Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do I need in a Health Insurance Plan ?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi , like a lot of people I'm due for renewal in January. I'm wondering what does the average 34 year old need?. I'm in dread frankly, it was E1499 last year, more than all other fixed charges combined. So I'm wondering if anyone has ideas as to how to get what I actually need and not pay for what I don't?.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Helath Insurance Authority is your friend:

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

You can compare different plans.

I was on the old Plan B Options with VHI, which became a ridonculous cost so I ended up switching to the One Plan Starter, i.e. their cheapest package, because I rarely have any medical issues.

Naturally enough, I ended up having to spend 3 days and 2 nights in hospital with a matter of months.

Total cost to me: €0.

Not sure what extra I'd be getting with a more expensive plan but what I have has catered for me thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Do you suffer any illnesses or need to visit the GP regularly? Is there a family history of anything nasty? Do you play sports where you would be prone to injury? Is your health in general poor (i.e. chest pains, shortness of breath, anxiety, obesity, etc?

depending on the answers to those questions why not get a bog-standard €500 a year plan and put the remaining €1000+ into a rainy day fund?

Better to do that than pay to subsidise some 80 year old on a bells and whistles VHI policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi I'm involved in club athletics, and require 3 monthly injections long term, not for anything serious, just routine really
    thanks
    Sarah

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm involved in club athletics, and require 3 monthly injections long term, not for anything serious, just routine really
    thanks
    Sarah

To be administered by a GP?

Yes, by a GP.

Suppose the worst happens and I get cancer, have a stroke or develope heart problems, or sustain an athletics injury, how does the treatment differ? that's really what it's about isn't it? it's less about day to day,than emergencies

And suppose I travel within the European Union?does private Health Insurance help my cause should the worst happen? :)

• Advertisement

Yes, by a GP.

Suppose the worst happens and I get cancer, have a stroke or develope heart problems, or sustain an athletics injury, how does the treatment differ? that's really what it's about isn't it? it's less about day to day,than emergencies

And suppose I travel within the European Union?does private Health Insurance help my cause should the worst happen? :)

When you look through the different plans, look out for any contribution towards GP visits.

As for the unexpected, it's about weighing up the likelihood of those happening. You can go and pay for the most expensive cover in case they happen or base your choice on what you know you'll have to deal with and what might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As regards the gp cover, it's only worth having if you visit the gp often enough to go over the excess... I've been caught by this before.
    Secondly, have a think about what hospitals are near you, and that can help decide. For example, my nearest private hospital is about 40 miles away, so realistically, I wouldn't be there for most inpatient things, Bevause I'd stay local. For day cases (for eg a colonoscopy), I would go there, so I always mAke sure my insurance offers full cover for day cases in a private hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

The Helath Insurance Authority is your friend:

http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

You can compare different plans.

I was on the old Plan B Options with VHI, which became a ridonculous cost so I ended up switching to the One Plan Starter, i.e. their cheapest package, because I rarely have any medical issues.

Naturally enough, I ended up having to spend 3 days and 2 nights in hospital with a matter of months.

Total cost to me: €0.

Not sure what extra I'd be getting with a more expensive plan but what I have has catered for me thus far.

They have some wheeze now where if you try to go to a better plan you can't get fully covered for a number of years.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/cheap-health-insurance-can-hang-you-out-to-dry-30728924.html

OP Did you choose a plan yet ? In same boat.

No decided yet dolly, emailed my firm, Laya, about what alternatives they could offer me, very hard to know really, probably need to see exactly what I'm covered for and whether I need it all ? :)

Is there alternatives to a regular plan, if say I just want security if I get cancer or have a heart attack/stroke?

• Advertisement

Is there alternatives to a regular plan, if say I just want security if I get cancer or have a heart attack/stroke?

They have a pretty big range of plans so they don't do bespoke plans, AFAIK. Best bet is to ring and see what options there are.

Though if you get cancer and you're terminally ill, you get a medical card. That's the HSE-provided silver lining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Last time I rang she went through a load of questions with me like would I like this cover or that cover, so that way we filtered out which would be the best

So you should ring up i think

if you get cancer and you're terminally ill, you get a medical card
    True, but I hope to be looked after before then.

What reason is there to get private Health Insurance, other than better cancer/cardiac/stroke care?...which presumably is that bit better with insurance? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

Like an earlier poster I'm switching from First Plan Plus to the One Plan with VHI which is around the 1k mark. Still pretty steep.

Also be sure to sign up for the big switch campaign. I'm hoping they manage to sort out a good deal and will probably switch to it once I've double checked all the conditions.
    https://www.onebigswitch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

What reason is there to get private Health Insurance, other than better cancer/cardiac/stroke care?...which presumably is that bit better with insurance? ...

To be honest- with cancer, cardiac, and stroke care, I don't think there's much better cover with health insurance. If you go to a&e with chest pain, you'll get treatment regardless of having health insurance or not. Same for stroke. And defo for cancer. In fact, in a fair few cases, I've seen people with medical cards better off than those without.
    It's actually for the other stuff I'd be holding on to my health insurance. Elective procedures, access to consultants. Things that "can wait" in the eyes of the public system, but maybe not from your perspective.

