Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Embarrassed

• 17-05-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, regular user going anon for this...

I think I just need to get this off my chest, So basically I started a new job (company A) a few weeks ago in a similar line of work towards my old job (company B). I am still/was really good friends with everybody I worked with in my previous job. Today I was talking to my new employer about another company (company C) in the town that company B works alongside and she informed me that Company B had sold an item to one of my new employers customers and didn't inform this customer that this item needed a licence and has done this to many customers to try make quick money.

So my problem is, I thought I was doing a good thing by informing my former work colleague of the illegal activities that company C was involved in so that my old employer wouldn't get in trouble if they continued working with company C. Of course this message was meant to be private and confidential but this former co worker went and told the other workers there what I had said and less than 15 minutes later my new employer came in and questioned me about it. I explained to him that I thought I was doing a good deed, he didn't seem angry but told me how careful I need to be incase that ever got back to company C. The female boss didn't speak to me at all from then until I went home.

I am so embarrassed and just want to cry. I know I was stupid to tell my former work colleague but I thought I was doing a good thing, I wasn't trying to be malicious. I am not back in till next week and I'm sure I haven't heard the end of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Might be better here OP.
    For anyone that followed this thread please read the local charter as there are differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm confused. Surely you mean Company C sold the item to the customer illegally and not your old employer Company B?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I'm assuming you mean company C sold it.

At the extreme end of the scale, unless you have evidence to provide to a court of law then it sounds to me like the people of company C would have a strong case to sue yourself and your new employer for defamation. The possibility of this is very remote but I'm just saying that's the absolute worst case possible.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. You know yourself you did something silly and your new employers don't sound like they've overreacted. Just told you to be more careful about these things in the future. I wouldn't get hung up on this. It's very unlikely anything will come of it and I doubt your new employer will bring it up again unless it does. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Am I correct in thinking that in paragraph 2, it should read:

'she informed me that Company C had sold an item to one of my new employer's customers and didn't inform this customer that this item needed a licence and has done this to many customers to try make quick money.'

Am I also correct in thinking that you informed someone in your former company (company B), and that someone from there then spoke to your new employer (company A), and that it was your new employer (company A) who challenged you on it?

I presume you had not discussed your intention to inform company B of this activity with your current/new employer?

Look - if all of the above assumptions are correct on my part, then it sounds like your new bosses received an angry/concerned phonecall from your former company. If it's untrue, it's your bosses who are at fault, not you really. They were the ones who initiated the allegations. If it's true, then there are quite a few people involved or 'in the know' (including your current company), so depending on how big of a deal this 'illegal' activity is, you may have opened a can of worms. Bear in mind, that you are also now 'in the know' and aware of potentially illegal activity, so you need to be aware of any onus on you to report illegal activity.

Have you this in writing - I.e you informing company B?

As for how to deal with things with your new employer? I'd wait to see what (if any) further reactions they have to you. Then deal with it.

Btw - put it out of your mind for now. What ever happens will happen. Be prepared, then just let it go until you're back at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hopefully (for you) nothing more will come of this.

Important lesson:

Be discreet and recognise what is of direct concern to you and what is not. Learn to act on the former, and ignore the latter.

You heard second-hand that another company was acting 'illegally' - I'd be very cautious about repeating such an allegation in the future, especially if your current employer is going to be implicated somehow.

Finally - you say that a license is needed. Sometimes a license is needed for small things e.g. certain types of 2-way radio - it's not really a huge deal* if the company doesn't have a license. You also need a license for firearms and explosives - that's a big deal.

I wonder which category yours falls into....?

*This is an example and I'm not getting into the 2-way radio license debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

So my problem is, I thought I was doing a good thing by informing my former work colleague of the illegal activities that company C was involved in so that my old employer wouldn't get in trouble if they continued working with company C.

Sounds like you were gossiping. Don't worry, so was your manager by telling you to begin with.

I think you learned a valuable lesson. Hopefully it will just blow over.

Advertisement