Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda (Where to start?)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Its funny cause I hear so many of you guys saying the Zelda games are great but I seem lost in the big ocean of the games when ever I try to start one. Glad I'm not the only one.

Funny you should mention that, my first attempt at playing Wind Waker ended like that. I can't remember how but I managed to drift substantially out of sequence in terms of the order in which you're meant to go through the game, and gave up in frustration.

I started again from scratch a couple of weeks ago, though, and I've found the game remarkably straightforward this time around (though it's still a bit slow-moving for my liking), so it's possible I was just being a bit of a numpty first time around. Equally possible, though, is that such games have certain conventions that you have to learn before you can get through them easily, and that having played a few of the games makes you familiar enough with those conventions that you don't really need to think about them while playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have the same problem with zelda as OP.
    I keep starting one of them but never go back to it as I seem to get lost and I'm not a fan of walkthroughs but I guess I should use them.
    I have Zelda 1 & II, 4swords & Minish Cap on 3DS, thinking of getting Links Awakening on the eshop too. And I have OoT on the 3DS, WW/OoT & TP on the GC/Wii.
    Its funny cause I hear so many of you guys saying the Zelda games are great but I seem lost in the big ocean of the games when ever I try to start one. Glad I'm not the only one.

Played both ds zeldas a while back, didnt finish them but I did enjoy what I played so I would recommend one of them for a burst of play. The train on ST is annoying but still kinda cool.

Play LttP, it's the definitive starting point in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Play LttP, it's the definitive starting point in my eyes

I have played that a few times. I relaly like it but once I leave it for a few days I never go back to it and if i do I have no idea whats going on :o, must have a short memory.

Think tonight I will start Zelda 1 & 2 with a walkthrough, but as i remember those game just plonks you in the game and the second one is extremely hard, scary for me :confused:.
    Or maybe I will skip the first 3 and buy Zelda LA from the eshop and start there.

Wonder when LttP will be out on the eshop, prob not for at least a year at the release of a new Zelda for the 3DS :rolleyes:

I have played that a few times. I relaly like it but once I leave it for a few days I never go back to it and if i do I have no idea whats going on :o, must have a short memory.

Think tonight I will start Zelda 1 & 2 with a walkthrough, but as i remember those game just plonks you in the game and the second one is extremely hard, scary for me :confused:.
    Or maybe I will skip the first 3 and buy Zelda LA from the eshop and start there.

Wonder when LttP will be out on the eshop, prob not for at least a year at the release of a new Zelda for the 3DS :rolleyes:

If your having trouble keeping focus on LttP, you've no hope with OoT onwards. I find Zelda games incredible, but you have to want to play them, they're not ideally suited to quick pick up 'n play type gaming. Just do your research on the different stories, read about them, avoiding spoilers, & know enough about each that you really want to play them.

Using walkthroughs defeats the whole purpose, you'll have no sense of achievement playing through that way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or, just buy an N64 and get the cart and play it the way it was supposed to be played, on the system and with the controller it was designed for.
    The Wii version and the GC versions are ok but not as, well, good as on the proper hardware.
    The 3DS version is almost as good as the N64 original though, I'll give it that.

Just so's you know, if were to say this in the A&R forum, you'd be lucky to make it home alive....
    Just so's you know... ;)
    Seesh so many nipickers!! Yes the OP could source a 15+ year old console and play it like that, pay about €30-€50 for one with the Zelda games. Or he could pick up a Wii for about €100+, which is not YET an obsolete console, play all the old games along with the newer ones> Yes the controls aren't as nice, but personally think it makes much more sense!

As for my quote on "Home Console" and "2D", I assumed the OP would get me, but the perfectionists here obviously don't! Most, if not all, Snes/Nes Zelda's were released on the Gameboy along the years so thought I would refer to them as Gameboy games!

• Advertisement

Bought Links Awakening last night, much better on the 3DS screen, much clearer. Will go back to it this evening!!!!

Also

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/28755

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Bought Links Awakening last night, much better on the 3DS screen, much clearer. Will go back to it this evening!!!!

Also

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/28755

So many suggestions. Thanks to everyone. I just got OOT on 3DS so gonna get stuck into that over Christmas. Thanks again :)

Total afterthought. I'm not sure why people feel the need to have these games connected, they are all independant. It's like as if they drew up a sheet of which ones could go where, & the ones that didn't fit, got lumped into an 'alternate timeline'. Sad

Total afterthought. I'm not sure why people feel the need to have these games connected, they are all independant. It's like as if they drew up a sheet of which ones could go where, & the ones that didn't fit, got lumped into an 'alternate timeline'. Sad

Yeah I know, I dont know the story line too well, but sounds rubbish, lol 3 splits?

