Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Irish Shore Dives

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all,
    We are looking to compile a list and short description of the best shore dives in Ireland - possibility of putting together a proper website on these when we are finished with maps and photo's etc. We are always being asked and visitors don't always like paying for boat dives so this is a start. If you have a favorite shore dive please list it here. We will do our best to put together a proper description on how to get there, things to know, what you will see and photos etc.

Cheers for your help.

Regards
    Colin Mcbride
    www.first4scuba.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Hi there
    Do you charge for shore dives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

Hi there
    Do you charge for shore dives?

Hi, No of course not. This is just to be able to give customers advice on the best places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

The lighthouse at John Point in Donegal is the best for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

You cant beat the alastor in strangford lough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

The Hook must be included in every list!

Greystones is good too, if you live nearby and want to enjoy a good dive. Wheather permitting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

Scania wrote: »

Greystones is good too, if you live nearby and want to enjoy a good dive. Wheather permitting!

Is it the cove in Greystones you are talking about? It is quite shallow there isn't it? I've only ever managed to get a few meters there or is there somewhere better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

Greystones diving is either from the steps below Carrig Eden (La Touche cove) to the Men's. Take a 120 degree course and you will come to the reef after 5 to 10 minutes.
    Starting from the Men's take a 30 degree course.
    Alternativly just follow the shoreline until you see the seaweeds heading out to see.
    You will get approx. 9 meters. On a south going tide you must keep an eye on your depth-gage. If you hit 9 meters on sand take a 270 degree course or you will end up in Wales.

There is plenty of wildlife. If you are fond of dogfish this is your place.

The harbour wall used to be great for lobsters and perhaps when the new harbour is ready it will once again be a good dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Emmett6661

Ive a habit of dragging up old threads on my searches...sorry :P But I had to add Nohoval Cove in Cork to the list, easily my favourite site so far, huge amount of life, mainly pollock and wrasse but a good few dogfish, some conger eels, seen a couple of flatfish, a good few spidercrabs, some gray seals, sand eels. Its very sheltered too, not many people around. Had vis + of the 10m mark down there back in august. Besides that, fenit island in kerrys not bad, bit tidal though, Myrtleville in corks a nice dive spot around the rocks off to the right of the beach, oysterhavens ok too! lot of kelp beds with smaller life in them. Plenty of crabs. Have yet to find a favourite spot in Dublin where I live havent had much of a chance to dive around here so any suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

South west Ireland has great dive sites, generally brilliant visibility, but if I was to name one, Toor Pier of Schull (near Baltimore). Set straight into 10m surrounded by life.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Is the water not too cold to be diving off the coast of Ireland?
    Is it dry-suit territory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

mcgragger wrote: »
    Is the water not too cold to be diving off the coast of Ireland?
    Is it dry-suit territory?

There is excellent diving to be found off the coast of ireland.

You can comfortably dive in Irish waters in a good wetsuit especially in the summer and early autumn. I have dived in February in a wetsuit (OK I did find that a bit chilly but possible).

Most regular divers do choose to make the investment in a drysuit, after a while, as you can then dive year round in more comfort. I actually find the fact that you are dry post dive to be the biggest benefit of a drysuit.

If you have dived abroad or are interested in trying scuba diving you should definitely give it a go here. If you don't you are missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

I've done open water course in Thailand and Vietnam and Bali.
    Id say about 10 hours over 12 dives so not a total novice but far from a pro.
    Really enjoyed it.

I've been considering taking it up here but wondered if it was just too cold.
    I have wet suits but don't think I'd have the time to do it as much as I like to justify an investment in a dry suit.

Any decent clubs for my level around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Emmett6661

I typically use a 6mm semi dry with a hood and have even done dives during the winter but just spent less time in the water. I've used a 3mm wetsuit with no hood in the peak of the summer. During summer and early autumn the diving can be great and the 6mm allows me 2 hour dives. I'm looking to trade up for a 5mm apnea suit though, the semi dry is quite buoyant and I freedive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

mcgragger wrote: »
    I've done open water course in Thailand and Vietnam and Bali.
    Id say about 10 hours over 12 dives so not a total novice but far from a pro.
    Really enjoyed it.

I've been considering taking it up here but wondered if it was just too cold.
    I have wet suits but don't think I'd have the time to do it as much as I like to justify an investment in a dry suit.

Any decent clubs for my level around Dublin?

there are 80 clubs across ireland , and yes, a good portion of them are in dublin. just have look at www.diving.ie all clubs listed there. you are also welcome to try a club out as a guest for a couple dives and still be insured thru them before you commit.

i had a dive last weekend in a wetsuit while my dry suit was in the tailors. 40 minutes at 10 degrees, i didnt feel the cold at all tbh.

was actually wearing one of these http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/beuchat-marlin-prestige-complete-7-mm/135312/p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

For stormy days,
    Massmount in mulroy bay, Donegal is diveable at all times, well sheltered, have dived it in storm force conditions,
    Up to 45 Mtrs depth if you need it but dark at those depts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scuba_nick

torydiver wrote: »
    For stormy days,
    Massmount in mulroy bay, Donegal is diveable at all times, well sheltered, have dived it in storm force conditions,
    Up to 45 Mtrs depth if you need it but dark at those depts.

Can you explain how to find this dive site and where to park the car? I've tried a couple of times but wasn't sure where it was exactly. Is it near the church at the side of the road?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aoife_charles

Scania wrote: »

Can I get more information about The Hook? I am currently in the position of orgnaising a trip in Ireland without a boat so this forum has been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Can I get more information about The Hook? I am currently in the position of orgnaising a trip in Ireland without a boat so this forum has been great!

This should help: http://hooksubaqua.com/?page_id=17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

banjopaul wrote: »

Good plan. I had a great weekend with help from the guys at Hook leading a shore dive at Churchtown (west side of the hook). Last year I got Solomons Hole and the one under the lighthouse.... but still going back for "the bathtub".

Advertisement