Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai should lead by example

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    Tigger wrote: »
    this is crazy

report him for what
    arguing with people online?

If he were arguing with a modicum of good sense and respect, I'd have no problem. He's incitefull, disrespectfull, paranoid, prejudice and he claims to be a member of An Garda Síochána. If anyone can't stand that others have contrary opinions to their own, out of the two of us, it's hardly me. It's not his stand on driving that has me aghast, it's his attitude and conduct. The guy is so hatefull and angry, I for one wouldn't trust him to investigate his way out of a paper bag without abusing his authority.
    Bosco boy wrote: »
    "You are starting a Garda bashing thread but you haven't got the guts to admit it. I hate whingers and you sir are a whinger"

"The driving sounds to me like progressive driving which is part of the advanced driving course but you wouldn't understand. Get a life and move on!"

"yes, what do you work at? I may have a few thoughts on how perfect your profession is."

"well it didn't take long to surface - private sector v public sector. "Every post is based on pure speculation, these threads are so full of whingers who jump to conclusions. The same people will whinge when they call the gardai and they don't arrive immediately."

"The majority of the public I deal with are 100% but there are some prize tits out there with grievences and convictions and many thrive on these forums. People like the op should make a complaint of dangerous driving to the ombudsman, if they don't they defeat their arguement, as they say "**** or get off the pot!"

"maybe boards should ban everyone who disagrees with you? Why not start with me. It would be more in your line to report the dangerous driving you complain off rather that a poster on boards.ie you cannot argue with, grow up!"

How by any stretch of the imagination is it ok for a member of our police force to spout such bile...? I seriously doubt he is and I really hope he isn't.

would it bother you even more if I said I came from a working class background

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MugMugs wrote: »
    Because its ALWAYS Garda Bashing.
    It's not Garda bashing, it's criticizing the behaviour of certain Gardaí in a particular area only.
    If I was caught for speeding I'd accept it, how's that relevant dude?
    Because you're making excuses rather than looking at the issue at hand.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

would it bother you even more if I said I came from a working class background

Wow, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response, I try to make it a habit to not feed trolls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

well it didn't take long to surface - private sector v public sector. No one on this forum knows what call the driver was on their way to.

I don't give a flying sh*t if someone is public or private sector. Everyone should be responsible for their actions. If
    ****ANYONE****
    fcuks up they should be pulled over, I don't care if it's a Gard, a factory worker, the binman
    or the Wizard of bloody Oz.
    But:
    He is entitled to drive in Bus Lanes. He is entitled to drive as he see fits. in fact, if he wants to stop at a red light with the twos and blues going then he can do that too.
    !

Just says to me "We Can Do What We Want!"
    No, you bloody can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Does anyone know the regs about a garda vehicle van driving down a pedestrianised street? Saw a paddy wagon driving down winthrops street, cork earlier. Maybe zicos or McDonalds had a sale on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Does anyone know the regs about a garda vehicle van driving down a pedestrianised street? Saw a paddy wagon driving down winthrops street, cork earlier. Maybe zicos or McDonalds had a sale on

I've seen a lot of vans do this - not just Gardaí. This would leave me to assume Withrop St is pedestrianised but with a fair few exemptions. I think as long as they are going slowly ( possibly they are on the look out for someone or on patrol) thats grand. In fact, I think it is a positive thing as it gives warning to anyone thinking of kicking off that the Gardaí are on the spot. If they were haring down putting pedestrians at risk that would be another matter...I have Never seen this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Does anyone know the regs about a garda vehicle van driving down a pedestrianised street?

be careful how you react it can have serious consiquences

..........The majority of the public I deal with are 100% but there are some prize tits out there with grievences and convictions and many thrive on these forums. ...........

That's really ironic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Another Boy Racer Rant.

Those nasty gardai won't let me drive like a spoilt child on the public roads

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

crying-baby-photo.jpg

In the interest of openess, besides Bosco boy, who else claims to be a Gard?

• Advertisement

Hiace. wrote: »
    Another Boy Racer Rant..........

Hardly, SaabEd is a respected contributor to the motors forum for years, at no time has he ever come across as a boy racer. You could at least find a funny pic to suit the thread rather than trying to make the thread suit the pic you have ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Hardly, SaabEd is a respected contributor to the motors forum for years,

Hmm so that could make him about 23 then :rolleyes:
    Also there is always a few mid life crisis boy racers about.

Regardless of the chaps age he has never come across as a boy racer.
    Are you a Garda yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Just says to me "We Can Do What We Want!"
    No, you bloody can't.

