Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

• 03-01-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The Old thread was reaching it's size limit so we might as well start a new thread for the new year

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭PlayerTrader13

brianODriscollLeinster_large.jpg

just because

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Old thread was reaching it's size limit so we might as well start a new thread for the new year
    Happy New Year......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Does anyone know when the free Leinster calendar is out with the Herald?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

First!

... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Almost always play a strong team the weekend before the HEC

This could be a very very strong side against Connacht and going by some training pics it could be?

Rob
    Zane
    BOD
    Darcy
    Fitz
    Madigan
    Reddan

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore

Toner
    McCarthy?

Rhys
    Jennings?
    Heaslip

Dundon
    JOC
    Ross

Cullen
    Jordi
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Dave K?

Would Have Ryan in for Jennings on Form and Jordi unlucky but Heaslip is back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Almost always play a strong team the weekend before the HEC

This could be a very very strong side against Connacht and going by some training pics it could be?

Rob
    Zane
    BOD
    Darcy
    Fitz
    Madigan
    Reddan

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore

Toner
    McCarthy?

Rhys
    Jennings?
    Heaslip

Dundon
    JOC
    Ross

Cullen
    Jordi
    Boss
    Gopperth
    Dave K?

Would Have Ryan in for Jennings on Form and Jordi unlucky but Heaslip is back

The most interesting of the training pics was this:

819769.jpg

L McGrath running backline moves with the first choice backline.

Still hard to see him starting this game but it would be a good test for him if he did, up against his U20 partner Marmion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Connacht team:

15. Darragh Leader
    14. Fionn Carr
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Eoin Griffin
    11. Matt Healy
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
    2. Jason Harris-Wright
    3. Nathan White
    4. Mick Kearney
    5. Craig Clarke (captain)
    6. Andrew Browne
    7. John Muldoon
    8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Rodney Ah You
    19. Michael Swift
    20. George Naoupu
    21. Paul O’Donohoe
    22. Dan Parks
    23. Tiernan O’Halloran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

15: Rob Kearney
    14: Zane Kirchner
    13: Brian O'Driscoll
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Luke Fitzgerald
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Jack McGrath
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Martin Moore
    4: Devin Toner
    5: Tom Denton
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Jordi Murphy
    8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Jack O'Connell
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Mike McCarthy
    20: Dominic Ryan
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Jimmy Gopperth
    23: Dave Kearney

No Heenan still injured unlucky

He is quality

• Advertisement

Aha, Murphy to 7, interesting. Really think he could be employed there for us against Castres.

Not sure about that second row pairing, but overall tasty looking team. Strongest we've sent to Connacht in years.

Murphy at 7 very interesting.

Pretty much as expected otherwise.

Moore to start the H Cup games surely now. These 3 games (Edi-Ulster-Conn) were the 3 games he needed to nail down first chioce and it looks like he's done that

Not a huge amount to fear on paper in that Connacht team if I'm honest. Should be looking at a good win here. Never know in Galway though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

That must be the H Cup team bar one or two changes

One thing I just don't get with MOC is the constant selection of Denton.

He's been better this year but still don't think he's better than Roux or Marshall. Must be tearing it up in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

LostArt wrote: »
    That must be the H Cup team bar one or two changes

McCarthy for Denton is the only change I'd make to the starting XV for now. It will be interesting to see how our back row goes. Could potentially put Jenno or Ryan in at 7 next week but if they do well against Connacht tomorrow then I'd nearly be happy keeping that unit. Loving the back line. If the weather permits and we can get some good quick ball I'd hope we can show some class.

Moore starting :D
    Denton starting :confused:
    Ruddock starting :D
    Murphy at 7 :)
    JOC on bench :cool:
    Ryan on bench :cool:

Overall fairly happy with that.

surprised BOD is starting tbh.

interesting to see leader at 15 and henshaw at 13.

carty at 10 too.

Moore starting :D
    Denton starting :confused:
    Ruddock starting :D
    Murphy at 7 :)
    JOC on bench :cool:
    Ryan on bench :cool:

Overall fairly happy with that.

surprised BOD is starting tbh.

Were you not going on about Murphy's inexperience at 7 and how Ryan was way ahead of him there a few days ago?!

molloyjh wrote: »
    McCarthy for Denton is the only change I'd make to the starting XV for now. It will be interesting to see how outlet back row goes. Could potentially put Jenno or Ryan in at 7 next week but if they do well against Connacht tomorrow then I'd nearly be happy keeping that unit. Loving the back line. If the weather permits and we can get some good quick ball I'd hope we can show some class.

It looks like Jennings is paying for that Northampton performance. Wasn't in the squad last week and isn't in the squad this week.

McLaughlin appears to be out of favour too, amazing how quick that can happen (rightly so imo given Ruddock's form). I suspect one of them will get at least a bench spot in Castres but Ryan has played 20 for the last 3 games, so I wouldn't rule him out for the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

If Jack, Marty, Rhys and Jordi are in line to start in Castres it's pretty exciting but it would be a fairly callow pack in terms of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Exciting looking Connacht team especially Carty and Leader coming into the side. A lot of running talent. Their pack is solid enough but exact same as last weekend that struggled at the breakdown. We should be looking to flood it and damage their ball especially with the weather due to actually be alright for the game.

Our team is very interesting. Murphy at openside is a very pleasing move. He is slowly moving into the Seán O'Brien role, perhaps, of being a strong carrier that can play across the back row.

Looks like JOC is ahead of Bent now too. Great boost for him.

No mention of Jennings in the press release. Has Ryan leapfrogged him? No McLaughlin either. Interesting.

Were you not going on about Murphy's inexperience at 7 and how Ryan was way ahead of him there a few days ago?!

I was saying that i thought Ryan was playing well this season and that people shouldn't be calling for Murphy is start in the heineken cup at 7 when he hadnt played there for Leinster in approx a year.

Let's see how he goes against connacht.

I've previously also said that i thought Murphy was best suited to 7 long term because he is relatively small for a top class 8.

Just happy to see Dippy ahead of Jennings on the bench, who has outperformed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have to say I thought Jennings was really ineffective in the loss against Northampton. I'd be in favour of Murphy keeping his place in the team, he's done really well lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

I suppose Ryan is more flexible which makes him a good choice at 20 compared to Jennings or Kev?

So so harsh on Kev, basically while he was away benching for Ireland in November, he slipped dramatically down the pecking order at Leinster. Think the only game he has played since then has been Edinburgh?

Average age of the starting pack is 25.

McGrath(24), Cronin(27), Moore(22), Denton(25), Toner(27), Ruddock(23), Murphy(22), Heaslip(30).

Buer wrote: »

Looks like JOC is ahead of Bent now too. Great boost for him.

Completely missed that too. OK Bent will probably bench v Castres, but even so at the start of this season who would have thought we would be at the stage in a first choice team (or close to it) that Moore would be starting ahead of Ross, JOC ahead of Bent and neither Jennings or McLaughlin would be in the 23 even with SOB injured. Amazing what can happen in the space of a few months. That's without even mentioning J McGrath's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Has McFaddden just dropped off the planet or something?Even in this thread there's been no talk about him for a while now.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Has McFaddden just dropped off the planet or something?Even in this thread there's been no talk about him for a while now.

Injured hand broken bone another month i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Forecast is for it to be not as windy tomorrow so hopefully that won't wreck the match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement