Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Data-Analytics

• 06-06-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

hi there,

Just wondering about this course ? Not sure if this is first year of this course - if not anyone any info on it and if its a good course ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

whatever76 wrote: »
    hi there,

Just wondering about this course ? Not sure if this is first year of this course - if not anyone any info on it and if its a good course ?

Anyone know what the Higher Diploma in Data Analytics is like in NCI compared to the CPD Diploma in Data Analysis in DIT? Which course is better or more respected?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ken L

whatever76 wrote: »
    hi there,

I understand this is a conversion course. If you have a degree in another field and want to get into this area, then you do this course. It probably runs for one year, sept - may, with possibly work placements.

I am looking at doing a post graduate course in this area and have a logic test. Any idea what that might intail??

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

look up logic tests online and you will get the idea - usual questions like spotting a sequence of letters , X cost Y - how many you get for z if you buy 10 - that kinda stuff. Some really good practice logic tests on line

Hi, has anyone done this?

I am starting the course shortly.
    looks very comprehensive.
    There is an 80% success rate of people who finished the course going straight into work.

• Advertisement

Ken L wrote: »
    There is an 80% success rate of people who finished the course going straight into work.

Sounds good, i hope to get a place on this course myself.

The places are been handed out now. You would want to be very quick to get a place.
    They were running 1 course and there was a big waiting list. But now they are doing 2, so try get in asap.

Hi i applied already just waiting to hear of a free place. Do have a timetable?

To EunanMac:
    It is data analytic s. It covers how data can be used by business. It is not very language orientated but it does involve SQL and Python. It mainly used different applications to mine, sort, etc data and then presenting it. algorithms are also covered.
    Here is a link for the syllabus: courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1841

Scrappychimow:
    I am not sure of exact timetable (when it starts) but it cand be too much longer, possibly 2 weeks. I'll be finding that out tomorrow or tuesday, I'll post it then.
    Have you been for a logic test of interview?
    The evening courses for the first course is tuesday, thursday 6pm - 10pm and every saturday 10am - 5pm.
    The second is a little different, tuesday, thursday and friday 6pm - 10pm and every 3rd saturday 10am - 5pm.

Hope this helps both of you.
    Ken

To EunanMac:
    It is data analytic s. It covers how data can be used by business. It is not very language orientated but it does involve SQL and Python. It mainly used different applications to mine, sort, etc data and then presenting it. algorithms are also covered.
    Here is a link for the syllabus: courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1841

Scrappychimow:
    I am not sure of exact timetable (when it starts) but it cand be too much longer, possibly 2 weeks. I'll be finding that out tomorrow or tuesday, I'll post it then.
    Have you been for a logic test of interview?
    The evening courses for the first course is tuesday, thursday 6pm - 10pm and every saturday 10am - 5pm.
    The second is a little different, tuesday, thursday and friday 6pm - 10pm and every 3rd saturday 10am - 5pm.

Hope this helps both of you.
    Ken
    Hi, i was told that i was provisionally accepted for the course but i had to wait for someone to drop out so i can get a place. I don't think i need an interview as i have a technical/ semi numerate degree. Thanks

• Advertisement

You probably wouldn't.
    lol you can give me a hand then if i get stuck..

You probably wouldn't.
    lol you can give me a hand then if i get stuck..

I should hear from NCI next week so, hope to see you there

best of luck.
    Take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Work or internships, because most courses would be very lucky to have a 80% placement rate for free work experience(intern). looking on linkedin it seems most are interns or looking for work?

The 80% figure I mentioned came from the head of the course when I had a meeting with him. And I agree, the 80% seems to be very high.
    From what I know, There is a work-placement during the course to build in some practical experience. Also, these courses are produced as a result of companies identifying the lack of qualifies people.
    Does there seem to be a very high number of graduates from the course on Linkedin that are still unemployed? or are they people doing the course that are looking for positions for their work placement?

Ken

Got a place. Any idea of some youtube videos or websites that give a beginners taste of whats in store?:cool:

ww.courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1841

I cant put a full link up as I am new user, but this should get you to the course description (even if you have to put it in a search).
    On this if you click into any of the sections and scroll down, they list off the resources and give lists of videos (some youtube) that they will be using.
    I have a registration on the 20th and the start of course proper is the 22nd.

ww.courses.ncirl.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/1841

I cant put a full link up as I am new user, but this should get you to the course description (even if you have to put it in a search).
    On this if you click into any of the sections and scroll down, they list off the resources and give lists of videos (some youtube) that they will be using.
    I have a registration on the 20th and the start of course proper is the 22nd.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Hey,

I know it's an older thread, but just wondering how some of the posters here were finding the course? I'm considering doing it this September and am keen to hear more about it! Would love some feedback from students within the course! Feel free to PM me if you want!

I already work in IT, and know my way around SQL so I'm not worried about that side of it. More the Python/R and mathematics elements! Thanks!

John

john__long wrote: »
    Hey,

I know it's an older thread, but just wondering how some of the posters here were finding the course? I'm considering doing it this September and am keen to hear more about it! Would love some feedback from students within the course! Feel free to PM me if you want!

