Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Tripwire facebook says
    "
    http://www.killingfloorthegame/
    http://www.redorchestragame.com/

We are pleased to announce that Killing Floor and Red Orchestra: Ostfront are now Steam Linux titles available in the Steam beta. Those in the beta just need to download the titles and provide us feedback and bugs.

"

posted less than 1 minute ago
    Steam for Linux client has been updated
    posted by Frank @ 06:33PM on November 12, 2012
    A new version of the Steam for Linux client was released last Friday.
    Your Steam client will update automatically. If you wish to force the update, click Check for Steam Client Updates... from the top-level Steam menu.

Talk about a quick game.
    Log straight into steam big picture mode.

This 3rd Party 'hack' Is a great idea. It something that valve could look into developing ( Obviously easily enough if somebody made it in a week)

It really gives Linux gaming the edge to be able to do this.
    If you done this on mac , they probably have you in court :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

bpb101 wrote: »
    Talk about a quick game.
    Log straight into steam big picture mode.

This 3rd Party 'hack' Is a great idea. It something that valve could look into developing ( Obviously easily enough if somebody made it in a week)

It really gives Linux gaming the edge to be able to do this.
    If you done this on mac , they probably have you in court :D

As soon as I saw the big picture mode, all I could think was that it was a start towards a simple WM replacement similar to how you can launch directly into XBMC. It might possibly even be a step towards Valve trying out a dedicated linux gaming console

Actually that would be pretty cool, a dedicated gaming PC \ Console where you have the choice to login to either steam for games or XMBC for other media :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

matrim wrote: »
    Actually that would be pretty cool, a dedicated gaming PC \ Console where you have the choice to login to either steam for games or XMBC for other media :D

As long as they keep it more simple than the PS3 menu.

Damn it Sony, if I am turning the PS3 on I want to play a game, why do you make me scroll around to reach the game? :(

• Advertisement

Cliste wrote: »
    As long as they keep it more simple than the PS3 menu.

Damn it Sony, if I am turning the PS3 on I want to play a game, why do you make me scroll around to reach the game? :(

If you are on the beta - if you click the big picture button it should display what you get if.
    The difference between steam and playstation is you can only play 1 game ( real game- forget about the downloaded ones for a free euros). that game is on the disc. Your dead right though pointless scrolling to find a game on the ps3
    I Think your library appears when You sign into it.

anynody who has bought the humble bundle , just for the crack of it , get's 5 free games
    you who didn't - for shame. You Can still get the 'new' games but you gotta pay more the average.

Now , 4 games you set the price for but if you want the rest, you got to pay more than the average (6 games cost more than the adverage) - not really setting your own price anymore are we?

anyways - http://www.humblebundle.com/ More games are a waiting

posted less than 2 minutes ago

How's it going?
    posted by Frank @ 10:13PM on November 15, 2012
    ]It's been a little over a week since we kicked off the beta, and we're happy to report that it's going well.

The Steam for Linux team and our game developer partners have been keeping a close eye on the discussions here. Participants' feedback has been really helpful – keep it coming! The bugs reported in our [url=https://steamcommunity.com/login/home/?goto=app/221410/discussions/1/
    ]sub-forum[/url] for beta participants have led us to focus recent work on the following areas:
    • UI inconsistencies
    • Graphics drivers, both open source and proprietary
    • Steam store configuration tweaks
    • General stability

For those readers who want to know more about the technical details of the limited beta, we've added read-only access (to all group members) to the Limited Beta sub-forum. This is a forum we've been using for bug tracking and we've gotten great response so far.

Although we're primarily targeting Ubuntu 12.04, we also have testers using Steam for Linux on a variety of other distributions such as Arch Linux and Debian, with more to come.

Our beta remains small at this point due to stability issues. That said, recent incremental improvements in our client's stability have enabled us to invite 500 more survey respondents to the beta this week. Next week, Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) participants will start joining the program and testing the client too. We're thrilled to see so many Steam users excited to join in and help out. We're working furiously to further improve stability and support for more participants. Stay tuned, as we’ll continue broadening beta access over the coming weeks.[/LEFT]

posted less than 20 minutes ago - I know , im getting slower
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/the-great-winter-migration/
    It is unusual for penguins to migrate but our penguins are a bit different; perhaps it has something to do with the heat? In any event, the Steam for Linux limited beta began in early November with the initial group taken from respondents to the Steam for Linux beta survey. We are adding more participants on a regular basis so if you haven’t filled out the survey, you can find it here.
    In order to support the large interest around the limited beta, we’ve created a new Steam for Linux Hub and “migrated” our information and support over. It offers all the features of a Steam Game Hub, so you’ll be able to keep tabs on Linux announcements, discussions and news. Join the official group and you’ll even see our announcements in your community activity feed.
    Future plans for the blog are to be determined but for now you can find all the latest info at the Steam for Linux hub:
    http://steamcommunity.com/linux .
    See you there!
    - the Valve Linux team

I just got an email "Welcome to the "Steamlinuxbeta" mailing list". Everything looks official on it. Does this mean that I'm now officially part of the beta?