Like I already said. How can they police the local area while sitting in traffic? They can't. They use Bus lanes to get about. What's the problem?

Regardless of the chaps age he has never come across as a boy racer.
    Are you a Garda yourself?

I don't know if the guy is a boy racer or not, but most people crying about the Gardai on the motoring forum generally are, or have some other grudge.

As for being a cop, they'd never let me join with the Hiace and I'd never join without it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Like I already said. How can they police the local area while sitting in traffic? They can't. They use Bus lanes to get about. What's the problem?

I have often seen them turning their lights on to skip traffic lights and then pull up for chips. That is wrong but Gards do a good job otherwise.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Gardaí breaking the ROTR in the course of their duties - we all know that this is allowed, and with good reason. The issue here is simple bad driving, ie inconveniencing/endangering other road users without good reason. Why can't we address this issue, without constantly trying to wander off on tangents and attack the motives of people asking a perfectly reasonable question?

Hootanany wrote: »
    I have often seen them turning their lights on to skip traffic lights and then pull up for chips. That is wrong but Gards do a good job otherwise.

Not if you're hungry after doing an 8 hour shift listening to aholes and their crying excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

DElighted to here it, I wonder why he flashed his badge though ;)

trying to get off

wheb i get pulled i try to get off too who dosen't

I don't know if the guy is a boy racer or not, but most people crying about the Gardai on the motoring forum generally are, or have some other grudge................

So they could never have a genuine issue with the Gardai actually driving like muppets on the road?

• Advertisement

I don't know if the guy is a boy racer or not, but most people crying about the Gardai on the motoring forum generally are, or have some other grudge.
    Bollocks. I'm a (fairly) mature citizen, and I have the highest of respect for the Gardaí. IMO Saab Ed raised a fair point, and no amount of mud-slinging is going make his point go away.

Stop ignoring the original post.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    the driver of a garda jeep who pretty much did what he wanted while also towing a trailer. There was driving in bus lane, cutting into lanes, hard shoulder a Blanchardstown was the best one.

A jeep towing a trailer in and out of the hardshoulder and buslane. If you can't see a problem with that, you're not fit to be on the road in the first place. I'd swear this thread is full of trolls. What is it about some people that they derive joy out of irking people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

People shouldn't be so easily led.

Stop ignoring the original post.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    the driver of a garda jeep who pretty much did what he wanted while also towing a trailer. There was driving in bus lane, cutting into lanes, hard shoulder a Blanchardstown was the best one.

A jeep towing a trailer in and out of the hardshoulder and buslane. If you can't see a problem with that, you're not fit to be on the road in the first place. I'd swear this thread is full of trolls. What is it about some people that they derive joy out of irking people?
    Eh, OP says that he was in and out of bus lanes? How's that off topic? It's on topic of the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If you can't attack the post attack the poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL, I just had the pleasure of watching a Garda speed through a roundabout, understeer massively and nearly hit the curb, all whilst on the phone :P

Eh, OP says that he was in and out of bus lanes? How's that off topic? It's on topic of the original post.

I swear some people are a waste of good oxygen. What on earth do they think that stuff between their ears is for...? Are you intentionally playing stupid or do you really fail to see the problem with weaving in and out of traffic to buslanes and the hardshoulder whilst driver a jeep towing a trailer. Do I really have to point out to you that it's not the use of buslanes that's the OP's problem but the manner in which the jeep driver was doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Not if you're hungry after doing an 8 hour shift listening to aholes and their crying excuses.

But that is wrong I have to obey the law after my 12 hour shift why is it different for you.

I swear some people are a waste of good oxygen. What on earth do they think that stuff between their ears is for...? Are you intentionally playing stupid or do you really fail to see the problem with weaving in and out of traffic to buslanes and the hardshoulder whilst driver a jeep towing a trailer. Do I really have to point out to you that it's not the use of buslanes that's the OP's problem but the manner in which the jeep driver was doing it?

The OP is making allegations without being able to substantiate them. His observation of weaving bus lanes may well have been very safe but he took exception to it. Only he and that Garda actually know for sure.

Refrain from implicating insults at me too, its not very smart and I don't care for it.

• Advertisement

The OP is making allegations without being able to substantiate them. His observation of weaving bus lanes may well have been very safe but he took exception to it. Only he and that Garda actually know for sure.
    Let's step back from any particular incident for a minute. Can we all agree that some Gardaí do abuse their exemption from the ROTR without justification? Assuming that we can, could we address that issue? Pretty please?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement