Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The least important part of this thread is the Title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Update: 11th August to Date, new goals
    Training has been taken down a notch over the past 12 days as I'm busy writing up my masters dissertation. I've tried to get a little bit of something useful done every day, whether that is just a bit of foam rolling and a few pull-ups at home, a gym session, or a run in the park, but I haven't been to the track since I last logged.

On Thursday of last week (14th) I did a tempo type session in the park with my training partner. We did 3x6 turnabouts on a roughly 100-110m section of pathway in the park. It was done at about 70% effort, a controlled sprint to the bin we were using as a marker, slow down, turn around and go again back to where we started after the agreed break. We took 30s breaks for the first set and 45s for the second and third, with 6min between the sets. I was coming in a 15s bang-on for every rep, and finished off with a 14.1 at the very end as I felt pretty strong.

Saturday was a gym session; I ran there as usual but didn't do a huge session, just cleans, deadlifts, upright rows and core work. Wasn't having a great day if I remember correctly, so just grinded out the sets and felt much better afterwards.
    Cleans: up to 3x5 at 60kg - a bit 'meh' overall, trying to work on pulling higher as I tend to try to catch before reaching triple extension.
    Deadlift: warmup sets of 60kg, 80kg, 100kg, before 120kg 5x5 - happy enough with how my DL is coming along.
    Upright Rows: 35kg 3x15
    Core: 100 Russian Twists w/ 16kg kettlebell, then 100 Reverse Crunches. - Core work is my least favourite thing to do in the gym as it's really tough and it always comes at the end of sessions, but it's so important that I'm only shooting myself in the foot if I don't do it. I often struggle to find the mental fortitude to make myself do 3 circuits of core if I'm training alone so this is great little go-to as it's only one set but really gets you working hard.

Wednesday this week (20th) saw me take another trip to the park for a tempo session. It was the exact same set-up as the previous one, except I tried to hit 30s breaks for all 3 sets, and I was training alone this time. It's amazing the difference 15s makes, as I found this one much more difficult. I struggled to hit the 15s reps consistently but wasn't far off, and some of the breaks stretched out to 35s, as I didn't have enough lap memory on my watch to hit split for every one, and my oxygen-deficient brain was finding it difficult to do the mental maths for the breaks mid-set. Still was happy enough with how I did, and kept an even pace to the end which is the goal of these sessions.

Basically I'm winding down at the moment, just trying to keep the fitness ticking over and my head sane as I finish off the masters. I'll be heading home around the 10th September for a few weeks and will come up with a plan for the season ahead at that point. I don't think I need to take an extended break from training as such as my season has been broken up as it was and I'm not in full training at the moment. As of now, the aim for next season will be sub 53s indoors, and sub 52s outdoors, which I think is achievable if I get a good run at it and stay healthy. I think I would have gotten into the 52s this season with more races, as I only raced once this summer, on a Tuesday after an absolute bender the Saturday before, and still took more than half a second off my best from last year. This year has been about putting my hamstring problem behind me, and getting fit enough to handle the training loads needed to run the sort of times I know I'm capable of.

I've had a hectic past few weeks finishing off my dissertation, but it's all done and dusted now since Thursday. I was feeling absolutely wrecked and run down yesterday so I didn't do anything but I made it to the gym today to get my winter training underway. Having had the guts of a month off now without doing anything more than the odd kickabout and a few pull-ups off the bar at home, I was raring to go today and I've been really looking forward to getting back into the swing of training for a couple of weeks now, but I just couldn't spare any energy as it all had to go into the masters.

Saturday 13th September - Gym
    Warm up was the mile long run there from home, which was a fair bit harder than I remember it being - already not a great sign. I did my usual stretching and foam rolling mobility stuff when I got there, hip flexors were in knots even more than usual with a combination of having been neglected for far too long and me probably having set new PBs for hours sat in front of my laptop in recent days/weeks.

A) Back Squat: 50kg 10x10 w/ <90s rest
    B)Incline DB Press: 22kg 2x10, 1x5 (bleurgh)
    C1) Upright Row: 35kg 3x12
    C2) Tricep Pushdowns: 18kg 3x15
    D) Tricep Extensions: 10kg 1x8 each arm
    E) Trudge home

I was absolutely knackered after 6 sets of the squats. From there on, everything was a struggle. I was planning on doing core at the end, but I knew I was facing an uphill run home afterwards and I just didn't have it in me today. Still, not at all bad for a first session back, and although I expect crippling DOMS tomorrow, I'm actually looking forward to them as it means I've started back on the road towards running fast again. I'm excited about getting a good winter under me. I have some targets in my head, just need to go after them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Well, good luck walking tomorrow :pac:

What possessed you to do a GVT squat session on your 1st session back?:eek:

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Well, good luck walking tomorrow :pac:

What possessed you to do a GVT squat session on your 1st session back?:eek:

I dunno man. #yolo

My legs have been in absolute bits since that gym session. GVT squats even at that weight are no joke. I've had a lot going on the past few days, am not home yet but I'm in Cardiff for the next two weeks and can use the local park to train, although will have to do without a gym. I have a plan laid out for these couple of weeks, which will take me up until I head home on the 1st of October. It's basically just building back up some aerobic fitness, with some faster stuff to keep working on the speed.

Wednesday 17th Sept - 30min easy + mobility
    The ole legs were really in a bad way the past few days, I tried rolling a couple of days back but had to give up as it was too much. They were a little better yesterday so headed out for a run. Concentrated on keeping the effort even and easy. Run profile was pretty much pancake flat but the scenery was beautiful, I'm going to have fun exploring the trails around Bute Park over the coming days. Did some stretching and managed to get a good bit of rolling done afterwards, although it was still quite painful.

Thursday 18th Sept - Tempo 3x6x100m off 45s, 5min
    I used a rugby pitch for this, ran from dead ball line to dead ball line, and I paced it out at almost bang on 100m although I could be off slightly. Nevertheless, I did this session in Leeds with 30s rest a few weeks ago, but there's no way I'd have been able for that today. Going backwards a bit with the time off is to be expected and I was happy enough to hit bang on my target of 15s for every rep, with a few here and there being quicker. I went all out on the last one and stopped the watch at 13.9, although I missed it on the first attempt so was probably 0.5 to 1s quicker than that. Happy overall, and will keep this streak going for the next few days.

Vive l'independence de l'Ecosse!

• Advertisement

Friday 19th September - 30mins recovery
    Just an ole loosener. Legs were very tight.

Monday 22nd September - Fartlek
    Over the weekend my legs were not in great condition. 3 days running in a row after a month off, and not doing that type of volume since last winter did not a healthy recipe make, so I took it easy. Had a great time watching the All Ireland on Sunday though, I knew a few lads on the panel from school, and I had a few bets on which made it all the sweeter!

Anyway, I was a planning a session of 6 x 60s with 90s easy in between, then easy running to take me up to about 40/45min running, so I headed down to the park to get it done. Went through my usual warm up and did a stride-out but my legs felt kinda dead. Didn't think much of it, so did a couple more stretches and did another stride - something definitely wasn't right but I couldn't put mu finger on it. I went to stretch my hammies next and felt a sharp twinge when I did the left one. F*ck. I realised I'd twinged my hamstring, in a different place to where the old injury was thankfully. I knocked the session on the head then and there and jogged slowly home quite pissed off. Did some icing, and left it alone yesterday evening. I'm going to do some foam rolling now in a minute, and may do a bit of stretching this evening. Depending on how that goes, I may do an easy run tomorrow or I may not. It's not a major problem, it should be completely gone in a couple of days. Just shows the importance of building up slowly. There's no rush. Should be well able for a session or two next week.

Friday 26th September - 50min easy
    Didn't do much in the way of training the past couple of days except stretching and foam rolling. Hammy felt much better today so I decided to head out for a run. Tried to keep it as handy as possible but towards the end I picked it up a bit. Leg felt fine throughout. Will go for another easy/steady run tomorrow and reassess then. I was thinking about winter training during the run today, all sorts of tortuous sessions. I might try an 800m as an opener at the indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You back in the old country for next season?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You back in the old country for next season?

Looks like I'll be home for the next couple of months at least while I decide what to do with myself. I'll probably end up heading back over to the UK for work but I have aspirations of doing a race or two on home soil this season. We'll see how it pans out.

Mon 29th September - 2x3x300m on grass off 90s, 8min
    The hammy niggle was still a little bit niggley in the days after the previous run I posted, so I decided to not run on it and just make do with rolling and mobility stuff, which seemed to do the trick.

I've been thinking a fair bit about an interview I read with Ollie Back, an Irish/Liverpudlian sprinter, who said that he spent more time on his foam roller than on the track. I've been coming back to it a lot recently as I always seem to have some part of me that's a bit sore or twingy, and I have to weigh up on how best to deal with it. I seem to be pretty delicate. For instance, at the moment, apart from the hammy (which is pretty much 100% now thankfully), I have some sort of a knot in my back that I've developed over the past day or two, so I'm keeping an eye on that; I've a little muscle strain in my neck that's been at me for a while now, and pain in my right knee that comes and goes. This all sounds very whingy, but I'm going to leave it here anyway.

I would have run on Sunday but I stayed up waaaay too late watching Conor McGregor's fight on Saturday night, and even though I wasn't drinking and got a good lie in afterwards, I felt like I'd taken a few digs off the man himself all day on Sunday and didn't much feel like doing anything.

Right, after all that complaining, I did get out for a decent session yesterday. Did a total of 6km all in, and banged out the session as planned. The reps were done around a rugby pitch, in trainers, and on wettish grass, so I wasn't really concerned with times, just effort, which was 800m race effort, for a lactic-threshold type of effect. I got the heart working very well, was tired after the first set, but recovered enough in the generous 8min break to get the second done at the same quality. I was coming in at just over 50s for all of the reps, although I really hammered the last one and got it done in 45s. Happy enough with that, as I'm still very much finding my feet again in terms of training this season. I'm flying home tomorrow, so hopefully should be back in the gym by the end of this week, and will be back in a regular schedule from here on out.

Btw, I was relying on my GPS watch for the rep distance for this session. In my experience, it tends to under-report shorter distances, so I took its 280m reading as 300m based on what I know about rugby pitches and how it felt. In any case, it doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll be home for the next couple of months at least while I decide what to do with myself. I'll probably end up heading back over to the UK for work but I have aspirations of doing a race or two on home soil this season. We'll see how it pans out.

Hopefully we get to race and you can drag me along to a fast time. :)

Update
    I've been tipping away over the past 12 days, although I've only managed one session in that time, with lots of easy running and some circuits and mobility stuff. The session was on Tuesday the 7th, I did a decent warm-up, then 4 x 60m accelerations, then 2 x roughly 550m in 90s with 3mins rest. I played astro then that evening for my first 'double' day in along time, and my legs were duly in bits for a couple of days afterwards. I traveled to Dublin early on Wednesday and have been there since, I'm currently on the train back to Kerry. I had a couple of lovely runs in the PP yesterday and the day before, the first was only 20mins, but supplemented with circuits afterwards. Yesterday morning I met with my cousin outside the Zoo and we went for a good 45mins at easy pace, although it pushed towards steady-ish effort level for the last ten minutes or so. Feeling like my aerobic capacity is going up steadily at the moment, although I'd like to be doing a little bit more speed just to keep that ticking over.

I still don't have a gym membership at home although I expect to get that sorted over the next couple of weeks. It's difficult for me to get to the track regularly as it's about a 20min drive from home and I'm not driving at the moment, although I'm going to try and get back involved with my local club doing training for them, so I may be able to get lifts with them. The plan is to start upping the frequency of training now, I'm in a million times better shape than I was at this time last year, and I've more time, so hopefully that's a recipe for success.