When I opened steam it auto-updated but there was no indication that I'm now part of the beta that I can see.

• Advertisement

I just got an email "Welcome to the "Steamlinuxbeta" mailing list". Everything looks official on it. Does this mean that I'm now officially part of the beta?

When I opened steam it auto-updated but there was no indication that I'm now part of the beta that I can see.
    i asked an associate of mine who said yes that this means you are on the beta . There is such a thing as "steamlinuxbeta mailing list " - congrats

Limited Beta Expansion
    posted by Frank @ 07:14PM on November 21, 2012
    We're making good progress finding and fixing issues that our users have reported so we're expanding the beta by 5000 before the long holiday (US) weekend kicks in. New limited beta testers will have an email notification in their inbox.

Have a great weekend everyone!

less than 30 sec ago- getting faster

And my invite coincides with a steam sale. Interesting :D

the best email arrived in my inbox today
    chuffed so i was

230796.png

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/05/serious-sam-3-developer-speaks-out-against-windows-8/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Serious sam 3 developers speaks out about windows 8 - Can anybody guess of how much of a fan he is? ( The answer is not much)

A bit of good news. Portal 1 may be coming to linux.

As you know , on thursday i was granted access to the offical beta. And as a result serious sam 3 arrived into my libary.(under Linux games)
    Yesterday Portal was given to me. However it did not appear on my linux list.
    I Asked a windows friend did he get it and he didn't. There was a guy on the steam linux beta chat on steam that said other official betaers got it as well.

Why would they give a windows game to a linux user? Well, I doubt its to encourage linux users to play on windows...

A bit of good news. Portal 1 may be coming to linux.

As you know , on thursday i was granted access to the offical beta. And as a result serious sam 3 arrived into my libary.(under Linux games)
    Yesterday Portal was given to me. However it did not appear on my linux list.
    I Asked a windows friend did he get it and he didn't. There was a guy on the steam linux beta chat on steam that said other official betaers got it as well.

Why would they give a windows game to a linux user? Well, I doubt its to encourage linux users to play on windows...

I'll have to check if I got portal tomorrow. Haven't logged into Windows in a few days to check.

One thing is that it's very awkward to raise bugs. Trying to find if something is raised to +1 it is hard and annoying. And I don't want to start a new thread for something small that is likely to have already been raised

I'll have to check if I got portal tomorrow. Haven't logged into Windows in a few days to check.

One thing is that it's very awkward to raise bugs. Trying to find if something is raised to +1 it is hard and annoying. And I don't want to start a new thread for something small that is likely to have already been raised
    Try searching key words into the search bar on the search of the discussions. Only problem i find is i searches with the general discussions. I sent in a bug report about when Alt+ tab is clicked. The steam icon is very blury. I got 1 person that said "indeed" but no official acknowledgment.

Please post when you check , it will be very interesting to see if you got it too

Try searching key words into the search bar on the search of the discussions. Only problem i find is i searches with the general discussions. I sent in a bug report about when Alt+ tab is clicked. The steam icon is very blury. I got 1 person that said "indeed" but no official acknowledgment.

Please post when you check , it will be very interesting to see if you got it too

I've tried searching but as you mention it shows the General Discussion posts aswell and I didn't find the search great.

I've tried searching but as you mention it shows the General Discussion posts aswell and I didn't find the search great.
    did you find portal in your library

• Advertisement

On a disscusion , to which frank (basicly valve linux news updateor and general hero )

frank quoted "the only reason Portal was mentioned [in the Download link on Email with key( uds people got a key instead of steamlinuxbeta being registered to their account)] was due to a requirement we had when creating the limited beta keys. It [portal] has not been ported to Ubuntu 12.04 at this time."

However... "Not at this time" and the fact that it was still given to beters suggest that it will be ported or is in the process of begin ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Port Portal 2!!! I bought it in the autumn sale. :v

Portal is showing in my Windows install as being part of my library and I'm pretty sure I didn't have it before

shizz wrote: »
    Port Portal 2!!! I bought it in the autumn sale. :v

Dont be telling me , i would if i could :(

Hopefully we will get some more news about for left for dead 2 soon.
    hopefully , source 2 will have full linux support.

Serious Sam3 is no longer free for the linux beta users :(

Just as I was getting into it

Serious Sam3 is no longer free for the linux beta users :(

Just as I was getting into it
    so we beta test there game and thats how they repay us...ba****

update
    sorry for my slow update time of a half an hour and a bit
    for some reason i cant post so here the gist

http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1749910796493493022
    (could mange to copy and paste a link)

Large beta expansion - check your emails

forums divided into valve games non valve games + graphics cards

everybody great but stop repeating bugs, just add comments

ss3 is over for beaters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Go to sign up for the mailing list just to see if i can. Check my inbox to get the initial email and see one from two o'clock this morning saying I'm on the mailing list and in the beta. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bah.. got the invite but haven't been able to get it working on my 64bit Linux Mint 12 install :(

Advertisement