I understand people want to know the timeline, but it does read like its thrown together, for just casues.

Anyway, loving Links Awakening, played for like 3 hrs last night, seem to be stuck at a part where there is this 'bunny' trapped in a small section, move two blocks and hit him with a pot, but nothing happens. Know I am doing something wrong here but spend about 30mins at it and couldnt figure it out. This is usually where I would give up but not this time, will go back to it again tonight and keep at it.

Edit: Totally know what to do now thanks to an owl.

Enjoying it more this time round :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 andiimann

the orcarina of time is by far the best zelda, right amount of violence, puzzles, mini games and everything else to keep you interested. havnt playd it on the 3ds but cleared it on the n64. got awful confused when it came to gettin the fire bow :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gamestop are selling twilight princess pre owned for 8 euro. Great game I reckon, a steal at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

With all this OOT love, I thought i might hijack and ask if it is possible to learn Epona's song as old Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

efla wrote: »
    With all this OOT love, I thought i might hijack and ask if it is possible to learn Epona's song as old Link?

I think you have to be Young Link. But you can replace the Master Sword in the Temple of Time and go back. You might have to finish the Forest Temple first though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Just got there this very evening, thanks! No patience.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Currently playing through OOT for the first time on the 3ds and wow ..i can see why people call it the best game ever made, its mind blowing a game nearly 14 years old can feel so modern and not dated whats so ever , its a gift from the gods

Currently playing through OOT for the first time on the 3ds and wow ..i can see why people call it the best game ever made, its mind blowing a game nearly 14 years old can feel so modern and not dated whats so ever , its a gift from the gods

I find it mind boggling that in 14 years, gaming has gotten so bland :D

OoT is a masterpiece, kinda timeless really like all the great games. I actually find LttP even more so, with its gorgeous 2D sprite grpahics.

I must download all classic 2d zelda titles in e shop ...

Lol

Finished ocarina of time 3d yesterday for the first time , simply blown away from it , now i started zelda skyward sword today , only thing i can say so far is if all games used motion controls aswell as skyward sword did i can kiss my dualshock playstation controller goodbye

I finished Links Awakening a few day ago, eye opening lol. Was good tho, really liked it. Started Minish Cap right away, man thats easy compared to L.A. nearly finished this. Then I will be going onto OoT to give it a propper go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Finished ocarina of time 3d yesterday for the first time , simply blown away from it , now i started zelda skyward sword today , only thing i can say so far is if all games used motion controls aswell as skyward sword did i can kiss my dualshock playstation controller goodbye

How great it must be to have all that Zelda goodness in front of you... I'm jealous I really am. You'll have a blast playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Majora's Mask is simply sublime too.

Greatest Zelda game for me was Ocarina of Time. I remember renting it along with Turok 2 when it came out. Turok 2 didn't even get a look in! Parents bought it for me that Christmas. I was completely blown away by that game. The controls were brilliant. Z-targeting and auto-jumping felt natural. The dungeons were suitably spooky and atmospheric. The puzzles were maddening but satisfying by the same measure. There was a grande sense of scale in the game. You could first see Death Mountain looming ominously in the distance when you first stepped onto Hyrule Field, later you would climb to the summit.

The stand-out dungeons for me were the Forest Temple (music was enough to drive you mad), Fire Temple (hostile environment kept you on your edge) and the Water Temple (notorious to this day for its difficulty).

I think the game has one of the best soundtracks ever produced. To this day I still listen to some of the tracks on Youtube. Even the ocarina melodies are superior to most tracks in other games.

There was enough content and collectibles in that game to keep you coming back for months, years even! Greatest game ever made, Shigsy's finest moment!

That's before I even get started on the handheld and earlier games. Maybe later...

• Advertisement

How great it must be to have all that Zelda goodness in front of you... I'm jealous I really am. You'll have a blast playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Majora's Mask is simply sublime too.

Greatest Zelda game for me was Ocarina of Time. I remember renting it along with Turok 2 when it came out. Turok 2 didn't even get a look in! Parents bought it for me that Christmas. I was completely blown away by that game. The controls were brilliant. Z-targeting and auto-jumping felt natural. The dungeons were suitably spooky and atmospheric. The puzzles were maddening but satisfying by the same measure. There was a grand sense of scale in the game. You could first see Death Mountain looming ominously in the distance when you first stepped onto Hyrule Field, later you would climb to the summit.

