Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Gauge wrote: »
    Just wondering- when you say coconut milk, do you mean the Kara brand milk or the full fat tinned variety?

Kara brand.
    colman1212 wrote: »
    Is ground flax seed ok to use instead of milled?

Yeah. There's not much of a diff imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

How did you get on making them. Sound delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I've made the originals and sunnydubs ones now and heres what I think:

The originals I added in too much water so they were mushy so had to keep them in the freezer but when I took one out to eat, it reminded me of a mars ice cream a bit so they were delicious. So, delicious but terrible texture.

Sunnydubs ones had a much better consistency and werent sticky or soggy but I found them a bit bland, nowhere near as tasty as the originals. Granted I did deviate from the recipe by using slimline milk instead of coconut milk, regular choc protein powder instead of nut-choc and peanut butter instead of hazlenut butter.

My 2c.

Next time I will go for the originals and try keep the water under control! Add it slowly because it goes from you thinking "wow this needs lots more water" to "oops, its a wet mess" in a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

Delicious, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

The problem is ppl buy protein bars when their out and about and have nothing else to eat and what a protein hit. If you gonna carry them with you , you could carry any snack with you - a turkey wrap for example ? I suppose these keep better in your shirt pocket !

Great post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Transform wrote: »

Dominic the peanut butter cravings are immense if you have people who have problems dieting and love Reese peanut butter bars

Quest-Nutrition-Quest-Cravings-Protein-Peanut-Butter-Cups.jpg

Dominic the peanut butter cravings are immense if you have people who have problems dieting and love Reese peanut butter bars

have yet to try.

Darn they look good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've tried both versions and Sunnydubs ones are much better. I've changed the recipe slightly by taking out the egg, adding more coconut milk (half can), peanut butter (60g), manuka honey (60g) and extra nuts. I also drizzle regular honey over the top before baking. I also changed the coco powder to nesqwik powder. Lovely when cooled with a glass of milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Transform wrote: »
    have yet to try.

Darn they look good!!

They're unbelievable. Taste is pretty much identical to Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. Only difference is they're a little drier. Banana Nut Muffin is a new flavour as well and it's delicious.

There's also a new Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavour coming out soon. Can't wait to try them. Quest are my favourite company, ever.

Oisín

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've got two boxes of the cookie dough ones right here, they're good alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

I got the ingredients today and made an attempt at making these. It was straight forward enough just and added water as i needed. It's gone straight into the freezer. I'll will taste them tomorrow and be back with an update on how they turned out for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

A bit sticky this morning, i used a bit to much water. They taste nice enough, a little after taste of peanut butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've made a good few batches of these at this stage, but I still haven't perfected them. Mine always turn out very very chewy, as in my jaw muscles are getting a serious workout when I'm eating the bars. I'm doing something wrong at some point when I am making them.
    My bars aren't sticky at all, so it's not that I'm adding too much water. And they are not crumbly either, so it's not that I'm adding too little water. I follow the recipe in the OP. The only difference being that I use unflavoured whey protein, and I add a scoop or two of cocoa powder.
    Also, the bars pretty much get welded to my teeth when I am chewing them! Brushing my teeth afterwards is a must!

Anyone have any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

made up a batch just there, and after mixing everything together realised I had no maple syrup

it's in the freezer now... wonder how neccesary the syrup is to the finished product

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

I've made a good few batches of these at this stage, but I still haven't perfected them. Mine always turn out very very chewy, as in my jaw muscles are getting a serious workout when I'm eating the bars. I'm doing something wrong at some point when I am making them.
    My bars aren't sticky at all, so it's not that I'm adding too much water. And they are not crumbly either, so it's not that I'm adding too little water. I follow the recipe in the OP. The only difference being that I use unflavoured whey protein, and I add a scoop or two of cocoa powder.
    Also, the bars pretty much get welded to my teeth when I am chewing them! Brushing my teeth afterwards is a must!

Anyone have any ideas?

Try adding less flaxseed and they shouldn't be as chewy.

turns out maple syrup is a pretty important part of the recipe

have them in the oven now and a low heat to see if I can harden them up a bit

muffinn wrote: »
    Try adding less flaxseed and they shouldn't be as chewy.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I do not see these on iherb site. Where may I procure them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Cheers, I switched on my google machine after I posted and found it! Disappointing iherb don't carry them as I'm sure they'd be significantly less expensive.

Cheers, I switched on my google machine after I posted and found it! Disappointing iherb don't carry them as I'm sure they'd be significantly less expensive.
    Give it time or mail iherb

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Anybody know what aldi products that could be used to substitute they ingredients in ops post?

Snowc wrote: »
    Anybody know what aldi products that could be used to substitute they ingredients in ops post?

You can get the following in Aldi:
    Kavanagh's Organic Porridge Oats (they make fantastic porridge!!!); whole almonds (near the eggs and other nuts); linseed (it's in a green package near the cereals and porridge); maple syrup (near the jams and honey).

Aldi sell peanut butter, but not the 'no added sugar' variety. I get that in Dunnes or Tesco. And the obviously don't sell the whey protein :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Kavanagh's Organic Porridge Oats (they make fantastic porridge!!!); whole almonds (near the eggs and other nuts); linseed (it's in a green package near the cereals and porridge); maple syrup (near the jams and honey).

Aldi sell peanut butter, but not the 'no added sugar' variety. I get that in Dunnes or Tesco. And the obviously don't sell the whey protein :)

Couldnt ask for a better post thanks a million:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

How much do they charge for the almonds? I picked up 200g in Lidl for the first time last week and they were only about €1.70. I was paying nearly 3 quid in Tesco before that.:o

think they're about the same in aldi, definitely under 1.90 anyway

JackieChan wrote: »
    How much do they charge for the almonds? I picked up 200g in Lidl for the first time last week and they were only about €1.70. I was paying nearly 3 quid in Tesco before that.:o

Similar price for similar quantity in Aldi.
    I'd be broke if I had to buy them in Dunnes or Tesco :)

• Advertisement

Was chatting to a client last week who works for Lidl as he needed some advice on whey protein, creatine, glutamaine etc. more of a quality question but turned out the products he showed me were aimed to be stocked in Irish stores so you might be able to get your whey in Lidl soon!!

Advertisement