote: »
    hi guys

i do a bit of cycling nothing competive yet

would like to give a race a go

based in dublin

any suggestions on this?

I would highly suggest joining a club and do the their club league a shot before getting involved in the 'chaos' of an open race.
    Where abouts are you?
    I have just sent an email enquiring about the one day license as I didnt get a response form their twitter and couldnt get through on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GMCI

bcmf wrote: »
    I have just sent an email enquiring about the one day license as I didnt get a response form their twitter and couldnt get through on the phone.

I gave you the response already. It's in the 2014 technical and administrative regulations (rule book) that One Day Licences are available until April 1st. See below (ODL term has been renamed an "event licence"

"15. An appropriate Event Licence will permit the holder to participate as a rider in Cycling Ireland Events excluding
    • Criteriums,
    • Stage Races
    • AllNationalChampionships
    • Open Massed Start or Open Handicapped Races after the 1st April each year.
    Officials may take out an Event Licence at any time. Such Event Licence fulfils the requirements of rule T1. Such licence grants the holder membership of Cycling Ireland for insurance purposes only, in respect of that event only."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I gave you the response already. It's in the 2014 technical and administrative regulations (rule book) that One Day Licences are available until April 1st. See below (ODL term has been renamed an "event licence"

"15. An appropriate Event Licence will permit the holder to participate as a rider in Cycling Ireland Events excluding
    • Criteriums,
    • Stage Races
    • AllNationalChampionships
    • Open Massed Start or Open Handicapped Races after the 1st April each year.
    Officials may take out an Event Licence at any time. Such Event Licence fulfils the requirements of rule T1. Such licence grants the holder membership of Cycling Ireland for insurance purposes only, in respect of that event only."

are you working for CI now GM?

if so it will be great to have you around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Slo_Rida wrote: »

u pay only the difference , but whether the new azolve system is set up to handle such a transaction is a whole different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

What I don't understand is that the 2014 process of getting an event onto the calander for this year, required more information than ever, categories, contacts, secondary contacts. links for maps, took forever, but we struggled on thinking, the end user will have every possible detail to find the race start, contact names, location, club, fecken everything, people needing all this information will be delighted as everything was being asked for by CI for an event submission, , but then.. the calander as produced ..... has the usual nothing.. like there is a race on sunday and here is a map link to Cork , it is on in cork.......then needing a visit to google to try find race details ..... WTF.....

Maybe CI should produce the calander first before getting paid affiliation fees or membership fees.

Sure hope CI plan to produce a decent calander containing all the required information, we have submitted all the information.

A calander is an essential tool for CI, and its business but maybe an AGM is motion is needed to tell CI to produce a decent calander.

am I asking Wayyy tooo much ?

think we need a cycling regulator .........

morana wrote: »
    are you working for CI now GM?

if so it will be great to have you around here.

I got the same impression when I read these...
    I gave you the response already.
    I just know.

Nice and direct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

michael196 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that the 2014 process of getting an event onto the calander for this year, required more information than ever, categories, contacts, secondary contacts. links for maps, took forever, but we struggled on thinking, the end user will have every possible detail to find the race start, contact names, location, club, fecken everything, people needing all this information will be delighted as everything was being asked for by CI for an event submission, , but then.. the calander as produced ..... has the usual nothing.. like there is a race on sunday and here is a map link to Cork , it is on in cork.......then needing a visit to google to try find race details ..... WTF.....

Maybe CI should produce the calander first before getting paid affiliation fees or membership fees.

Sure hope CI plan to produce a decent calander containing all the required information, we have submitted all the information.

A calander is an essential tool for CI, and its business but maybe an AGM is motion is needed to tell CI to produce a decent calander.

the BC is very good and each event has its own page. It would be great if t
    hey produced something along those lines.

for example have a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Last year's pdf was great, this is a Leinster Competitions Events cut and paste job people might find easy to reference although its very long and may hurt people's eyes/brains :), if I don't know the race I search the 2013 above and find out if its A1/2/3/4 etc..

Sunday, February 16

Ned Flanagan Memorial
    Sunday, February 23

Dundalk Cycle Trader's Cup
    Saturday, March 1

Mick Lally Memorial
    Sunday, March 2

Cycleways Cup
    Saturday, March 8

Ras Naomh Finian
    Sunday, March 9

Newbridge Grand Prix
    Sunday, March 16

Boyne GP
    Monday, March 17

St. Patricks Day Race
    Sunday, March 23

Des Hanlon Memorial Race
    Saturday, March 29

Harry Reynolds Memorial Race
    Sunday, March 30

Ben McKenna Memorial Race
    Saturday, April 5

Peter Bidwell Mem

Ras na N'og Youth 2-day
    Sunday, April 6

Coombes Connor Mem
    Tuesday, April 8

Orwell Women's Criterium league Rd.1
    Thursday, April 10

FPM Chartered Accountants League
    Friday, April 11

Brendan Carroll Memorial
    Saturday, April 12

Pat & Monie Nolan Memorial
    Sunday, April 13

Stamullen Grand Prix
    Tuesday, April 15

Mondello Race Series

Thursday, April 17

Saturday, April 19

Gorey 3 Day
    Sunday, April 20

Gorey 3 Day

Ros an Laois
    Monday, April 21

Gorey 3 Day
    Tuesday, April 22

Thursday, April 24

Saturday, April 26

Shay Elliott Memorial
    Sunday, April 27

Waller Cup
    Tuesday, April 29

Mondello Race Series

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Frank O Rourke
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Women's League
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Galibier Velo Time Trial League

