Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quote a Day........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Habit is habit.
    Not to be flung out a window by any man.
    But coaxed down stairs a step at a time.

Twain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning—
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

The man who makes no mistakes, does not usually make anything.

Edward John Phelps.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

There are no mistakes.

Tom Robbins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

For sale:baby shoes,never worn.

Hemingway

• Advertisement

Edith Nesbit's character Peter, in The Railway Children.

"I suppose I shall HAVE to be married some day,but it will be an awful bother having her round all the time.I'd like to marry a lady who had trances, and only woke up once or twice a year."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in." - Leonard Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

I used to be a Homosexual, but I had to give it up because it made my eyes water.

Michael Gambon

"At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face." - Albert Camus

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Up The Bare Stairs

'You miss one hundred per cent of the shots you don't take' - Wayne Gretzky.

• Advertisement

"The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton

"It is a wise man who admits to knowing nothing" - Socrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Yoda.

For the happiest life, days should be rigorously planned, nights left open to chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RichardOBrien

First and foremost,you've got to make yourself happy.
    Essentially,being who you are is the most important thing.
    When you're after truth,happiness always comes.

"Where I am, I don't know, I'll never know. In the silence you don't know. You must go on. I can't go on. I'll go on." - Samuel Beckett

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work,
    the more I live.
    I rejoice in life for its own sake.

George Bernard Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Gandalf the Grey
    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Or
    "Some men fight wars. Other men start wars"
    Daniel Inoyue, US Senator for Hawaii, of Japanese Ancestry, who signed up to the us army as soon as it became legal to do so. Had an arm blown away by nazi's as he stormed a bunker in Italy.

As he spoke the quote above in the US Senate, he held up his arm stump, maybe to make a point at George W Bush, the draft dodger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Never enter an arsekicking contest with a porcupine"

Cohen The Barbarian (attrib)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Only JoKing!

The figure a poem makes.
    It begins in delight and ends in wisdom...
    In a clarification of life, not necessarily a great clarification, but in a momentary stay against confusion.

Robert Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

"The secret of man's being is not only to live but to have something to live for."

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

“If we think only of ourselves, forget about other people, then our minds occupy very small area. Inside that small area, even tiny problem appears very big. But the moment you develop a sense of concern for others, you realize that, just like ourselves, they also want happiness; they also want satisfaction. When you have this sense of concern, your mind automatically widens. At this point, your own problems, even big problems, will not be so significant. The result? Big increase in peace of mind. So, if you think only of yourself, only your own happiness, the result is actually less happiness. You get more anxiety, more fear.”

Dalai Lama, The Wisdom of Forgiveness

"Dreams, memories, the sacred--they are all alike in that they are beyond our grasp. Once we are even marginally separated from what we can touch, the object is sanctified; it acquires the beauty of the unattainable, the quality of the miraculous. Everything, really, has this quality of sacredness, but we can desecrate it at a touch. How strange man is! His touch defiles and yet he contains the source of miracles."

- Yukio Mishima, Spring Snow

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

– Jack London

Don't cry because it is over.
    Smile because it happened.

Sometimes you will never know the value of a
    moment until it becomes a memory.

Dr.Seuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

“A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.”

― Oscar Wilde

“The One Truth has many sides, and one sees one side only, another sees another, and some see more than others, according as it is given to them. Behold this crystal, how the one light is manifest in twelve faces, yea four times twelve, and each face reflects one ray of light, and one regards one face, and another another, but it is one crystal and one light that shines in all.”

- Jesus Christ

“The outer conditions of a person's life will always be found to be harmoniously related to his inner state...Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.”

- James Allen, As a Man Thinketh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    Oscar Wilde

Advertisement