Monday 13th October - accels + 3 x 250m on grass
    This was a grand session. 5.5km in total, with about 1km warm-up jog, a few stretches and whatnot, then 4 x 40-50m accelerations on a slightly uphill tarmac path, then 3 x 250m in 41, 41, and 42s off 3mins. The first break was stretched out a little bit as I had to move my gear to make sure the local unsavouries didn't smoke it or blow it up or something. Felt good overall, legs weren't really tested but the lungs were.

Wednesday 15th October - Hills: 2 x 3 x 230m
    I don't think anyone enjoys doing hills sessions, and I'm no different. This session had been hanging over me all day, and in the hour before I left, when I'd realised I couldn't put it off any longer as it going to be getting dark soon, I started to get nervous. Like pre-race nervous. Weird. Anyway, I sacked up and got out the door and it turned out it was a lovely mild evening for a run. I headed up to the hill I've been using for the past couple of years near my house, but was a bit annoyed to find that it's a lot busier now. I originally started to use this particular hill because it was on a quiet country-ish road only a little over 1km from my house, it has a footpath, and it's the right gradient. However they've recently built a new ring road around my town and this land joins up to it, meaning that the amount of traffic on the road has increased a huge amount. It didn't help either that it was evening rush-hour, but that's my own fault.
    As it transpired, during the course of my session, I ran into one of my secondary school teachers, as well as two lads I know who were out for a walk. This was a little distracting but thankfully it was towards the start of the session so I wasn't in a heap unable to respond. I may have to look for a new hill though.

Anyway, I got though the session. Felt very good for the first couple, although my first break was up at 4 mins as I had to fit in a quick word with the aforementioned former teacher, but after that it was a struggle. The last two in particular were very tough, and I got my first dose of lactic in a long while at the end.

The times were: 43, 40, 42, 41, 44, 41. I took a 6 min break between the sets, and 3-4min between reps.

Usually when I've done sessions on that hill, I've done less distance, so I'm very happy with that session. The downhill jog home afterwards was a struggle though. Total distance 7.2km.

I like hill sessions. Does that make me a freak?

Friday 17th October - Gym
    Went down to my local club yesterday evening to do a bit of coaching with the kids. Didn't do a huge amount but they were delighted to have me, got me signed up straight away and I'm going to be helping out a few days a week with the training. Will play it by ear at the moment, hopefully I'll nab a few juniors I can train with/coach myself.

Anyway, this evening I headed to the club's gym session for the older juveniles, and did my own thing. The aim was just to get a solid session in and start building the strength back up over the next few weeks. My calves were tight after Wednesday's hill session but other than that I was feeling fine.

A1) Back Squat: 20kg x 10, 50kg x 10, 60kg x 8, 70kg x 5, 80kg 5x5
    A2) Dips: BW x 10, BW+12kg 5x8
    B1) OHP: 20kg x 10, 30kg x 5, 40kg 3x5
    B2) Pull Ups: BW x 3, 3x5
    C1) Leg Extension machine: 20kg 3x10
    C2) Hamstring Curls: 20kg 3x10
    D) Core Circuit: 3 x [Russian Twists w/ 10kg x 30, Front Plank 30s, Side Plank 20s e/s, Med Ball Knee-Tucks x 20]

Good session. Legs feeling a bit wobbly after it, but hopefully I'll be ok to do the track session I've planned for tomorrow morning.

Saturday 18th October - Track: 6x200m off <2:30
    Got out to to a very windy Castleisland this morning for my first track session in quite a while. It's important to keep in touch with the track stuff as its very easy to think you're doing great stuff when estimating distances on grass or the road, bit the track doesn't lie. My legs were a little stiff, although I'd imagine the DOMS will be worse tomorrow. My lower back was the most sore part of me, although it didn't really affect my running.

I was aiming for 31-32s for each rep, although I had that huge wind to contend with for the first 100m of each rep. The times went: 33.1, 31.7, 30.4, 31.5, 33.4, 28.7
    The first couple breaks were bang on 2min, but started drifting up after that. All except the last were under the 2:30 target, that one was closer to 3min. The rest was active recovery, I jogged around the other 200m of the track, back to the start.

