Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

just out of curiousity, has anyone bought their salmon and sea trout licence for this year?

I haven't bought it yet and I didn't buy one last year. Since they doubled the price of it in one year I havent really been able to afford it (student budget :rolleyes:). I still fished for seatrout but returned all I caught (which I would prob do if i had a licence anyway). I hooked a few grilse over the summer too but they were while fishing some small rivers in Kerry for brownies. Never landed anyone of them but got me a new rod of Santa this year. ;)

Honestly, don't know if I will be buying one this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Wont buy it till paddy`s week,no point in having the paper work and not being able to go fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

just out of curiousity, has anyone bought their salmon and sea trout licence for this year?

Got mine in the post yesterday. Hope I'll be able to use it more this year than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

when and where are u hoping to begin your year mr. slasher?

and seafields, what rod did santy bring you?

seafields, what rod did santy bring you?

I got me a new Greys G-series, 10ft, 7/8. my father gave it to me a few months back as an early Christmas present as he picked it up in a end of season sale but it was made clear it was my Christmas present!

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I was starting to get fed up with my now old fly rod - a Sage Launch 9ft 5/6 - as I believe it cost me a few nice fish as it has a very soft tip. A gillie in Waterville told me the same after I lost a lovely seatrout one evening.

Not long now and I'll christen her :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

My local river is closed for Salmon fishing again this year. Hasn't been open for Salmon in years (destroyed by the dredging of 70's) although numbers seem to be up the past few years. I actually caught one myself last year while spinning for trout! I thought I was on for a river record trout as I was reeling it in! When I got it to the bank though I realised it was a male salmon, roughly 5lbs, so I unhooked him as carefully as I could and put him back. My first and only salmon, caught by accident!

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    ... so I unhooked him as carefully as I could and put him back. My first and only salmon, caught by accident!

My compliments good Sir. A lot of fellas would have knocked that fish on the head and brought it home.

My first salmon was also caught by accident (and most that followed were too - I'm still on single numbers) whilst fishing for an early sea trout one evening.

SeaFields wrote: »
    My compliments good Sir. A lot of fellas would have knocked that fish on the head and brought it home.

My first salmon was also caught by accident (and most that followed were too - I'm still on single numbers) whilst fishing for an early sea trout one evening.

Well I'm a young lad yet so hoping it will pay dividends in the future. No point complaining about the river having no salmon in it if you go taking the odd the one that does appear. Unfortunately I'd say not too many others along the river would do the same. Even as I got it onto the bank though I was still under the impression it wasa huge trout as it was dark brown along the top and had red spots along the back, but I believe this occurs after they spend some time in a river system?

Hey!!! I'm a young lad too :D

yeah, the fish turn "red" after being in fresh water for awhile. Anyway thats what mobile phone cameras are for! Sea trout do the same and many a dark sea trout has been mistaken for a nice brownie.

Hey!!! I'm a young lad too :D

yeah, the fish turn "red" after being in fresh water for awhile. Anyway thats what mobile phone cameras are for! Sea trout do the same and many a dark sea trout has been mistaken for a nice brownie.

I did get a half a pic on the camera phone but I was on my own and didn't want to have it thrashing about on the bank too much. The only photo I got it looks more like a big trout. I had trouble convincing the lads it was a salmon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

I have a copy if anyone wants it, the flies are amazing. Im more of a pike, salt water man anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

How much is the salmon and sea trout license this year lads?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ryan! wrote: »
    How much is the salmon and sea trout license this year lads?
    http://www.salmonlicences.ie/Portals/2/Licence_Sales_FAQ.pdf
    there ya go

mp22 wrote: »

This kinda sh!te annots the hell out of me.

Firstly the price difference between an all Ireland licence and a district licence. All of us do a bit of travel to fish. As ye know I fish between Cork and Kerry. Even though these are under the protection of the SWRFB I would have to buy a full licence to fish both areas rather than just a regional licence (they define the €60 licence as enabling you to fish in a specific district of a region). I'm sure this applies to a lot of ye.

The price of a day licence does nothing to encourage angling tourism. We have a great resource in this country which we should be taking advantage of especially in these economically turbulent times.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Any thoughts?

Fishin' ain't cheap.

If you want to fish in good spots, you have to pay to travel there, maybe accommodation also. Some fisheries will charge you. A ghillie on some of the lakes will charge more than a hundred quid a day. Equipment is dear if you want really good quality stuff. So, I'd rather not have to pay for a licence, but 120 quid for the year is not a whole lot, especially as fishing in a good spot is probably the best thing you can do with your pants on. I only hope that the money I pay for my licence is being spent wisely by the Fisheries Boards :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Yeah the salmon license is pretty expenseive but it goes to a worthy cause.

Rycn wrote: »
    Yeah the salmon license is pretty expenseive but it goes to a worthy cause.

I don't know does it. In my dealings with the fishery board over the years as secretary of a club that had a serious poaching problem, I found them terrible to deal with. Lack of motivation to do anything and a serious ego problem among some of the bailiffs. They just weren't interested and questioning this just led to even less being done.

I know of one major club whose president told me that they ran the fisheries board out of the place and said they would police their own waters which they now do very well ( i have seen this in action).

I must, however, compliment the scientific side of the board overall which does great work.

Any more opinions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I don't know does it. In my dealings with the fishery board over the years as secretary of a club that had a serious poaching problem, I found them terrible to deal with. .... I know of one major club whose president told me that they ran the fisheries board out of the place and said they would police their own waters which they now do very well .... I must, however, compliment the scientific side of the board ....

Just poaching? A tad simplistic, even though you give the biologists their dues. What about the water pollution protection provided by the boards? Clubs don't exactly have a good track record at suing the farmer if they have to also rent his fishing!
    The relative independence of the boards has it's advantages in such situations, also in opposing planning applications for certain schemes on our behalf, when the typical individual would have no time to do this, though personally opposing these kind of developments too.

The recent prosecutions of Kilkenny farmers for doing digging work on the riverbanks and bed, sending silt downriver during winter months while the future fish are vulnerable eggs under the gravel would be another example of boards doing their stuff. Not perfect - maybe - but still to be commended for doing much good work that needs doing.

You seem to be putting clubs against boards, that's counterproductive when the boaords and clubs are actually ideal partners in achieving good results.

In one club I was a member of, we staked out a poaching spot and removed the wages budget the board could not afford, we caught the poachers, the fishery board brought the case (assuming the costs and risks in that) and we served as witnesses for them at no legal risk to us. That was a good example of how it might be IMO.

coolwings wrote: »
    In one club I was a member of, we staked out a poaching spot and removed the wages budget the board could not afford, we caught the poachers, the fishery board brought the case (assuming the costs and risks in that) and we served as witnesses for them at no legal risk to us. That was a good example of how it might be IMO.

Indeed that is exactly how it should work. Cooperation is always going to be an ideal working relationship for all stakeholders. However in my time as an active member of a club committee it was far from an ideal relationship we had with the board and that was echoed by several other clubs in the area.

One example I can give you....I got a phone call off a club member one summers day to say there was a group of young lads stroke hauling sea trout out of one of our pools. I was in college and not in a position to go down and the member that rang was walking with his children so obviously didn't want to approach them but could see what they were at. I rang the board to get somebody down and was told I would be contacted again shortly. No phone call came and couldn't get through after I rang again. Those lads left with a bag of fish each. I rang the following day to be told I would be contacted shortly. And what a phone call I received back - the most memorable line which came down the phone was "who the fcuk are you to be questioning our work" and a litany of other things basically telling me how small we were in the greater scheme of things. Maybe I caught him on a bad day but, as you can appreciate, first impressions last. There were a handful of situation like this before we ceased contacting the board at all.

Perhaps in many situations like this different boards have different levels of competence in dealing with situations like this and in saying that maybe down this direction its at the lower end of the scale.

We have a different approach these days. We have a good working relationship with the community garda who is of assistance in many cases and, as a club, we organise patrols on the river at times we have found to be most effective at catching out the poachers. It seems to be effective so far but would welcome with open arms a few visits from time to time by fishery board bailiffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

I don't know does it. In my dealings with the fishery board over the years as secretary of a club that had a serious poaching problem, I found them terrible to deal with. Lack of motivation to do anything and a serious ego problem among some of the bailiffs. They just weren't interested and questioning this just led to even less being done.

I know of one major club whose president told me that they ran the fisheries board out of the place and said they would police their own waters which they now do very well ( i have seen this in action).

I must, however, compliment the scientific side of the board overall which does great work.

Any more opinions?

I just presumed the money went to the maintenance of Irelands waterways so thats why i said it goes to a worthy cause, but if it doesnt then either way, gona have to buy one to fish for salmon.

• Advertisement

hello chaps and chapesses,

anyone excited about this month? i've had a messy 4 last months but things seem to be on track and its time to wash the lines.

i hope to start the season with a lesson from dr. david whitren, the battle of britain pilot, on the boyne. god willing.

i still haven't got my salmon licence yet but will do so over the next few weeks.

sorry i haven't been posting, a few tough months, hope to be around more often.

heard a great interview with Peter O'Reilly on lmfm today, contacted them to ask if they could post it as a podcast. if they do i'll let you know immediately.

I need to acquire a new spinning rod as I broke mine at the end of last season. Haven't been able to find to time to get to a shop just yet though. Hopefully I can get one sorted before the end of the week as I may have a few free hours on Saturday where I could hit the river.

First day on the water today, glorious sunshine, bitter easterly. Had a TWO hour lesson, got tired after 20 minutes, wrecked after 120. Man who was teaching me who is 88, well, not a bother. got a nibble from a trout on a huge salmon fly! the doc who taught me is going to Vancouver in September, after he rebuilds a few weirs on the Boyne.

maybe if i flew against Nazi's in the most important battle in history i wouldn't be such a wimp standing in a light March breeze!

I would usually bring out the fly rod at the start of March. Was especially looking forward to that this year as I have a new rod which I cant wait to try.

The weather has been against us all. However last week was the first time in months that I didn't have frost on my car in the morning. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

As much as i cant wait to get out with the fly rod I am going to try spinning for bass in about an hour. Big tides this week and a lovely warm spring breeze here today. Makes for some change!

Anyone else been out with the fly rod? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

... Anyone else been out with the fly rod? :)

I wait until after Patrick's Day before trouting with the fly rod. So after work today I will go through the gear and check all is present and correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yeah I've been out stockie bashing every weekend for the last month on Aisling and Cloghan, good fun but waiting for calmer weather before hitting Ree for the wild ones!! :)

I am going to try spinning for bass in about an hour. Big tides this week and a lovely warm spring breeze here today.

Well that was a waste of time! Did see two small fish which followed my flying c right to the shore. Still it was good to get out even if it was for just the two hours. :)

Next outing will be with the fly rod i hope

managed to get out on the Nanny today, not a creature was stirring, not even a trout. was actually under the M1 where the river runs neath it, lovely stretch.
    getting my salmon licence for the long easter weekend, not sure where i'm going but getting out of the city. just about warm enough to stay in a tent, well, maybe just for one night.
    thinking about staying on an island maybe in roaring water bay, will check it out now.

thinking about staying on an island maybe in roaring water bay, will check it out now.
    strangely enough the minute you start thinking about west cork it starts raining.O yea most if not all puddles on the roads down here are hiding big deep potholes, drive carefully.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the stockie lakes in Kerry are open yet?

Heading for a weekend in the Kingdom and in two minds whether to bring the fly gear. Will try and sneak away from herself for cast :D

With all the snow on the mountains down there id say the rivers aren't going to produce so best leave the wild trout in peace for another few weeks.

Advertisement