Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Fit Audi MMi / Sat nav

• 10-02-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

LAds,
    Quick question.
    I have a 2010 audi A4 and was wondering if its possible to retro fit the audi MMI console with built in Sat nav?

If so would you be able to point me in the direction of a site that might look after should a job?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anything is possible, but it won't be cheap. You may need a screen as well as the head unit, mmi controls. There's someone on here did an even better job imo and put an Android phone running it. Mickdw I think...looked great anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Cheers - I would be happy with a copy of the audi version - screen, controls, head unit etc.
    Will have to keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have a look at hazzydayz site (uk)
    The system you are looking at will be stupidly expensive as alot of bits need replacing.
    They have pricing for installing various levels of the original audi nav but the quoted prices are assuming that you have the mmi installed with nav buttons etc around gar level already.
    I would say 2,000 euro anyway.
    What I did is install an xcarlink box behind the glove box. This connects to existing screen and then allows various inputs to be connected and displayed on the screen.
    I added a reversing cam and a connection for a phone which can display nav, google, youtube, sky go, SKYPE ... whatever the phone can do basically onto the screen. Only phones with tv out to RCA will work. I also have a vodafone mifi in the car to run the stuff that requires data but if you use your main phone, you wouldnt need that.
    you have to control it via the phone which is not ideal but considering in total, it cost 300 quid, Im happy. its not as nice as having the genuine nav but I have alot more functions.
    Im sure the xcarlink also has a dedicated nav input but I couldnt find a reasonable cost system to use for that.

See some pics
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056838573&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Nice one mickdw

Its definitely worth looking into doing something similar to yourself. I don't mind paying a few quid to get the sat nav install but 2k is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

The RNS-E (MMI) is not a great piece of kit, i had an A4 with one in it, if i was installing from the ground up i'd spend my money else where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nice one mickdw

Its definitely worth looking into doing something similar to yourself. I don't mind paying a few quid to get the sat nav install but 2k is a bit much.

All my set up does is allow anything the phone does be displayed on the car screen. Plus reversing cam.
    a few Android phones and iphone 4 I think was also suitable. You can basically run cable and fit a socket in the arm rest. you can then plug phone into that.

Advertisement