Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(23 years on)Search for Philip Cairns to continue for third day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Degsy wrote: »
    You were trying to make out that there's a serial killer doing time for something else (although you cant name him for some reason).

What I said is actually quite simple. I said IF there is a serial killer he is currently in prison and it's not that I can't name him, it's that I don't want to name suspected serial killers on a widely read internet forum.
    I'm telling you there's far more than one,including somebody i know.
    Had he not been caught he'd have killed more people IMO.

You have evidence to prove this multiple serial killer theory? I'm sure the Gardaí would be very interested in it. While it is possible there is at least one serial killer currently serving a sentence, there is no evidence to prove it. Until you can make your way to Harcourt Street of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Latchy wrote: »
    Not sure . I think in the case of some foreign women who come to ireland they fall into ,or fell into ,the trap of thinking they were so safe in 'friendly little ireland ' and assume everybody ,specially in the rural areas are nice and friendly . Remember the swiss girl in Galway a year or two ago and I seem to recall a french girl being murdered over that way back about 10 years ago .

Yeah i guess they watch a bit to many American movies about Irish people been so friendly and safe,also they don't hear about what happens here on their news.
    I remember that girl been murdered.The cases i looked at on that missing website,I am actually more shocked at the ones who were all going missing around the same time.
    I do agree there is a serial killer in case of the women disappearances way to coincendental.

Degsy wrote: »
    If kids wander off of or go off in a huff they usually turn up of thier own accord.
    In this case i think he was abducted and murdered inside 24 hours.

Well the other guy was only 17 who disappeared 2 years is it not possible he was a victim of same person or is it the age reason they wouldnt consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember it well, I often think of him. A girl I worked with's brother was in his class. An awful tragedy for the family.
    According to Barry Cummins who wrote 'Missing' he said a man came forward shortly after the disappearance saying that between 1.20 and 1.30pm on 23rd Oct near Ballyboden road he saw a red car badly parked and obstructing traffic, a boy in a grey school jumper and carrying a schoolbag was approaching the front passenger seat. He was irritated by the hold up in the traffic, he wrote down the license number and drove on. However maddeningly, his wife cleaned out the car and the number was lost.
    Mary Boyle was the little one in Ballyshannon. She left her siblings to follow her uncle down a marshy lane. He was heading to a neighbour's house to return a ladder. The last sight he had of her was when she had stopped at a particularly muddy part where she turned to go back.
    It's very likely that Robert Black the British child murderer was in the north of Ireland at the time, driving his lorry. Irish detectives travelled to the Uk to question him since but got no confession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

shqipshume wrote: »
    Yeah i guess they watch a bit to many American movies about Irish people been so friendly and safe,also they don't hear about what happens here on their news.
    I remember that girl been murdered.The cases i looked at on that missing website,I am actually more shocked at the ones who were all going missing around the same time.
    I do agree there is a serial killer in case of the women disappearances way to coincendental.
    I always was of the opinion that a serial killer was at large during the dissapearence of those women .I think their was a lack of evidence ,apathy and indifference at the time .In the case of the american girl (cant remember her name ) she had, the day before she disappeared ,wrote or phoned her father in america to say she was going to go for a walk up in the dublin mountains .Nobody in ireland noticed she had dissapeared until her father contacted the gardai a week or 10 days later . Case was stone cold by then .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I always was of the opinion that a serial killer was at large during the dissapearence of those women .I think their was a lack of evidence ,apathy and indifference at the time .In the case of the american girl (cant remember her name ) she had, the day before she disappeared ,wrote or phoned her father in america to say she was going to go for a walk up in the dublin mountains .Nobody in ireland noticed she had dissapeared until her father contacted the gardai a week or 10 days later . Case was stone cold by then .

You are thinking of annie McCarrick Latchy.
    Here is a small piece on that.

Brian McCarthy a veteran private eye was hired by the family of missing American student Annie McCarrick. He suspects that one man was responsible for the disappearances of McCarrick (26) and at least two other women, Deirdre Jacob (18) and Jo Jo Dullard (21).

All three were of a similar age and were last seen on their own, in a triangle between Kildare, Wicklow and Dublin. "There is linkage there, but no physical evidence -- not even a piece of clothing," McCarthy told The Sunday Business Post.

