Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Luckily Jimmy is a regular poster on this very forum, maybe he'll take notice of any advice we have for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Luckily Jimmy is a regular poster on this very forum, maybe he'll take notice of any advice we have for him.

I'm all ears lads.

I actually haven't listened to Section.80 yet. I've had too many other albums to listen to up till now. It's hard to keep up with everything especially when I'm trying to sort out all that **** with Detox.

Would ye recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Best thing I have heard from a new rapper since Archetype by Tonedeff. (he was around for a long time but that was his debut album)

Better than most albums, full stop actually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

if a hip hop snob like me things it decent...then i'd recommend listening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    if a hip hop snob like me things it decent...then i'd recommend listening. :D

That's as good a recommendation as anyone could give I think :pac:.

• Advertisement

I am nearly certain this was what made me listen to section.80 either this or the opening of the Hiiipower video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

nice interview with carson daly formerly of mtv, good story about pac and dre in it.

Wtf is up with the numbers? (the video does not help the black ops video that is)

Wtf is up with the numbers? (the video does not help the black ops video that is)

havnt a clue man.:)

havnt a clue man.:)

Ok, I presume it is so the video does not get taken down maybe? Because it has no tags either so the only way to find it was through twitter or thisis50.com

Anyway, doesn't matter. Good stories in the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Interview with Nardwuar at SXSW.

5:22-5:30

Hahahahahaahah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Saw that interview with Nardwuar the other day and had to subscribe and watch his back catalouge, such good interviews.

Loved when he brought Jay Rock over there and asked him about the Compton Tours, Jay Rock was like "Oh you dont wanna go there."

staircases has dropped today, it isnt a lamar track he just ft's on it. Not bad, taught it was going to be better tbh but lamar kills it no questions asked.

prod by pharrell too.

lamar interview with dj whoo kid, talks nas, asap, dre etc

personally love to see a nas/lamar collab, i think they could compliment each other a lot.

http://www.radioplanet.tv/kendrick-lamar-whookid-shade45-apr12/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Finally gave section.80 a go. Got halfway through it and just bailed out. he's just not for me.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Finally gave section.80 a go. Got halfway through it and just bailed out. he's just not for me.

At least you gave it a shot, suppose he can't be everyone's cup of tea.

Just Out of interest paddy what puts you of him? :)

At least you gave it a shot, suppose he can't be everyone's cup of tea.

Just Out of interest paddy what puts you of him? :)

Mainly his voice to be honest with you, i know it's not a great reason to be put off a rapper but there's just something about it. And his content wasn't really special. There just wasn't much worth repeating on that album for the first few tracks.
    The production wasn't bad on it though, by todays standards he is very good i have to give him that.

For some reason he reminds me of a young andre 3000, maybe like andre he'll get better with age. I genuinely hope dre keeps him away from rick ross or wayne or anybody to do with young money. That label would render him almost impossible to listen to imo.

I'll listen to the other half later on. I'm still very impressed with the recipe, maybe kendricks next album will be to my liking.

It is one of the few albums I could just play start to finish and listen to it again and again.

But I know what you mean if a rappers voice annoys you it is hard to just ignore it (not hip-hop but thats what made me not like the Smiths for years)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I quite like his voice, I like how he articulates certain words and puts emphasis on some letters, mainly the letter 't'.

In regards to Section.80, i think the first 5 songs are great, then the next 2 or 3 are not so great, next few are decent. Rigamortis steals the show, and then the rest is OK-ish. The production on Rigamortis is insane, the horn is awesome, and the dusty dubby drums, and the flow. The single note baseline that sparodicially appears is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

The production on rigamortis is probably the thing i don't like about the song, it just sounds like half a beat that was sloppily made imo.
    His flow is flawless on it though.

13/16 of the songs are amazing and the other 3 are not particularly bad either.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Mainly his voice to be honest with you, i know it's not a great reason to be put off a rapper but there's just something about it. And his content wasn't really special. There just wasn't much worth repeating on that album for the first few tracks.
    The production wasn't bad on it though, by todays standards he is very good i have to give him that.

For some reason he reminds me of a young andre 3000, maybe like andre he'll get better with age. I genuinely hope dre keeps him away from rick ross or wayne or anybody to do with young money. That label would render him almost impossible to listen to imo.

I'll listen to the other half later on. I'm still very impressed with the recipe, maybe kendricks next album will be to my liking.

na man a rappers voice is a legit reason to not like his music in my eyes, im the same with lil wayne his voice just goes through me hence me not being a fan at all.

the only song i dont really like on section 80 is "no make up on" always skip it, just dont like the hook throws me of big time.

I love that hook (prefer the rest of the song though). It matches the song plus I love a bit of signing in hip-hop but can see how it is not everyones cup of tea.

Kush and Corinthians
    Blow my High
    and less so Ab Souls outro are my least favorite but the rest are among my favorite songs.

Coming after Rigamortus and before Hiiipower is a tall order for those songs though in fairness.

I love that hook (prefer the rest of the song though). It matches the song plus I love a bit of signing in hip-hop but can see how it is not everyones cup of tea.

Kush and Corinthians
    Blow my High
    and less so Ab Souls outro are my least favorite but the rest are among my favorite songs.

Coming after Rigamortus and before Hiiipower is a tall order for those songs though in fairness.

Ye the actual song in general isn't bad, Iv tried to like it though but the hook is just not too my liking.

Ye the rest are bangers, my standouts are f*uck your ethnicity, A.D.H.D and the Ronald reagan era. Hii power was a great single choice , possibly cole's best piece of production IMO.

surely has to be one of the best pieces of hip hop released in the last 5 years, at least from what I listened to anyway. I know it might sound like I'm over exaggerating but I honestly think its not far from a modern classic or at least just very very good modern day hip hop music in a genre that's really struggling to keep its indentity on the commercial front.

surely has to be one of the best pieces of hip hop released in the last 5 years, at least from what I listened to anyway. I know it might sound like I'm over exaggerating but I honestly think its not far from a modern classic or at least just very very good modern day hip hop music in a genre that's really struggling to keep its indentity on the commercial front.

No, I don't think that is a stretch. Despite my early hating of it I would compare it to Illmatic or 2pacs albums.

He was what 23 when it was released? The lyrics, the flow and the production are all solid.

I don't know if I am a fan of his work in general yet, but this album is really really good.

Best album I have heard since Archetype by Tonedeff of The Documentary (off the top of my head)

No, I don't think that is a stretch. Despite my early hating of it I would compare it to Illmatic or 2pacs albums.

He was what 23 when it was released? The lyrics, the flow and the production are all solid.

I don't know if I am a fan of his work in general yet, but this album is really really good.

Best album I have heard since Archetype by Tonedeff of The Documentary (off the top of my head)

The only thing stopping me comparing it to albums like illmatic or my favourite PAC album me against the world is just the time frame and how differnt hip hop was back then compared to now.

But a classics a classic so there all worthy of a comparison. I think what will cement section 80 as a possibly classic is the test of time, if I'm still banging the album 5 or 10 years from now, it's defeintly a classic at least in my eyes then.

Just remembered a interview of Lamar when he said he had visions of pac and he told him to keep doing his thing and don't let his music die ! That is crazy I don't think Lamar is the type who'd make that up for publicity either and I think there birthdays are only a day or 2 apart aswell.

But a classics a classic so there all worthy of a comparison. I think what will cement section 80 as a possibly classic is the test of time, if I'm still banging the album 5 or 10 years from now, it's defeintly a classic at least in my eyes then.

Just remembered a interview of Lamar when he said he had visions of pac and he told him to keep doing his thing and don't let his music die ! That is crazy I don't think Lamar is the type who'd make that up for publicity either and I think there birthdays are only a day or 2 apart aswell.

True early 90's was very different, especially hip-hop wise (looking back) but a great album is a great album.

It is in the Hiiipower video too for about a second or two saying how he got a visit from "lesane parish crooks". That is what got me into him that banging beat , the lyrics, the message and the fact that Hiiipower is very much inspired by Thug Life and much more rational and more thought out than Thug Life.

lamar talks chocella concert with dre, says its gona smash up in smoke :eek:

im expecting black hippy, snoop, either game or 50 , possibly em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

lamar talks chocella concert with dre, says its gona smash up in smoke :eek:

im expecting black hippy, snoop, either game or 50 , possibly em?
    Think Eminem is a certainty. Also read that there'll be a Nate Dogg hologram, it will be as if he's there performing with them. Warren G, Kurupt and Daz will also be there apparently.

Advertisement