Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ben Bulben, what next?

• 16-09-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Hi all, was camping in strandhill over the weekend and went up ben bulben, havent climbed or walked anything of note in years. What would be a good hike, not that i do walk rough ground regularly as I live on a large farm and could spend 8-10 hours on it a day so length of walk wouldnt bother me.

Based in Galway so stuff with in 100-150km would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Ps was thinking of doing the twelve bens over a few days if thats reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

There is tons of walking in Connemara, stunning scenery. Twelve Bens are absolutely beautiful, there is a famous walk there called the Glencroaghan Horseshoe, but it is a big walk and you would need to build yourself up to it, at least eight hours with a lot of climbing and descending. There's also the Mamturks which have their own epically long walk that NUI (I think) run every year. Then there are tons more mountains around Leenane and into Mayo.

Start off by climbing individual mountains within the Bens or Mamturks. The highest mountain in Galway is I think Ben Gorm which is one of the ones around the back of the Bens (from the Galway city side). I think its reached from a townland called Glencorbett. Its not included in the horseshoe but has stunning views of it, which might whet your appetite for that walk in due course. It's quite doable - about five hours return I would think.

If you pick up a book on walking a lot of these walks are included - Joss Lynham has one called best Irish walks which features these walks, but there are others which I'm sure are good too.

Alternatively look at a website called summitpost.org or mountainviews.ie both of which outline routes on the various mountains.

You should pick up a map of Connemara (there is a Superwalker one as well as the Ordinance Survey ones), learn how to use it, equip yourself with a compass and good hiking boots.

Also not a good idea to hike alone.

Whatever you do don't take the mountains for granted, the Maamturks are quite remote and if you get in trouble on them no-one is coming to help you, theres mountain rescue in that area for a reason. Don't go near them in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

a148pro wrote: »
    There is tons of walking in Connemara, stunning scenery. Twelve Bens are absolutely beautiful, there is a famous walk there called the Glencroaghan Horseshoe, but it is a big walk and you would need to build yourself up to it, at least eight hours with a lot of climbing and descending. There's also the Mamturks which have their own epically long walk that NUI (I think) run every year. Then there are tons more mountains around Leenane and into Mayo.

Start off by climbing individual mountains within the Bens or Mamturks. The highest mountain in Galway is I think Ben Gorm which is one of the ones around the back of the Bens (from the Galway city side). I think its reached from a townland called Glencorbett. Its not included in the horseshoe but has stunning views of it, which might whet your appetite for that walk in due course. It's quite doable - about five hours return I would think.

If you pick up a book on walking a lot of these walks are included - Joss Lynham has one called best Irish walks which features these walks, but there are others which I'm sure are good too.

Alternatively look at a website called summitpost.org or mountainviews.ie both of which outline routes on the various mountains.

You should pick up a map of Connemara (there is a Superwalker one as well as the Ordinance Survey ones), learn how to use it, equip yourself with a compass and good hiking boots.

Whatever you do don't take the mountains for granted, the Maamturks are quite remote and if you get in trouble on them no-one is coming to help you, theres mountain rescue in that area for a reason. Don't go near them in bad weather.
    Just in case anyone is googling - it's Joss Lynam not Lynham.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Look up http://www.mountaineering.ie for some basic info and a list of clubs. Handy to meet up with other people and share transport etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cheers all, appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I think a148pro was thinking of Benbaun in the 12 Bens as being the highest mountain in Galway.

It is actually not too challenging if you go up and down the ridge from the Inagh Valley.

Another "starter" mountain would be Gauraun if you just go up and down from the Church at the head of the Inagh valley (The mountain is directly behind the church from the road). Likewise Leckavrea just north east of Maam Cross is a good starter if you go up and down from the road along the northwest ridge. Its cliffy or "craggy" as we say on its east side.

This
    a148pro wrote: »

Clubs
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/localclub/?county=Galway
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/localclub/?county=Mayo

Also
    http://www.lakedistricthwc.com/Default.aspx

Bear in mind that there are few tracks as such in Connemara. If the clouds come down you need to be able to figure out where to go from a map.

There is an active Mountain Rescue Team but they have to get to you the same way that you got there - they walk from the nearest road. So you are hours away from any help if the weather is bad.

Don't forget the Burren as well which is accessible from Galway and has good hiking and "green roads".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think a148pro was thinking of Benbaun in the 12 Bens as being the highest mountain in Galway.

It is actually not too challenging if you go up and down the ridge from the Inagh Valley.

Sounds like it alright, did it one day when I didn't have enough time to do the horseshoe, stunning views of the other bens

I think you could spend months walking around there

Advertisement