The stand-out dungeons for me were the Forest Temple (music was enough to drive you mad), Fire Temple (hostile environment kept you on your edge) and the Water Temple (Notorious to this day for its difficulty).

I think the game has one of the best soundtracks ever produced. To this day I still listen to some of the tracks on Youtube. Even the ocarina melodies are superior to most tracks in other games.

There was enough content and collectibles in that game to keep you coming back for months, years even! Greatest game ever made, Shigsy's finest moment!

That's before I even get started on the handheld and earlier games. Maybe later...

Twilight princess was the first zelda game i properly played and first zelda title i finished last year , loved it but hated the doggy missions , others like wind waker and majoras mask ive yet to play but eager to , hope for a 3ds port down the line sometime in the future ... I agree with everything you said bout ocarina of time , without ocarina of time i cant see open world adventure games been what they are today without it

and the Water Temple (notorious to this day for its difficulty)

I think its difficulty is very over-emphasised. It's nowhere near as difficult as its made out to be. I completed OoT on the 3DS there a while back & was dreading it, as it had been about seven years since [no really :p] I had last played & finished it. I found the Water Temple rather logical & completed it in a sole sitting...maybe I just got lucky :o

I think its difficulty is very over-emphasised. It's nowhere near as difficult as its made out to be. I completed OoT on the 3DS there a while back & was dreading it, as it had been about seven years since [no really :p] I had last played & finished it. I found the Water Temple rather logical & completed it in a sole sitting...maybe I just got lucky :o

I agree, I managed to breeze through it at the age of about 13 or so. The hardest part for me was battling Dark Link (had to use Din's Fire for that one). That being said it does have a reputation for being confusing and cumbersome though. Having to continuously go into the item screen to put the Iron Boots on and off was a real pain. Glad they fixed that in Twilight Princess.

My main problem with oot and perhaps zelda games in general is i spend more time thinking what do i have to next cause it doesnt explain itself well at times

Sidenote here you know your a badass composer when ya can just reverse a iconic tune and make it another iconic tune

Nintendo you god like bastards

My main problem with oot and perhaps zelda games in general is i spend more time thinking what do i have to next cause it doesnt explain itself well at times

These days games such as Call of Duty will usually have an indicator telling you where to go or who to follow. It's just the progression of modern gaming I suppose. Gamers don't want to be messing around wondering where they should go next. Depends on the game but I wouldn't like to see Zelda games become too apparent. Like Metroid part of the joy is finally solving a puzzle that has stumped you for hours! I think they balanced it well with Navi dancing wildly over an area of interest. Otherwise she was really annoying.

Anyone ever struggle to remember a camera fly-through of the important parts when you enter the start of an area?

These days games such as Call of Duty will usually have an indicator telling you where to go or who to follow. It's just the progression of modern gaming I suppose. Gamers don't want to be messing around wondering where they should go next. Depends on the game but I wouldn't like to see Zelda games become too apparent. Like Metroid part of the joy is finally solving a puzzle that has stumped you for hours! I think they balanced it well with Navi dancing wildly over an area of interest. Otherwise she was really annoying.

Anyone ever struggle to remember a camera fly-through of the important parts when you enter the start of an area?

Agreed, the 'figuring it out for yourself' bits are what build the games huge satisfaction factor, for when you do figure it out, you pat yourself on the shoulder :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

The music in skyward sword was bland. Even though it used orchestrated music, it did not compare to the zelda soundtracks of past :o

Nearly finished first controller , dunno what it is but controller being un responsive to first boss guy , i swing right to left , link swings left to right , swing up to down , links swings diganlogy .. Could be the fact ive a small room .. Was perfect till now , awful annoying swinging on vines aswell or walking along tight ropes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Hi, I've played OOT many, many, MANY times on the N64 and am just finishing skyward sword on the Wii (and intend on starting it all over again!).

I found Majoras mask the most frustrating thing in the world. I quite liked Gamecube The Windwaker and I also liked Twilight Princess on the Wii but they aren't a patch on OOT and as of late Skyward sword.

Would people recommend OOT on the 3DS? My daughter got a 3DS for Christmas and I've been itching to buy OOT for it but wanted to finish skyward sword first. Is OOT worth it (I still have it for the N64).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you've played it many many times already than probably not. It's the exact same, just with some new gloss and 3D.

Advertisement