The serial killer theory was scoffed at when Gardai originally began investigating the disappearance of McCarrick in the Dublin Mountains back in March 1993.

"It just wasn't considered," a source says.
    McCarrick, a New York literature student, was one of the first to vanish in the so-called murder triangle.

When her father John McCarrick, a retired policeman, went to a Garda station to report Annie missing he was highly critical of his experience.

The officer who dealt with him did not have a notepad beside him, so he wrote the details on the back of his hand, according to McCarthy.

It was not until the family lobbied the American ambassador, Jean Kennedy Smith, that the Gardai agreed to widen their enquiries five years later.

This is the full article.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/12/22/story817804528.asp

Yeah when the first two went missing i was thinking it straight away,Why the garda didn't go down that line of enquiry is beyond me.If the everyday person was convinced of it why weren't they

Very sad,i actually came across her father in a shop one day,handing out flyers of her picture,Nice man :(

You are thinking of annie McCarrick Latchy.
    Here is a small piece on that.

Brian McCarthy a veteran private eye was hired by the family of missing American student Annie McCarrick. He suspects that one man was responsible for the disappearances of McCarrick (26) and at least two other women, Deirdre Jacob (18) and Jo Jo Dullard (21).

All three were of a similar age and were last seen on their own, in a triangle between Kildare, Wicklow and Dublin. "There is linkage there, but no physical evidence -- not even a piece of clothing," McCarthy told The Sunday Business Post.

The serial killer theory was scoffed at when Gardai originally began investigating the disappearance of McCarrick in the Dublin Mountains back in March 1993.

"It just wasn't considered," a source says.
    McCarrick, a New York literature student, was one of the first to vanish in the so-called murder triangle.

When her father John McCarrick, a retired policeman, went to a Garda station to report Annie missing he was highly critical of his experience.

The officer who dealt with him did not have a notepad beside him, so he wrote the details on the back of his hand, according to McCarthy.

It was not until the family lobbied the American ambassador, Jean Kennedy Smith, that the Gardai agreed to widen their enquiries five years later.

This is the full article.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2002/12/22/story817804528.asp

I remember i thought it was very keystone cop attitude.

Ann22 wrote: »
    I remember it well, I often think of him. A girl I worked with's brother was in his class. An awful tragedy for the family.
    According to Barry Cummins who wrote 'Missing' he said a man came forward shortly after the disappearance saying that between 1.20 and 1.30pm on 23rd Oct near Ballyboden road he saw a red car badly parked and obstructing traffic, a boy in a grey school jumper and carrying a schoolbag was approaching the front passenger seat. He was irritated by the hold up in the traffic, he wrote down the license number and drove on. However maddeningly, his wife cleaned out the car and the number was lost.
    Mary Boyle was the little one in Ballyshannon. She left her siblings to follow her uncle down a marshy lane. He was heading to a neighbour's house to return a ladder. The last sight he had of her was when she had stopped at a particularly muddy part where she turned to go back.
    It's very likely that Robert Black the British child murderer was in the north of Ireland at the time, driving his lorry. Irish detectives travelled to the Uk to question him since but got no confession.

Thanks for that i never heard that before.
    Problem with all these cases no body found no evidence thats solid enough to go on.

Yeah when the first two went missing i was thinking it straight away,Why the garda didn't go down that line of enquiry is beyond me.If the everyday person was convinced of it why weren't they

Very sad,i actually came across her father in a shop one day,handing out flyers of her picture,Nice man :(
    There is a guy on another irish forum who had the balls to say he thinks he had seen miss Mc Carrick in co wicklow but hadn't gone to the gaurds about it .We still dont know if he was trolling but either way ,he's an ass for not saying
    so and coming foreward at the time .

I do recall reading about robert black being in the north at the time that other young girl went missing in co Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

There is a guy on another irish forum who had the balls to say he thinks he had seen miss Mc Carrick in co wicklow but hadn't gone to the gaurds about it .We still dont know if he was trolling but either way ,he's an ass for not saying
    Maybe he was afraid they would haul him in and try to pin it on him.
    /stranger things have happened.

