Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most hated phrases

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Now we're suckin diesel.

*cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Just read through this whole thread and agree with nearly every single post.
    "Happy out" in particular makes me want to drive nails into my eardrums. Most of my friends use it and I just can`t understand it.
    "Random". Everything seems to be fucking "random" these days. NO IT`S NOT.
    I`ve noticed my daughter using "I guess" to answer every bloody question lately as well. She`s watching too much American crap on tv.
    Also,why have nearly all women started "lifting" the last word in every sentence making everything sound like a question? It`s an Australian thing but surely every woman in Ireland hasn`t been to Australia,have they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

There's the blatant mispronunciaton of words. There's just no excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Soz = Sorry :confused: just say sorry you d1ckhead

Meh = In my book you are a moron for using this so called word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Soz = Sorry :confused: just say sorry you d1ckhead

Meh = In my book you are a moron for using this so called word...
    meh...

soz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did you go for pints last night so you did?
    Did you meet that girl you fancy so you did?
    Will you be meeting her tomorrow so you will?
    I think she is mad about you so she is

You are from the Midlands and talk like this so you do :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

'Its alright for couples without kids'

This really winds me up. yeah we don't have kids but we still have bills to pay. We shouldn't be footing the bill because others with loose knicker elastic chose to have kids they couldn't afford. Childrens allowance should be means tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

"Are you in yet" :(

That happened to me once!

Thankfully I wasn't 'in yet'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Idiots who use 'massive' meaning 'good'.

Idiots who say 'mahooosive'! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Misuse of the word "literally."
    OMG, I literally died.
    No you did not, because you are literally standing in front of me you moron.

Also, any of these ****in phrases of the month that are supposed to be cute and quirky but are just fake and annoying. Think the current one is "amazeballs." And anyone who actually says OMG or LOL should be punched in the jaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

"peeps!!!" Shut the fluck up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"We all partied"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

"But I'm entitled...." and also "In before the Lock" on a thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Clareman wrote: »
    Working for a large multi-national company means you got to hear a load of b0ll1x every day, some that really grind my gears are:
    "Low hanging fruit"
    "Proactive solution"
    "Going forward"
    "Work smarter not harder"

http://www.bull****bingo.net/

I think you can replace the asterisks as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I hate the phrase 'first world problems'. It's like saying that because there are people starving in the world that no one should ever complain about anything minor. The phrase is usually said by people sitting at their computers, complaining about other people complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

The constant peppering of conversation with the phrases "just like" and "random" for the purpose of filler.

"It was ... just like... so random, I was just like randomly walking down the road... when I met this random guy, and he just like said something totally random"

If you're not intelligent enough to speak really quickly, then speak slower and form proper sentences. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

'Grammar Nazi'
    Political correctness/health and safety "gone mad"

I agree that it's rude and often pointless to nitpick people's grammar.

And sometimes it's good to be critical of the culture of political correctness and/or health and safety when it is stupidly applied.

But please for Christ's sake please think of some other ways to express it and stop repeating the same two f*cking expressions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

"as they say" and "just did ___, boom :D" or "about to ___, BOOM" and things like that, uuuugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

When someone says literally,

Example; Then she fell over! I literally pissed myself!"

And they really do not mean literally. Why say that? The word has been corrupted to so much that people think it means the exact opposite of what it really means.

Also

'It's very mild'

'Oh, it's very rich'

Shut up you boring idiots! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Misuse of the word "literally."
    OMG, I literally died.
    No you did not, because you are literally standing in front of me you moron.

Also, any of these ****in phrases of the month that are supposed to be cute and quirky but are just fake and annoying. Think the current one is "amazeballs." And anyone who actually says OMG or LOL should be punched in the jaw

Sorry, didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

Amazeballs, I agree. Shot at dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

No need to apologise, this point needs as much emphasis as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I still haven't made my peace with ''the shift''. I suppose it was brought back a couple of years ago in an ironic capacity, but now everyone uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭ronjo

"Kicking the can down the road" for people trying to look smart on politics/economics forums

and as already been said

"first world problems"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i hate it when a bar person or shop assistant grunt "you alright?" at you.

no im not alright if i was i wouldn't have approached you for your assistance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"It's common knowledge..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

What a Thread....

"Aren't you lucky to have a job" ---- that annoys me a lot

I know people are loosing jobs everyday, no offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

"Touch base". Drives me mental when I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

gamgsam wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

Amazeballs, I agree. Shot at dawn.

Or my own post!

It's a (figurative) plague, and needs more awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

The guy in front of me in work is a project manager and when a conference call finishes x minutes earlier than expected he says "thanks guys - here, have x minutes back in your calendar".

When people overly use the word "Bye" at the end of a phonecall eg. "Bye, bye, bye, bye, b.." One is enough you _ _ _ t!

Females who refer to their female mates as "Lads" - "C'mon lads." They're lasses!

"Storeeeee?" - Get 2 f *ck!

Walking down the street when someone you don't know approaches you and uses the term "Bud" - I ain't your "bud" and I'd rip your thorax out if I could get away with it.

When you're eating lunch at your desk and someone says "Ooo, what you got there?" My f* cking lunch "bud" - now pi ss off and let me eat it.

"Can I help you?" having just walked into a shop. If I want your help I'll ask for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

"Oh their heart is in the right place"

Of course it is! Unless there has been some anatomical mix up of course

And the classic (though haven't had the sack to say it yet!)

" I buried my father two weeks ago"

Oh, you are an undertaker or gravedigger now are you?

Advertisement