I was happy enough with that, it's a decent starting point. It would have been a lot easier without the wind, but I have to be able to run in the wind too. Next time I do this session I'll be hoping to knock at least half a second off the average time.

I think I stepped the intensity up a bit too quickly last week, with the track session the day after my first gym session in a month really taking it out of me. My legs were all banged up for days, so I elected to take things easy this week before doing any more intense training. I did nothing except for a bit of stretching and rolling until Wednesday actually, when I went out for an easy 30mins on the road.

My calves then tightened up a bit yesterday so I decided to have a mobility day, I did lots of foam rolling, and tried a yoga routine from youtube. I've never done yoga before but despite it being a beginner's type routine, I found it very difficult. I'm definitely going to keep doing it though, as I really enjoyed it as well. After the yoga I went out for a very easy 20mins to break in a new pair of runners.

Hitting the gym tonight, and the track on Sunday morning.

Friday 24th October - Gym
    Did 20mins of yoga this morning, same as yesterday. Really getting into the swing of it now, it's my new buzz. Gym then in the evening, still concentrating on building the strength back, although I didn't do the lower body assistance work today because my legs have been a bit banged up all week.

Quick enough warm up: foam rolling, couch stretching and a few bodyweight squats

A) Back Squat: 50kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 85kg 5x5
    B1) Pull Ups: BW 2x6, BW+10kg 2x6, BW 1x5
    B2) Tricep Extensions: 10kg 3x8 e/s
    C) Upright Rows: 35kg 3x8
    D) Core Hyperextensions BW 3x20, Aleknas w/ 5kg plate 1x12, Reverse crunches 1x25

A bit of stretching, and that was it.

Saturday 25th October - Just a bit of Yoga
    20mins yoga. Felt absolutely smashing, as my legs were sore enough after the weights. Loving the yoga, but I'm still awful at it.

Sunday 26th October - Track: Sled Pulls, Starts, and 7x150m
    Just as well I'd had a very easy day on Saturday, as this was one of the most intense track sessions I've ever had. Speed development is my number one aim this season; I need to get faster over 100m and 200m if I've to have any hope of running the sort of times I'm shooting for. I was training with the Kerry squads group, which is a new enough idea where the best athletes in the county meet up and train together once a week. Anyway, there was a small enough turn out this week, but I 3 other lads doing the session with me. One guy is about 40, but ran 53.5s last year for 400m, so I'm glad I've someone pretty much on the exact same level as myself to train with.

I've never done sled pulls before, but they were great fun. There was 10kg on the sled, and we each pulled it for about 15m three times.

The starts were good as well, went to about 20m. I don't know how many we did, about 10 maybe.

The 150s were tough enough then afterwards. They were supposed to be technique runs, but tbh I was just trying to get through the last few.

I'm in absolute bits today, compounded by a late and boozy night last night. I did well to get out to walk the dog earlier for half an hour. My legs are very tight, I've got leftover DOMS in my upper body from Friday's gym session, and I'm dreading the prospect of taking a foam roller to myself which I'll have to go about doing soon. Really happy with training at the moment overall.

Saturday 25th October - Just a bit of Yoga
    20mins yoga. Felt absolutely smashing, as my legs were sore enough after the weights. Loving the yoga, but I'm still awful at it.

Sunday 26th October - Track: Sled Pulls, Starts, and 7x150m
    Just as well I'd had a very easy day on Saturday, as this was one of the most intense track sessions I've ever had. Speed development is my number one aim this season; I need to get faster over 100m and 200m if I've to have any hope of running the sort of times I'm shooting for. I was training with the Kerry squads group, which is a new enough idea where the best athletes in the county meet up and train together once a week. Anyway, there was a small enough turn out this week, but I 3 other lads doing the session with me. One guy is about 40, but ran 53.5s last year for 400m, so I'm glad I've someone pretty much on the exact same level as myself to train with.

I've never done sled pulls before, but they were great fun. There was 10kg on the sled, and we each pulled it for about 15m three times.

The starts were good as well, went to about 20m. I don't know how many we did, about 10 maybe.