Maybe he was afraid they would haul him in and try to pin it on him.
    /stranger things have happened.
    Thing is ,this guy said it very willy nilly when this very subject came up .

Would be like me saying ' oh i seen maddie mc cann the day before she dissapeared ' .

Quite a few people took him to task about it to .

I do recall reading about robert black being in the north at the time that other young girl went missing in co Donegal

Really someone could say that and admit they hadn't come forward to the garda,wow if he is lying shame on him and if he wasn't he should still come forward.

I will give you an example of how easy it is,I know a girl who was in town one night with her friend on westmoreland street.The friend went into use a toilet while she stayed outside.A man approached her saying he was undercover Garda watching two guys just down from them and would she mind walking with him past so he could get better look.She been a little tipsy walked part of the way,luckily she knew the two guys he was meant to be watching and she approached them and he got irritated and she walked away from him as he began to call her a slut and yelling come to the garda station i will prove who i am.The girl now baffled walked away really fast asking him for his id. But he just walked away around the corner. Few weeks later she saw him on crime line after been arrested for pretending to be a garda commandeering a taxi and attacking a girl. Same night aswell.

]
    Really someone could say that and admit they hadn't come forward to the garda,wow if he is lying shame on him and if he wasn't he should still come forward.

The guy is a troll of the worst kind .We have told him to go to gaurds to but no chance

I will give you an example of how easy it is,I know a girl who was in town one night with her friend on westmoreland street.The friend went into use a toilet while she stayed outside.A man approached her saying he was undercover Garda watching two guys just down from them and would she mind walking with him past so he could get better look.She been a little tipsy walked part of the way,luckily she knew the two guys he was meant to be watching and she approached them and he got irritated and she walked away from him as he began to call her a slut and yelling come to the garda station i will prove who i am.The girl now baffled walked away really fast asking him for his id. But he just walked away around the corner. Few weeks later she saw him on crime line after been arrested for pretending to be a garda commandeering a taxi and attacking a girl. Same night aswell.

Some women are lured into a false sense of security .There was a taxi guy going around in London for years and he use to ask female passengers to share a drink with him as he had just had a big win on lotto.But but he would put a date rape drug into their drink .He was arrested but released due to lack of evidence and then went on to abuse more passengers .He had 23 case against him when he was eventually re arrested but there might be many many more unreported ones because women would have woken up at home and be not sure what happend to them .

]

The guy is a troll of the worst kind .We have told him to go to gaurds to but no chance

Some women are lured into a false sense of security .There was a taxi guy going around in London for years and he use to ask female passengers to share a drink with him as he had just had a big win on lotto.But but he would put a date rape drug into their drink .He was arrested but released due to lack of evidence and then went on to abuse more passengers .He had 23 case against him when he was eventually re arrested but there might be many many more unreported ones because women would have woken up at home and be not sure what happend to them .

Yeah she was blessed that night,to come to her senses and decide something didn't feel right.

Then he is just one of those people lacking in any compassion or a pure liar(narcissist) perhaps if that's the right word for it.

I heard about that case to,It is unbelievable how so many cases came forward and it took that long to get him.
    But good they got him in the end.

With Philip cairns the case to have people baffled for so many years and just one case of it a boy to go missing and no more after is weird.Just one they usually re offend or have done before don't they.Or was it a case of a one off moment of madness on some sickos part and he moved on to something else for his urges.If indeed it is a case of murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It happened when I was kid but I always remembered it (PC). The photo of him too because there were so many posters of him around at the time.

Hopefully they'll find him so the family can let go.

Larry Murphy is the man an earlier poster was talking about that was caught in the process of trying to strangle a Carlow woman in the Wicklow mountains. He's a suspect in the murders of Deirdre Jacob, Annie McCarrick and Jojo Dullard and possibly more. He was working in Newbridge Co. Kildare on the day Deirdre disappeared and there is a small link between him and the last sighting of Jojo. She was last heard alive making a phone call from Moone. The Carlow woman he was caught trying to kill, had been taken to a field in Moone where he raped her before taking her to the mountains where he had intended to kill her. What's the chances of that? Coincidence or not? If it was him chances are, he got some sort of thrill taking her to an earlier site. Sounds awful doesn't it? ....and that animal is due for release in 2010, only 45 yrs of age.
    Btw, since he's been incarcerated, there's been no vanishing women. At least he will be tagged on release which is lucky 'cos the sex offenders register in Ireland didn't exist before 2000.

