Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Struggling a bit now. REally needs to just dig in.

He was wayward from the tee today, but scrambled well. Nice to finish with a birdie. He's lost some ground on the field but it could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Eagle at the fourth brings him to 3 under through 4 today , 9 under overall and T9th

Steven81 wrote: »
    Eagle at the fourth brings him to 3 under through 4 today , 9 under overall and T9th

All over the shop since then, but -2 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

Giving the two shots straight back at the par 3 5th (didn't see it so I'm not sure of the circumstances) was a real momentum killer.

• Advertisement

He's not the only one with an erratic card today!

So Shane has shot -3 today. 9 pars.......!!!!

Tied 11th right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Interestingly, Shane pointed out in a recent interview on RTE radio that he needs to be selective about which tournaments he plays in because if he plays and does badly, his average (OWGR points) drops and he falls down in the rankings.

This was borne out very well last week when, despite not swinging a club in anger, he jumped one place in the rankings (18th to 17th) by Monday last by swapping places with Jimmy Walker who played in the Shriners open on the PGA tour and came 50th so he got no OWGR points which caused his average to drop so he fell from 17th to 18th and Shane leapfrogged him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

coylemj wrote: »
    Interestingly, Shane pointed out in a recent interview on RTE radio that he needs to be selective about which tournaments he plays in because if he plays and does badly, his average (OWGR points) drops and he falls down in the rankings.

This was borne out very well last week when, despite not swinging a club in anger, he jumped one place in the rankings (18th to 17th) by Monday last by swapping places with Jimmy Walker who played in the Shriners open on the PGA tour and came 50th so he got no OWGR points which caused his average to drop so he fell from 17th to 18th and Shane leapfrogged him.

Scratching my head at that. What difference does it make if he is 17 or 18? If he was massaging his ranking to stay inside the top 50 or some other qualifying threshold, you could understand it. But what difference does it make if he moves a few spots inside the top 20 or even 30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    Scratching my head at that. What difference does it make if he is 17 or 18? If he was massaging his ranking to stay inside the top 50 or some other qualifying threshold, you could understand it. But what difference does it make if he moves a few spots inside the top 20 or even 30?

I'd say it's because now he's got into the top 20 he wants to keep progressing.

We're all saying he's at a different level now, well that's what it means I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

rrpc wrote: »
    I'd say it's because now he's got into the top 20 he wants to keep progressing.

We're all saying he's at a different level now, well that's what it means I reckon.

Progressing? As in moving up or down a table based on on a mathematical formula? Would it not be better to plan your schedule to maximise your chances of playing well and maybe winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

coylemj wrote: »

I would doubt he was talking about an incident like that. That rise from 18 to 17 can't be planned unless you slip Jimmy a few Walkers.

The whisky not the crisps.

Playing lovely this morning. -5 so far and right in the picture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

-6 now, 5th place on his own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

-6 with some brutal putting

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Another missed putt on the 18th after nearly chipping in for eagle. Still a very good round - 1 eagle, 4 birdies and 13 pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

He should be very close to overtaking Adam Scott in the rankings after this week. Might just be still behind.

Panrich wrote: »
    He should be very close to overtaking Adam Scott in the rankings after this week. Might just be still behind.

Scott finished second in the CIMB Classic, so he will be moving up a few places in the rankings. Kevin Na finished joint third and may overtake Shane in the rankings, so he may move down a place, despite having a top ten finish.

abff wrote: »
    Scott finished second in the CIMB Classic, so he will be moving up a few places in the rankings. Kevin Na finished joint third and may overtake Shane in the rankings, so he may move down a place, despite having a top ten finish.

Just did a quick calculation and it looks as if Shane will stay in 17th, with Na moving up to 18th in the rankings.

Looks like he'll have to cross this one off his rota next year so :)

Great weekend for him, whatever about a few places here or there, he is firmly placing himself as one of the best around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

First Up wrote: »
    Progressing? As in moving up or down a table based on on a mathematical formula? Would it not be better to plan your schedule to maximise your chances of playing well and maybe winning?

That table is what will qualify him for the Olympics. Graeme McDowell is a good bit behind in the rankings, but he's only 2 ranking points behind which could be wiped out with a good win.

Up to 3rd in the Race to Dubai.

rrpc wrote: »
    That table is what will qualify him for the Olympics. Graeme McDowell is a good bit behind in the rankings, but he's only 2 ranking points behind which could be wiped out with a good win.

Unless GMac ups his game considerably he is set for a big fall this year. His form over the past 2 years will see drop unless he really ups his game. Shane had a great year last year which gives him a buffer that GMAC doesn't have.

I would say that RC is much more of a priority for Shane than the Olympics. Not that he won't want to play...but I can't imagine him taking it into consideration massively in relation to schedule compared to the Ryder Cup.

PARlance wrote: »
    Unless GMac ups his game considerably he is set for a big fall this year. His form over the past 2 years will see drop unless he really ups his game. Shane had a great year last year which gives him a buffer that GMAC doesn't have.

I would say that RC is much more of a priority for Shane than the Olympics. Not that he won't want to play...but I can't imagine him taking it into consideration massively in relation to schedule compared to the Ryder Cup.

I really thought GMac was getting back on form this week, but he just can't string four rounds together. Shane on the other hand, it going steadily onwards and upwards.

Just did a quick calculation and it looks as if Shane will stay in 17th, with Na moving up to 18th in the rankings.

Spot on - still on 17th.

Shane did a 45 min interview with Jarlath Regan's (An Irishman Abroad) podcast last week if anyone wants a listen.

Shane did a 45 min interview with Jarlath Regan's (An Irishman Abroad) podcast last week if anyone wants a listen.
    Would you have a link?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Would you have a link?

I'm on Android using Podcast addict, so link might not work.
    http://anirishmanabroad.podbean.com/mf/feed/gw9afk/ShaneLowryEpisode110.mp3

If you search "An Irishman Abroad" on your podcast player it should come up.

Edit: Well worth following the podcast, he has some great interviews on there.

I'm on Android using Podcast addict, so link might not work.
    http://anirishmanabroad.podbean.com/mf/feed/gw9afk/ShaneLowryEpisode110.mp3

If you search "An Irishman Abroad" on your podcast player it should come up.

Edit: Well worth following the podcast, he has some great interviews on there.

Downloaded and ready for listening on a longish flight tomorrow - many thanks.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Downloaded and ready for listening on a longish flight tomorrow - many thanks.

There's a Paddy H interview there too, about 4 or 5 episodes back.

Advertisement