Leinster 10 Mile Time Trial Championship
    Thursday, May 8, 2014

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Conway/Baxter youth 2 Stage
    Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dunsany GP
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mondello Race Series

Women's League
    Thursday, May 15, 2014

Louth Road Race Championships
    Sunday, May 18, 2014

An Post Rás
    Monday, May 19, 2014

An Post Rás
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014

An Post Rás

Women's League
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014

An Post Rás
    Thursday, May 22, 2014

An Post Rás

Friday, May 23, 2014

An Post Rás
    Saturday, May 24, 2014

An Post Rás
    Sunday, May 25, 2014

An Post Rás

Barrow Wheelers GP
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mondello Race Series

Women's League
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sam & Betty Darcy memorial Cup
    Sunday, June 1, 2014

Deenside Cup
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Women's League
    Thursday, June 5, 2014

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Duane Delaney Track Grand Prix
    Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sean Nolan Meah GP
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mondello Race Series

Women's League
    Thursday, June 12, 2014

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Christy McManus / Roundwood GP

Lucan youth races
    Sunday, June 15, 2014

Noel and Keiran Hammond Memorials
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Women's League
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Louth 10 Mile Time Trial Championship
    Thursday, June 19, 2014

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wexford wheelers Team Time Trial
    Sunday, June 22, 2014

Paddy Flanagan/Manzer/Ned Flanagan Memorials
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mondello Race Series

Women's League
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Stephen Roche GP
    Thursday, June 26, 2014

National Road Champs
    Saturday, June 28, 2014

National Road Champs
    Sunday, June 29, 2014

National Road Champs
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Louth Womens Time Trial Championship

Women's League
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Seamus Kennedy Memorial
    Thursday, July 3, 2014

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Ballivor GP

Olympic Omnium

Slaney CC Youth Races
    Sunday, July 6, 2014

Eddie Tobin Memorial Road Races

Olympic Omnium
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mondello Race Series
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Leinster 25 Mile Time Trial Championship
    Thursday, July 10, 2014

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Dublin International Track GP

SERC youth 2 day
    Sunday, July 13, 2014

Moynalty Grand Prix
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Junior Tour of Ireland
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Junior Tour of Ireland
    Thursday, July 17, 2014

Junior Tour of Ireland
    Friday, July 18, 2014

Junior Tour of Ireland
    Saturday, July 19, 2014

Danny O'Shea Memorial 10m TT

Junior Tour of Ireland

Tommy Brady Memorial

Youth Track Championships
    Sunday, July 20, 2014

Junior Tour of Ireland
    Thursday, July 24, 2014

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Wexford County Championships
    Sunday, July 27, 2014

Brendan Campbell Mem
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mondello Race Series
    Thursday, July 31, 2014

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Junior Men & Junior Women Track C/ship

Mountnugent GP

Team Sprint / Team Pursuit / Keirin
    Sunday, August 3, 2014

SERC GP
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014

JJ Kinahan Memorial Cycle
    Thursday, August 7, 2014

Louth Womens Road Race Championship
    Saturday, August 9, 2014

Beechmount Cup
    Sunday, August 10, 2014

Collins Christle Memorial
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mondello Race Series
    Thursday, August 14, 2014

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Youth Track Interprovincial
    Thursday, August 21, 2014

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two day
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mondello Race Series
    Thursday, August 28, 2014

Leinster & Louth Hill Climb Championships
    Saturday, August 30, 2014

Senior Track Championships
    Sunday, August 31, 2014

Senior Track Championships
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mondello Race Series
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Rás na mBan
    Thursday, September 11, 2014

Rás na mBan
    Friday, September 12, 2014

Rás na mBan
    Saturday, September 13, 2014

Rás na mBan

Veteran Men Track C/ship
    Sunday, September 14, 2014

laragh classic

Rás na mBan
    Saturday, September 20, 2014

Leinster Track Championship
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Years Eve Time Trial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

michael196 wrote: »

Absolutely agree Micheal.

Same story, contact names, maps, links to information on website provided and to what end? If CI have this information on every race in the country surely it should be published online as a resource for potential competitors.

On a more practical note asking that this information is provided in October for an open event that (in our case) will take place the following July is a bit crazy. By their nature these events are fluid in terms of exact courses, venues etc. and as amateur bodies it's hard to be exact on who will be doing what job or which venue will be available for a sign on for a race 9 months later.

In the lead up to the race or sportive we publish all the relevant info on races, sign on, venues, maps, contact numbers, course descriptions, distances, info on dangerous junctions, previous winners etc on our club website but that does not seem to be done for the majority of events.

Perhaps a better system would be an online event resource where events on the calendar could be updated and published in the four weeks running up to the event by which time all details would be tied down.

On another note I wonder why club secretaries have received an email asking how many yearbooks are required for the club. Surely every licenced member should be sent a yearbook with their licence. ( Although the actual hard copy yearbook calendar is becoming irrelevant with online access to all information)

Have to say this whole new online event submission and licensing system might be good for CI but it's a pain for club secretaries!

Advertisement