Larry Murphy is the man an earlier poster was talking about that was caught in the process of trying to strangle a Carlow woman in the Wicklow mountains. He's a suspect in the murders of Deirdre Jacob, Annie McCarrick and Jojo Dullard and possibly more. He was working in Newbridge Co. Kildare on the day Deirdre disappeared and there is a small link between him and the last sighting of Jojo. She was last heard alive making a phone call from Moone. The Carlow woman he was caught trying to kill, had been taken to a field in Moone where he raped her before taking her to the mountains where he had intended to kill her. What's the chances of that? Coincidence or not? If it was him chances are, he got some sort of thrill taking her to an earlier site. Sounds awful doesn't it? ....and that animal is due for release in 2010, only 45 yrs of age.
    Btw, since he's been incarcerated, there's been no vanishing women. At least he will be tagged on release which is lucky 'cos the sex offenders register in Ireland didn't exist before 2000.

He is getting out in 2010 next blinking year :eek::mad:
    Is there a pic of him anywhere?

His picture is in a book in Eason's I can't think of the name. Something like 'murder in the mountains'. My eyes nearly popped out of my head trying to memorise his face. He is fair haired and has a foxy like face, I'm nearly sure he has a dimple in his chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

caught trying to kill, had been taken to a field in Moone where he raped her before taking her to the mountains where he had intended to kill her. What's the chances of that? Coincidence or not? If it was him chances are, he got some sort of thrill taking her to an earlier site. Sounds awful doesn't it? ....and that animal is due for release in 2010, only 45 yrs of age.

Maybe that site was significant to something else he done :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

They have thats why they are searching again.Lets hope something is found or an answer for the family to bring closure.

I think there is only one other case of a child missing in such circumstances i saw on tv.Little girl years previous to this one she went missing between two farms of her family and not even evidence found there either of foul play.

I know the case you are referring to, she was from donegal, and has a twin sister who lives near me.

His picture is in a book in Eason's I can't think of the name. Something like 'murder in the mountains'. My eyes nearly popped out of my head trying to memorise his face. He is fair haired and has a foxy like face, I'm nearly sure he has a dimple in his chin.

Imagine been someone like that's wife or mother or kid:( I read he went to bed with his wife hours after the attack :(
    Thanks for that i don't think i could read it but would like to know what he looks like flipping sicko.
    I have tried to google his pic but i cant find any.I think he should be pictured and shown all of these people lost right to be kept private imo when they do something like rape or murder of kids or anyone.

Feck, it's just after striking me. The programe the Psychic detectives came to Ireland to investigate Jojo's murder. They said the killer was fair and had some kind of mark around his mouth. My husband said they probably knew who the suspects were in the first place. Still, it's very feckin' creepy!!!

I know the case you are referring to, she was from donegal, and has a twin sister who lives near me.

awwwwwww really,i watched it on tv last year and was very sad to watch.Poor family :(

Was that the guy who left a trail of unsolved sex attacks behind him ? He attacked women in southern ireland then moved up to the north ,were he carried on attacking for about a year or two .Then he moved over north east england to continue more attacks before he was caught and they are not sure how many more people he may have raped .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

That's chilling. How do you know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I remember the Philip Cairns case because I was eight at the time.
    I think they had him on the back of premier milk cartons at the time.

Speaking to my older family members who remember it clearly at the time, they theorise now that a male member of a family had possibly passed away and that females associated with this male may now be coming forward due to this.

Purely speculative of course.

Either way I really hope that they find him to give some peace to his mother.

There are a lot of families going through absolute hell on a daily basis because people don't think what they know/have possibly seen is important.

It's so crucial that people contact the guards and give them what little information they think they may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

CCCP^ wrote: »

Is this the bloke who was disturbed by poachers?

CCCP^ wrote: »

Partly here and partly from Barry Cummins' 'Missing' book.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/state-to-free-rapist-who-is-huge-threat-to-women-1484538.html

• Advertisement

bug wrote: »
    Is this the bloke who was disturbed by poachers?
    Yes

Advertisement