Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

• 09-11-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

So I was hoping that people would put their favorite coeliac recipies, food brands, food, shops to buy food in this thread and we'd get a decent ammount of info here.

Please note if what you're talking about isn't suitable for all coeliacs when recommending (eg contains barley or contains deglutenised wheat).

Lemon do excellent gluten free buckwheat pancakes.

Shakeaway (Dublin 1) offer gluten free milkshakes and have separate blenders for gluten free or dairy free milkshakes. Very allergy conscious and delicious milkshakes. Just be careful picking your topping as they don't know about trace gluten in the chocolate bars. Consult the coeliac society handbook before making your choice.

Cully and Sully do an excellent range of dinners (all clearly labeled with allergy info) which are really handy for bringing into work or on the go.

The Italian Restaurant - La Taverna Di Baccio on Bachellors walk offers gluten free pasta (and it's absolutely gorgeous).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Well just to point out one thing - the buckwheat pancakes may by their nature be gluten free but as they are all cooked on the same hotplate as normal pancakes there is a very high chance of cross contamination - so not really totally GF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Prego's in Ballyowen SC Lucan offer GF Free Pizzas and Pastas. I think I read somewhere that The Coeliac Society approves this restaurant. I'm open to correction.
    Mario's in Ranelagh ( now owned by the same people) are offering the same. :D Pizza is one of the foods I really missed.

The Market Bar in Fade St Dublin 2 offer GF food and it's clearly marked on the menu. The Fish Stew is gorgeous.

The Glutenfreefoodie makes GF Bread and Cakes available in a couple of places around Lucan and Clondalkin.

Genius range make bread that tastes gorgeous, Dunnes stock it.

EcoDirect in Parkwest carry a wide range of GF foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

The Livewell Brand available in Dunnes do fabulous food :D:D:D:D:D

Really nice!! Two very good blogs - Gluten Free Girl, Coeliac Society!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fermoycailin

Recipes from coeliac society:

http://www.coeliac.ie/gf_living/recipes

Kelkin have a lot of products: www.kelkin.ie
    Clonakilty have gluten free sausages (and GF pastry on coeliac site = sausage roll).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Absolutely aggree. I think they clean the plate before as it's never been an issue for us and my partner is v. sensitive.

Well just to point out one thing - the
    buckwheat pancakes may by their nature be gluten free but as they are all cooked on the same hotplate as normal pancakes there is a very high chance of cross contamination - so not really totally GF

Great stuff so far guys. Appreciate all the links. I really like the GF sausage roll idea. I never even thought of that! Nyom.

I think Kelkin's range is a bit meh though.

Gluten free mince pies will be out soon too (hopefully - they were last year).

A bit nervous about the Pizza due to what I perceive as the massive possibility for cross contamination but if the coeliac society approve a restaurant then that sounds like we might give it a go.

• Advertisement

Hi Eebs,
    I've eaten in Pregos on lots of occassions without any problems. They serve the GF foods on clear plates and the non gf foods on white plates.

Unfortunately I can't eat the Kelkin range as it still contains wheat starch.

I forgot to mention DS range that is also stocked by Dunnes, it's yummy but cos some of their bread have buckwheat I can't eat it.

In Dunnes Cornelscourt I got GF/WF Fish Fingers by Youngs and they are very tasty :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Slaygal wrote: »
    I forgot to mention DS range that is also stocked by Dunnes, it's yummy but cos some of their bread have buckwheat I can't eat it.

You allergic to buckwheat separately? It's just that buckwheat despite the name has no relation whatsoever to wheat, it's not even a grain. Totally different type of seed.

I must be:( because I get same sypmtoms from Wheat, Buckwheat, Spelt and lately Rye is causing me problems too.

GF/WF Fish Fingers by Youngs

Been looking for those for ages but can't find them in any supermarkets near me. Maybe worth the trip to cornelscourt sometime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Tesco stock youngs GF fishfingers. Very tasty indeed.
    I can recommend Prego's and I'd say everyone who is a Coeliac does too. The chef is a Coeliac and nearly all the menu can be done GF, worth a visit. Beshoff Bros on Mespil road, fish and chips. Battered fish very tasty, GF all weekends. Joels on the Naas road, excellent GF menu.

Genius bread is the best, so tasty and acts like normal bread.
    Supervalu do have some GF foods, crossiants and the like, like everything else hard to find.
    Superquinn do a good selection of GF too.

Really pays to shop around, same products in different supermarkets and all at different prices.

Get some of the GF pastry packs or make some of your own, then the selection is endless, Quiche, mincepies looking forward to some home made ones...

I could go on and on....

• Advertisement

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hi,

Tesco stock youngs GF fishfingers. Very tasty indeed.

I've seen them once in Tesco and not since. and now I've got a craving for Fish n Chips.
    Beshoff Bros on Mespil road, fish and chips. Battered fish very tasty, GF all weekends.

On that note Beshoffs on O'Connell St. do coeliac fish n chips (gluten free batter) all the time. Oil is kept separate for gluten free stuff.
    Genius bread is the best, so tasty and acts like normal bread.

Just haven't gotten into Dunnes in town to grab that yet. Looking forward to a chicken mayo sandwich that doesn't taste stale!

Really pays to shop around, same products in different supermarkets and all at different prices.

+1
    I could go on and on...

Please do! I'm getting hungrier and hungrier.

The Counter in Dundrum also offer coeliac burgers (with salad in a bowl) and also serve gluten free beer (last time I was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Marks & Spencers do a gluten free range, brownies are yummy! They also do different types of cakes and breads, even a christmas cake!

Espresso and La Palma in waterford do GF pizza and pasta.
    And Scoozies in Cork do gf pizza aswell.

figrolls wrote: »
    Marks & Spencers do a gluten free range, brownies are yummy! They also do different types of cakes and breads, even a christmas cake!

Espresso and La Palma in waterford do GF pizza and pasta.
    And Scoozies in Cork do gf pizza aswell.

Never seen their brownies but that just reminded me they also do amazing sausages that are GF. (Sweet Chili are the best).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Nicest Gluten free beer and reasonable price is Estralle Daura, a spanish company. You will find it in Dunnes and have seen also in Superquinn. It comes in packs of 4 x 330 ml bottles and is 8 70 for four at moment in Dunnes.

I use a breadmaker to make yeast bread with Juvela mix from a chemist. It makes a decent sized loaf and I can add in selection of dry seeds/nuts etc.

M and S have decent range of cakes now and have added bread also. And mince pies/puds/xmas cake are there this time of year. Fair amount of GF items throughout store but have to hunt for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have stickied this thread for the moment. There is a request for a separate Coeliac forum, or possibly a general food allergy forum so we will see how popular this sticky is first. See that thread here

Note this does not mean you should post trivial comments just to make it seem like it is popular, some sticky threads end up too long and people end up having to sift through endless posts to find the real useful info, and end up repeating questions & answers. So if you just want to thank people then use the "thanks" feature (that is the little thumbs up sign to the far right of the quote button).

Keep in mind the charter rules

Bear in mind we are not professional nutritionists and we are not doctors, so don't look for medical advice. Please seek advice from your Dr. or a Nutritionist before embarking on any major overhaul of your eating habits. If you have any pre-exisitng condition that requires specific nutritional needs please note that the N&D forum is NOT a substitute for a qualified dietician. We cannot advise on the best diet for these circumstances and any posts doing so will be edited/ deleted as necessary.

Hi,

The Juvela range of baps, the white and fibre rolls are tasty too. M&S do a range of cakes which are nice for a birthday so you don't feel left out.

Pataks range of sauces are Gluten free, nice to have something a little different.

Just make sure you read all ingredients. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

For Corkonians, Currans off North Main street are very accommodating to people wishing to avoid gluten and do an excellent gluten free pizza base. Also o' Flynns homemade sausages from the English market (they have about 5 different gluten free types) are amazing and their new grill off Patricks street is great value too and you can get gluten free sausages with salads etc there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Slaygal wrote: »
    Spelt and lately Rye is causing me problems too.
    Both should never be eaten by coeliacs. Buckwheat is a relative to rhubarb.