It covers costs you'd otherwise have to pay yourself.

My Dad dropped his cover from what was the old Plan B Options, which would have been about €2,200 or so to a plan that was about 1k because he's always been in really good health.

But then he needed a few consultant visits, an endoscopy and finally a gall bladder removal.

Because of his insurance the total cost to him was €150. With no cover it would have been 2-3k, I think.

You can pay big for plans that cover all sorts but you have to weigh up the likelihood of encountering certain problems with the cost of the extra bit of cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scalp

At the very least ask your current provider for it's "equivalent corporate plan". You will get the exact same cover as the one you are on and it should be cheaper but if you dont ask you wont get. Ask as well for any current special offers etc they sometimes have them for specific times or customers they are targeting and again you kinda need to be in the know. Threaten that you are moving or cancelling. Your current level seems quite high so there should be plenty of room for manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 martiga

I joined Laya healthcare flex 250 explore, very reasonable and good cover

Hope that helps

Also for high cover I was on Laya healthcare total health select plan, it's a coperate plan but avail to anyone
    Find it very good
    No avail to buy online you need to call Laya
    Hope that helps

thanks, will check that out Martiga, shocked at a bill for E1711, with Laya, which arrived in the post. People marched over water charges, this is larger than all other utilities combined and frankly a scandal.....

• Advertisement

Martiga, have taken a look at your recommendation, mind if I ask approximately what this costs ? thanks, Sarah

thanks, will check that out Martiga, shocked at a bill for E1711, with Laya, which arrived in the post. People marched over water charges, this is larger than all other utilities combined and frankly a scandal.....

Health insurance and water charges are hardly comparable, to be fair.

Martiga, have taken a look at your recommendation, mind if I ask approximately what this costs ? thanks, Sarah

Sorry my error

Flex 250 explore is 804 per adult per year,

Let me know if you need anymore info

Hi
    It's 804 euro per year for flex 250 explore

Thanks Martiga, have emailed them and done my own search. It provides cover for cancer/cardiac care? in a private hospital subject to a small excess?.

And if I wanted to upgrade to a better plan in the future, will I be penalised for dropping down for now?.

Also one option is cover while abroad. What would happen if I was in Spain or England or Belgium and took ill unexpectedly? .

Thanks

S

Update, here is the plan given by Martiga, http://www.layahealthcare.ie/media/site/pdfs/Flex250Explore.pdf

questions -what does shortfall refer to and where are the 3 /6 centres for Mammogram and Dexa scans ? I suppose I should email them again?

and they've quoted me at E1272, for this plan. you said just E804 Martiga, any ideas why there is such a discrepancy?

This is the link they provided, http://www.layahealthcare.ie/productsandservices/ is that what your on Martiga?

Thanks
    S

Martiga asked for a corporate plan. It won't be listed on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

If you have a heart attack or stroke then you will get exactly the same care from exactly the same doctors without having any health insurance

Cancer is different - if you have a suspect cancer and need a scan then you will get it sooner with health ibsurance,however if you make enough noise and demands then you will be moved to the emergency queue anyway even without insurance.

I wouldn't pay for this except I get it free via work

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Just want to give a bit of a warning re: my experience of health insurance earlier this year.

I'm on one of the lower plans which includes cover for procedures in a public hospital (not the private hospitals). I was on the understanding (and the insurance company said so) that this meant I was considered a private patient as I have insurance, and could therefore bypass the public waiting list (which is the reason a lot if people have insurance...no?)

Anyway, insurance company said "yes yes, you're covered for X procedure, with Y consultant, in Z hospital".
    When I then contacted consultant I was asked if I was private patient, I said yes. They (about 2 weeks later) offered me an appointment in private hospital - I explained and said no, I don't have cover for private hospitals. They then said that unless I have FULL cover I am a public patient and must go on public waiting list.

I was a bit confused, and rang back insurance company to explain. They said that no, I am a private patient who should not have to go on public waiting list. They said to try another consultant in the same hospital, which I did. This consultant's office reiterated that private waiting lists to not operate in public hospitals.

I then spoke to someone in the general unit in the hospital to clarify this, and they said that was true. And to their knowledge, none of the public hospitals operate with consultants' private waiting lists. The days that consultants are working in public hospitals, they are there to deal with the public waiting list patients.

Anyway, just be careful if you're going for one of the lower plans. This was just my experience, and maybe there are exceptions, but in this case my insurance was absolutely useless.*

The insurance company told me one thing, but the reality was *completely* different. I was lucky as it wasn't a complete emergency, but for anyone worried about a cancer diagnosis or something, it would have been incredibly stressful.

As it turned out I only had to wait a month or so and was called in at short notice for the procedure as part of a med student training day, but otherwise it would've been around a six-month wait.

(*as I was now a public patient all it would have covered was the €75 day charge)

• Advertisement

thanks Candlewax, sorry to hear of your experience, that's very disturbing.... :(

Advertisement