The 150s were tough enough then afterwards. They were supposed to be technique runs, but tbh I was just trying to get through the last few.

I'm in absolute bits today, compounded by a late and boozy night last night. I did well to get out to walk the dog earlier for half an hour. My legs are very tight, I've got leftover DOMS in my upper body from Friday's gym session, and I'm dreading the prospect of taking a foam roller to myself which I'll have to go about doing soon. Really happy with training at the moment overall.

Very intense stuff. I bet you're sore right now!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 28th October
    Just did a bit of recovery type stuff yesterday evening while coaching the youngsters at my club's training. I did most of the warm up with them, and the warm down. Every bit of me has been stiff and sore since Sunday's session.

Wednesday 29th October - Grass Session: 4x[100m, 150m]
    I took this session handy enough. It was the same session as the juveniles did last night, so I said I'd give it a go. Did a 1km warm-up jog, then some dynamic stretching and a few strides. The breaks were 30s between 100m and 150m, and 1min then before the next set. I kept rigidly to the breaks, but it wasn't too difficult as I'd say I took it a good 10% easier than I normally would for a session like this. I had about 600m of a cool-down jog then, and some stretching a foam rolling when I got home. The legs feel better now than they did before I left, I suppose the main benefit of this was getting a bit of a work-out and active recovery going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Hey man, would you be able to post a link to the yoga video, or the video itself? It's been recommended to me and I'd rather not go to a class or anything yet until I loosen out some bit!

Do you find it's doing a lot of good? Does it do a good job of relieving tightness?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Hey man, would you be able to post a link to the yoga video, or the video itself? It's been recommended to me and I'd rather not go to a class or anything yet until I loosen out some bit!

Do you find it's doing a lot of good? Does it do a good job of relieving tightness?

I'll post it up in the morning, I'm just heading to bed now and on the phone.

The way I'm starting to see it is that it's a more full body thing than the muscle-specific stretches I normally do. I find it hard enough to sit in the back-neutral, cross-legged position she does at the start when she's just chatting about what she'll be doing in the rest of the video. I'd definitely recommend it. I haven't done it for a few days now and I miss it!

Sorry about taking so long. I've been in Cork for the past few days with no laptop and my schedule's been all over the shop.

Here's the video: Yoga For Complete Beginners - 20 Minute Home Yoga…: http://youtu.be/v7AYKMP6rOE

I've done that one three times now and find it good. I'm going to try to move on to slightly more progressive stuff soon. It helps that yer wan isn't the worst to look at either!

Training-wise I've done 3 sessions over the past few days. I had a gym session last Thursday night, similar to the past few except I upped the squats to 90kg 5x5 and added in split squats 3x8 with 40lb dumbbells. Had sore enough glutes for a couple days! Sunday morning I did 4x200m hills with jog-back recovery. I could feel my throat glands had started to swell up when I woke up but trained anyway because I didn't feel terrible. I'd usually do 6 of these but felt 4 was enough on this occasion.

Took yesterday off as the throat was a bit worse, but it worked a treat as I felt fine this morning. I jogged down to UCC's Sonia O'Sullivan Track and sneaked on no bother. I haven't ran on the track since it's resurfacing and subsequent Christening, and I must say they've done a good job. I did the same 6x200m session with 200m jog recovery as I did a couple weeks ago in Castleisland, and I felt much better this time. I didn't have the watch but I'd be almost certain that the times were quicker than the 30/31s average from the last day. I kept more rigidly to the jog recoveries and overall felt the session didn't take as much out of me as it did the last time. Feeling like I'm heading in the right direction anyway.

Friday 7th November - Gym
    Wednesday was a pretty physically tough day, despite the fact I didn't do any athletics training. I did over an hour's worth in total of hilly cycling across Cork city, and had a very enjoyable and quite hard game of 6 on 6 astro as well. Thursday was absolutely miserable out, and I didn't really do anything. Yesterday evening I got back on the horse and headed to the club's gym session. Felt fresh enough apart from a slight groin twinge from the soccer on Wednesday. Was looking forward to it all day and had a really good workout.

