Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery/Energy/Protein bar ingreidient ideas

• 19-06-2015 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have been making bars for the last few weeks to eat after training for recovery. I am making them to a 4:1 carb:protein ratio with a mixture of high and low GI carbohydrates. I am looking for some suggestions on ingredients to add to them to make them healthier and tastier. I am currently eating two of these a day, one around lunch time and one around 9pm.

Currently they include;
    Oats - base ingredient
    Dates
    Whey protein powder
    Cocoa powder
    Raisins
    Honey
    Eggs
    Peanut Butter
    Dark chocolate
    Coconut shavings

Any help would be great. I want to rely less on eggs to bind them but I can't come up with an alternative, and other suggestions would be brilliant too.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

You could use water to help bind them. And then freeze them and thaw out when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi. Any chance you could share you're quantities and methods with us? I make some energy bars I enjoy and THINK they are ok for me.

But what helps bind them is melted coconut oil and melted dark chocolate. Both coconut oil and dark chocolate will solidify when cooled, and if you store these in the fridge then even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oh, you could also replace peanut butter with almond butter or hazelnut butter. It just changes up the flavour if it's getting boring. Both are avail in Holland and Barrett

Advertisement