Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atkins works - and boy am I happy!

• 21-09-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

I was always afraid to do Atkins diet. Eating meat and cheese and eggs and still losing weight seemed impossible to me. And surely all that fat had to be bad, clogging up your arteries with cholestrol and gathering around your heart, slowly helping it to give in.

Anyway, after years of WW meetings, and I have to say I did lose a lot of weight at weight watchers, i decided to try something completely different. I started Atkins just a week and a day ago. A the beginning it was really difficult, I couldn't get my head around all the fatty meat, heavy cheeses and dozens of eggs I was expected to consume. But after day three I really began to enjoy gorging on all the luxurious foods that were made taboo by WW and other low-fat diets. I still wasn't convinced though, a little niggle in the back of my head was telling me that I was probably putting weight on. Now, at 5feet 7 and 10 stone 9 lbs i am not exactly fat. But I have always wanted to get down to at least nine and a half stone and increase my fitness and decrease my fat percentage. WW brought me so far and I was hoping that Atkins would bring me that little bit further.

So when I checked the scales last night and I weighed 10 stone 3.5 lbs I couldn't believe it - 5.5 in one week! GONE! And I never felt hungry or like I was losing out. I'm so happy, delighted in fact.

I have one issue though - I have one more week of induction left and now I am into my second week I am starting to get bored with just eating the foods on the induction list. I could murder an apple or a handful of nuts but they are not allowed til next week. And even then I am only allowed to add 5 grammes of carbs EACH week until I have lost enough weight and know how many carbs I can have each day to maintain my healthy weight. The problem is - I don't think I can wait that long to start eating a piece of fruit here and there, or a few more veggies on my plate. I can last the induction phase but reckon next week that I will be adding more than 5 grammes of carbs per week. Is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Nah, I'd go for it, I hate counting anyway so that 'extra 5g a week' seems a little obsessive and unless your obese, I would skip to what IPDers refer to as 'Phase 2' which is induction + fruit + occasional porridge or potato + dark chocolate. Expect to regain about 3lb in glycogen as you increase carbs, don't worry, this is not fat. Watch out for sudden bloat from any food you reintroduce and make sure you still get your protein in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

considering you current weight there is no need for you to do induction. you need to start at OWL(ongoing weight loss) where you add in 5g carbs per day and if you still losing massive amounts of weight add another 5g next week

you need to get to a carb level where you are losing a pound or two a week. you will get to a carb level where you will lose no weight so subtract 5g of carbs and so on and so on

Im doing it too but you still have to watch your portion sizes of you protien meat but im back enjoying garlic butter fried chicken fillets but i have loads to lose however after week three tomorrow im down about 18lbs.

and that you are on a high protien diet you will tone up so weight loss may fluctate with you having so little to lose because dont forget muscle weighs more than fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

Atkins died weighing 258lbs which is obese for a man of his height. He had a heart attack, fell over and died. Great advertisement for his diet don't you think? And still people buy into the high-fat carb-phobic mindset at the expense of their health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ice. wrote: »
    Atkins died weighing 258lbs which is obese for a man of his height. He had a heart attack, fell over and died. Great advertisement for his diet don't you think? And still people buy into the high-fat carb-phobic mindset at the expense of their health.

He slipped on ice. This is classic peta nonsense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Indeed, check your sources. Prior to the his fall and coma he was 196lbs. His death weight was caused by fluid retention.

• Advertisement

He slipped on ice.

After suffering a heart attack. His own physician said so. He had a history of myocardial infarction.

After suffering a heart attack. His own physician said so. He had a history of myocardial infarction.
    A year previously he had one. If you're quoting his own physician don't leave out the part where it was obviously due to a "heart infection he'd had for a few years", and was "no way related to diet".

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    and was "no way related to diet".

This part was self reported by Atkins himself. Hardly unbiased. Also there was no post-mortem performed at request of the family. If they had nothing to hide.....

You don't post here much do you Ice?

The health of a high-fat low carbohydrate approach is well documented in various scientific trials. In fact, it consistently does better than low-fat or Mediterranean diets in blood sugar, cholesterol and weight loss:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/jama;297/9/969
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

Heresay about someone's health (of which you have no solid evidence whatsoever) doesn't really fly around here.

Low carb diets aren't for everyone, but they are perfectly safe and healthy, if you want to dispute that you'll have to come up with some pretty compelling evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

Was Atkins following the Atkins diet?

• Advertisement

wikipedia wrote:
    Dr. Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a member of the American Heart Association's national board of directors, said: "Despite the obvious irony, I believe there is a total disconnect between the cardiac arrest and the health approach he (Atkins) popularizes."
    Also there was no post-mortem performed at request of the family. If they had nothing to hide.....
    Innuendo, nothing more. A family might have many reasons to make such a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I've heard all the stories and believed them too. Then i read the book and researched it myself and I can see the results on the scales and feel the results too. I feel great, used to have terrible gas - gone, used to go to the toilet a million times a day - stopped, even though drinking just as much water as before. I have more energy, don't feel hungry like I used to and have no cravings.

Thanks everyone for your feedback - think I'll still finish this one week of induction and then introduce the carbs back at a quicker rate than recommended on OWL, thanks.

This part was self reported by Atkins himself. Hardly unbiased.

After he died????

Nah, I'd go for it, I hate counting anyway so that 'extra 5g a week' seems a little obsessive and unless your obese, I would skip to what IPDers refer to as 'Phase 2' which is induction + fruit + occasional porridge or potato + dark chocolate. Expect to regain about 3lb in glycogen as you increase carbs, don't worry, this is not fat. Watch out for sudden bloat from any food you reintroduce and make sure you still get your protein in.

This sounds much more do-able thanks Dangerso

rocky wrote: »

I would think so yeah, he was a right old cantankerous man though and made a few outrageous claims, hence he made lots of enemies and possibly was responsible for the frosty reception a lot of scientific researchers had to the diet.

It is funny because the default diet advised before the low-fat fad (which is only around since the 70's) was to cut down on sweets and starches. Everyone's grandmother knew that's how you lose weight. It was only with the introduction of the food pyramid in the 1970's that people began to eschew fat (especially saturated fat) in favour of carbs, which co-incides nicely with the obesity epidemic and a massive rise in heart disease and diabetes. Could be a co-incidence, but I dunno..

rocky wrote: »

As in most businesses, you eat your own dogfood.

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Innuendo, nothing more. A family might have many reasons to make such a choice.

Sure, but with such potential damage to the brand surely it would have been easier to just do one and stop any rumours in their tracks. Unless.....

After he died????

He had admitted so earlier when he was alive.

It was only with the introduction of the food pyramid in the 1970's that people began to eschew fat (especially saturated fat) in favour of carbs, which co-incides nicely with the obesity epidemic and a massive rise in heart disease and diabetes. Could be a co-incidence, but I dunno..

The whole low-fat fad wasn't really low fat. Much like today. Most products contained as much fat if not more fat because the products were diluted with water and then seasoned with salt and sugar to get rid of the diluted taste and thickened up with corn flour or some similar. They were then able to list their products as low fat because water doesn't have a caloric value but it does have a weight, so fat is listed as a percentage of weight instead of a percentage of calories.

Sure, but with such potential damage to the brand surely it would have been easier to just do one and stop any rumours in their tracks. Unless.....
    The family are not the brand.

As in most businesses, you eat your own dogfood.

He had admitted so earlier when he was alive.

Dr. Atkins did NOT die of a heart attack - he had one in 2002 but it was due to an ongoing heart infection. He recovered and in 2003 he slipped on some ice and hit his head causing bleeding on the brain. He slipped into a coma and died a few days later.

Get your facts straight if you are going to come on here arguing a point.

The whole low-fat fad wasn't really low fat. Much like today. Most products contained as much fat if not more fat because the products were diluted with water and then seasoned with salt and sugar to get rid of the diluted taste and thickened up with corn flour or some similar. They were then able to list their products as low fat because water doesn't have a caloric value but it does have a weight, so fat is listed as a percentage of weight instead of a percentage of calories.

Nope, fat is always advertised as % calories as in 'LESS than X% Fat!' adding water or bulking out with fibre doesn't change this.

nicked2.jpg

So we've been eating less fat than ever, and yet we're fatter, go figure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The only problem with Atkins is that you can't have alcohol otherwise its not to difficult to follow.

Nope, fat is always advertised as % calories as in 'LESS than X% Fat!' adding water or bulking out with fibre doesn't change this.

False. The %Fat is a % of weight. You just have to do the maths yourself. Most people just see the low fat% and that's it. Back to sleep. The food manufacturers would never cheat like that, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

and what hope is there when for instance the food pyramid in the US is controlled by the dept of Agriculture. They're not exactly going to kick their their own lobby in the teeth

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

False. The %Fat is a % of weight. You just have to do the maths yourself. Most people just see the low fat% and that's it. Back to sleep. The food manufacturers would never cheat like that, would they?

Hahahahaha!! Well I needed a laugh, that's so wrong it's hilarious. So you just conveniently didn't see that giant graph I posted then?

The only problem with Atkins is that you can't have alcohol otherwise its not to difficult to follow.

Well if you want to lose weight as quickly as possible you'd probably have to drop alcohol for a while regardless of what diet you're following.

Hahahahaha!! Well I needed a laugh, that's so wrong it's hilarious.

Glad to be of service although I'm surprised you had the energy to crack a smile being a low-carber and all:D
    So you just conveniently didn't see that giant graph I posted then?

Well.. We can all draw a pretty graphs..

Glad to be of service although I'm surprised you had the energy to crack a smile being a low-carber and all:D

Not a low carber actually.

And we can all choose to ignore the blatantly obvious.:D

Not a low carber actually.

Fair enough.

And we can all choose to ignore the blatantly obvious.:D

My thoughts exactly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I used to cycle 40km a day while on low carb. Energy is not an issue.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    I used to cycle 40km a day while on low carb. Energy is not an issue.

40km. Everyday? How long did it take you? Were there hills etc?

Advertisement