A) Box Jumps: 5x3 I did 4 sets of these at a pretty manageable height based on what I was jumping in Leeds, and the last on the highest single box they have at the gym, I'd guess about 43" or so. Will look towards doing all sets on this height the next day.
    B)Back Squat: 60kg x3, x5, 80kg x3, 90kg x3, 100kg 3x5, 90kg 2x5
    C1) Bench: 60kg 3x10
    C2) Bulgarian Split Squat: 40lb DBs 3x8
    D1) Pull Ups BW 2x5
    D2) Core Circuit: 2x[kneeling ab rollouts, 20 reverse crunches]

Did some stretching then to finish off. Fit all that into just over an hour so it was pretty intense with minimal breaks. I jumped the squat up 10kg compared to the last day and it was pretty tough so I rolled back on the last two sets. Hashtag linear progression FTW. Will be looking for 100kg 5x5 the next day and it should be a lot easier. I have DOMS setting in now at the moment and I'm planning a 20/30min easy run at some stage today if I can drag myself away from the sport for long enough. Training's going well at the moment. I'd like to be doing more gym sessions but I'm a bit limited with when I have the gym available to me.

Just wondering what sort of warm up and cool down to you do generally? Do you do any static stretching before a session, or only afterwards? Do you do dynamic stretching before, and why types of exercises?

Looking to replace some of my static stretches with more dynamic stuff for my warm up, in the off chance that the static calf stretches are causing my irritating calf issues.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Just wondering what sort of warm up and cool down to you do generally? Do you do any static stretching before a session, or only afterwards? Do you do dynamic stretching before, and why types of exercises?

Looking to replace some of my static stretches with more dynamic stuff for my warm up, in the off chance that the static calf stretches are causing my irritating calf issues.

I generally wouldn't do a huge amount of static stretching during my warm up, although for gym sessions I'd do more than I would for a track session. I do the couch stretch before every gym session for a minute in each position. This:
    Kelly-Starret-Couch-Stretch-550x400_c.jpg
    and this: hqdefault.jpg

For a track session, my warm up would generally be 1-2 laps slow jog, then a bit of skipping and dynamic type stretches, walking lunges, squats, etc., with possibly a bit of foam rolling beforehand if I'm feeling particularly stiff. Then I do drills. Then a stride out or two in trainers, followed by a stride out in spikes if I'm wearing them for that session.

I try to spend 5-10mins doing static stretches after sessions, both gym and track, but I often cut it short because i'm too knackered and/or lazy. I think it's important to keep on top of the flexibility though.

I dunno if that helps but that's my routine anyway.

Saturday 8th Novemeber - Easy Running + Strides
    DOMS is getting a bit worse now but I headed out earlier for a jog and a few strides just as a loosener. I had planned just doing a jog, I said 10 laps of my local green area/park, which is a little over 500m in perimeter. I got well bored after 5 though, so I decided to stop and do some stretching and strides. I did 5x60m-ish getting a little quicker each time. Money in the bank.

Sunday 9th November - Track: MB Throws, Sled Pulls, Accels, 5x100m
    This was another Kerry squads session out in Castleisland. The weather was very mixed, heavy showers interspersed with lovely warm sunshine, so much of the time on the track was spent ducking in under the high jump mat's metal housing for shelter, in between reps. The session itself went well enough, my legs were pretty DOMS-ey from Friday's weights but they were fine once I got warmed up. We did the acceleration work on the bends as the straights were pretty waterlogged. I was getting tired on the last few reps of 100m, which were untimed but effort was about 90%. I was in with a few teenagers and held my own. I don't know how good the others are, or what their PBs are but I felt like I was moving well enough.

Easy day tomorrow then hills on Tuesday, and maybe a late gym session.

• Advertisement

Today - Rolling and Stretching
    My hammies were in ribbons this morning, it really shows how much sprinting takes out of the body. I just spent the past 15mins foam rolling everything and doing a bit of lower-body stretching. My legs feel much better now, everything should be in working order for an assault on some hills tomorrow.

Advertisement