Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in Ireland or England????

• 02-08-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I finished a FETAC course in nursing this year and managed to get a place in England (Reading to be precise). At the start i was all up for studying in England but now i'm not too sure. And I've also just found out that i have been offered a place in Ireland just today. I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place and was hoping for some helpful advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

Congrats on both offers! Is there much of a difference in the costs/funding options for you if you pick one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goodsquishy

Well yes, if I go to England I don't have to pay another college fees as the NHS pays for it, (which save me 9 grand a year). But living costs are very high due to the fact that it is so close to London. Along with travel expenses (flying from Ireland to England). It hard to work out which would be cheaper. Also I'm not entitled to any on the perks the UK residence are entitled to. If I stay in Ireland then i'm closer to home, if I'm needed but still very much independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MaryMak39

Well yes, if I go to England I don't have to pay another college fees as the NHS pays for it, (which save me 9 grand a year). But living costs are very high due to the fact that it is so close to London. Along with travel expenses (flying from Ireland to England). It hard to work out which would be cheaper. Also I'm not entitled to any on the perks the UK residence are entitled to. If I stay in Ireland then i'm closer to home, if I'm needed but still very much independent.

Congratulations on your courses! :) I too am thinking of doing the same thing you done - do the FETAC and apply to england and ireland! the only thing with me is I will have to pay full fees ie the 5000 + 2500 and living expenses as I wont get a grant for the first year! Did you apply for a grant or are you entitled to one at all? Ireland should at least pay the fees! also with england, are you sure you are not entitled to the nhs bursary thing? plus in england you are finished in 3 years! you need to basically look at time and costs - which will you have done quicker and cheaper? how old are you do you mind me asking and have you already a degree in something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goodsquishy

MaryMak39 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your courses! :) I too am thinking of doing the same thing you done - do the FETAC and apply to england and ireland! the only thing with me is I will have to pay full fees ie the 5000 + 2500 and living expenses as I wont get a grant for the first year! Did you apply for a grant or are you entitled to one at all? Ireland should at least pay the fees! also with england, are you sure you are not entitled to the nhs bursary thing? plus in england you are finished in 3 years! you need to basically look at time and costs - which will you have done quicker and cheaper? how old are you do you mind me asking and have you already a degree in something else?

Well I am very happy that I did a FETAC course, it really is a great back door way into 3rd level education, and it really gave me so many more options. I would recommend it to anyone who didn't get the CAO points or is unsure about their career choice. It definitely helped me!! :) Unfortunately you will have to pay full fees next year if you wish to go to England. But your grant from Ireland should follow you over to England, if you are eligible for it this year. And i'm certain that you only receive the NHS bursary if you are a resident in England for the last 3 years. I'm 19 now, and the only qualification i have is my FETAC level 5 in Nursing.

Advertisement