I already work in IT, and know my way around SQL so I'm not worried about that side of it. More the Python/R and mathematics elements! Thanks!

John

Hi John,
    I'm surprised that I still get e-mail notifications about this thread.
    The course is fairly intense in that the assignments come thick and fast. I hear that some colleges are doing this course over a 2 year period.
    Re: Python/R. While they may be hard to get your head around (part due to the teaching level) if you don't have any programming experience, I would advise practising on Python (open source) rather than relying on theory alone. If you know SQL to a good standard it would help.
    R is a nice language and using R-studio (open source) is pretty nifty when you get into it. R can be a mixture of a language and stats in the course, so you would need to be up to date on both.
    Stats is to a level of multiple regression and factorial ANOVA. The course will go through the statistics but if you have a good grasp of stats it would definitely help.
    Overall, I think it is a good course but it is a bit of a slog for the year.
    Hope this helps.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll get practicing on the Python! I'm familiar with the basics of Ruby and I hear they're similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 djunmark

This evening course is good which runs for approx 12 months and it is very intense, so if you have desire to do it, go ahead.

The assignments come tick and fast, so a lot of time needs to be invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

djunmark wrote: »
    This evening course is good which runs for approx 12 months and it is very intense, so if you have desire to do it, go ahead.

The assignments come tick and fast, so a lot of time needs to be invested.

Thanks for this info. Just wondering, what prior knowledge/level of ability in maths is needed do you think? I’m starting this course in Jan. Also, did you use any online resources to prepare before starting this course? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 djunmark

Fant11 wrote: »
    Thanks for this info. Just wondering, what prior knowledge/level of ability in maths is needed do you think? I’m starting this course in Jan. Also, did you use any online resources to prepare before starting this course? Thanks.

Hi, not a lot prior technical knowledge is required, however if you want to find it easier, maybe try some online courses relating to machine learning, SQL . E.g Coursera, but no essential since you will be learning this anyway. However, it could make it easier for you to kick off.

Install packages prior starting like R Studio, MySql Workbench, SPSS, Python/ Anaconda etc and practise if you wish. Also this will also save you some time for assignments, rather than focusing on installing packages, when assignments are coming tick and fast. If the software is paid, you will receive a subscription code provided by the college when you start.

Look at statistical videos of how to conduct tests like Anova, Chi Square, Regression, Z Score etc.

"How to" videos by Dr Eugene O Loughlin are very good which you can find on Youtube.

I hope it helps

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Fant11

djunmark wrote: »
    Hi, not a lot prior technical knowledge is required, however if you want to find it easier, maybe try some online courses relating to machine learning, SQL . E.g Coursera, but no essential since you will be learning this anyway. However, it could make it easier for you to kick off.

Install packages prior starting like R Studio, MySql Workbench, SPSS, Python/ Anaconda etc and practise if you wish. Also this will also save you some time for assignments, rather than focusing on installing packages, when assignments are coming tick and fast. If the software is paid, you will receive a subscription code provided by the college when you start.

Look at statistical videos of how to conduct tests like Anova, Chi Square, Regression, Z Score etc.

"How to" videos by Dr Eugene O Loughlin are very good which you can find on Youtube.

I hope it helps

Thanks

Great info. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 slugger_otoole

djunmark gave some good advice before, I would also recommend taking the Datacamp beginners and intermediate courses in R and Python if you have time before you start (or some similar interactive online courses), particularly if you don't have prior coding experience. SQL too I guess if you had time.

Having the basics of those before starting will help a lot. The math side of the course isn't very difficult so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Black Pearl

Seems like an old enough thread but hopefully you guys can help. Ive just been accepted for this course Higher Diploma in Data Analytics in NCI. I have no coding knowledge or background, but I am up for the challenge, any advice on how to get the basics of Python, R or SQL down? Is there any watchable youtube videos, clear blogs or even books you would recommend?
    Do the lecturers hand physical notes out in class or is in all electronic?
    Wish I knew someone who has already done this course so I could read over the first couple of weeks of notes they get.

Seems like an old enough thread but hopefully you guys can help. Ive just been accepted for this course Higher Diploma in Data Analytics in NCI. I have no coding knowledge or background, but I am up for the challenge, any advice on how to get the basics of Python, R or SQL down? Is there any watchable youtube videos, clear blogs or even books you would recommend?
    Do the lecturers hand physical notes out in class or is in all electronic?
    Wish I knew someone who has already done this course so I could read over the first couple of weeks of notes they get.

Happy to send you the notes for the first few lectures from this year if you like, although they do change the course slightly each year. I believe there'll be more of a focus on R now and less on Python. I'd say stats and SQL will stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Black Pearl

Happy to send you the notes for the first few lectures from this year if you like, although they do change the course slightly each year. I believe there'll be more of a focus on R now and less on Python. I'd say stats and SQL will stay the same

Thank would be fantastic. Yeah i thought they may vary from year to year. But it just to have a read because I am not in the advanced category and would like to read up and practice if possible before the course starts. is it possible to PM them to me? you absolute star :cool:;)

• Advertisement

No problem will do

Advertisement