Has anyone seen the Tesco Gluten free mince pies at all this year? Found the M+S ones but tried 3 Tescos this weekend and no dice. Hope they're doing them.

The brownies in Starbucks aregluten free as is the chocolate and hazelnut cake. Pichet and Dax are good restaurants for coeliacs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Bewley's Hotel, Newlands Cross serves its sauces gluten free. They have gluten free gravy and their dinners are a favourite with our coeliac child.

We always double check by asking the waiter about the menu. They don't go to the extent of doing gluten-free pasta or stuffing but if you stick to the carvery meat you should be fine.

Was in need of some biscuity munchies the last night and was delighted to discover Mrs Crimbles coconut macaroons (http://www.mrscrimbles.com/macaroons.htm) are gluten free. The Jam coconut rings taste exactly like Kimberly mikados minus the biscuit bit.

Just be careful as not all Mrs Crimbles products are suitable for coeliacs.

Anyway, one of my faves is to do curries with veg and meat - no rice. The Thai Gold curry pastes are really good for this and their Nam Pla and oyster sauce are also gluten free.

Also bouillon is your friend if making soups, sauces etc. Much nicer than the stock cubes I find.

Ok so what's up with this, I just bought gluten and wheat free bread for the first time (Livewell multiseed sliced bread) as a treat to have with some soup and when I tried to put some butter on it it literally crumbled into a million pieces. Very annoying considering the price! Is this normal for gluten-free breads? Am I missing something :confused:

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ok so what's up with this, I just bought gluten and wheat free bread for the first time (Livewell multiseed sliced bread) as a treat to have with some soup and when I tried to put some butter on it it literally crumbled into a million pieces. Very annoying considering the price! Is this normal for gluten-free breads? Am I missing something :confused:

Unfortunately normal. I've had some homemade gluten free bread that didn't taste horrible but the consistency at the end of the day was more cakey then real bread.

I've heard amazing things about Genius bread, supposedly gluten free and just like normal bread but I can't find it ANYWHERE. If anyone has any info on this please please share. Willing to travel for the makings of a decent GF chicken and mayo sambo.

So really I'm on the hunt for the GF fish fingers, genius bread and other brands (not MnS) of GF mince pies. Not much to ask is it? ;)

BUT I found GF White pudding (Hodgins range in Tesco) and made my girlfriends day at the weekend. So that's a perk. It was honestly totally delicious by non-GF standards.

OMG never occured to me that gluten free puddings existed! Is there such a thing as gluten free black pudding? That would make me soooo happy! :)

So who's the best for gluten free mince pies then? Need to think about stocking up for the christmas now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You can definitely buy Genius bread in Dunnes in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

I've had the gluten free foodie's (http://www.theglutenfreefoodie.com/) brown bread and have ordered a gluten free Christmas pudding from the butchers in Leopardstown Valley who supply their stuff for Christmas.
    I have seen some GF mince pies and Christmas cake in Dunnes in Leopardstown Valley in D18 and think I have seen Genius bread there too but will check again.
    Haven't really tried any GF bread (except for the above example) as I will generally eat the whole thing!

Gluten free bread will break up when buttered unless you toast it. Genius bread won't break up like every other brand of gluten free bread and is tatsy.
    Hodgins do a range of black pudding and it is very tasty, can recommend it. Have only seen it in Dunnes.

As for Gluten free mince pies, get some pastry mix and make your own, a hundred times tastier.

• Advertisement

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hodgins do a range of black pudding and it is very tasty, can recommend it. Have only seen it in Dunnes.

This has me very very excited! Thanks a mil :)

EDIT: Just rang Hodgins there, waiting to hear back from the sales manager to get a list of shops stocking their puds in Cork city! :)

EDIT (again): For anyone who's interested they supply the puds to Tesco in Paul St shopping centre, the Supervalue in Merchants Quay and sometimes the new Dunnes on Patrick St.

Advertisement