Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dyslexia causing me problems.

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

I've been in my current job, in a big-ish company for about two years - the roll has changed a bit since i started and it means that i spend most of my time writing up documentation.
    Because I'm dyslexic i just don't see a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes when i'm writing my documents.

Recently i've been getting a lot of hassle about it - i never mentioned my dyslexia when applying for the job, didn't think i needed to because the job i applied for didn't involve a lot of writing.

Basically i don't want to be annoying people with my poor grammar and spelling and i'm really sick of being patronised and told to go correct the grammar in my document (because it feels like asking a colour blind person to pick out the red skittles).

So what what am i supposed to do? - i feel like just quitting the job at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Use spell-check? Not perfect, but should at least give some improvements.

Have you told your boss that you're dyslexic?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Spell checker can only does so much - i appear to get plurals mixed up quite a lot. Sometimes sentences i write have missing words or words in the wrong order so it's hard to catch.

Haven't ever told any boss i've had that i'm dyslexic - it's never been a problem before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

There are educational technologies available specific for spell-checking / dyslexia.

I'd say using some speech-to-text software might help. Sometimes when I hear stuff out loud it makes more sense than the written text.

Balabolka.

If you want to try some speech to text programs too (Nuance Dragon being the most popular..but it's ~99e for the basic version). Windows 7 has built-in speech recognition if you want to try that?

Ginger spell checker is a useful tool too.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ is great too for structure.

Hope these help.

There are educational technologies available specific for spell-checking / dyslexia.

I'd say using some speech-to-text software might help. Sometimes when I hear stuff out loud it makes more sense than the written text.

Balabolka.

If you want to try some speech to text programs too (Nuance Dragon being the most popular..but it's ~99e for the basic version). Windows 7 has built-in speech recognition if you want to try that?

Ginger spell checker is a useful tool too.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/ is great too for structure.

Hope these help.

Thanks a lot i'll look into that spell checker stuff - the speech-to-text stuff probably won't work - i work in a busy office and can't really be reading out my stuff constantly. Also the documents can be quite technical, with uncommon vocabulary.

So, should i just keep my Dyslexia to myself and just try to brush off the occasional and very annoying complaints about my grammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Haven't ever told any boss i've had that i'm dyslexic - it's never been a problem before now.
    Then that would be your first step. Maybe there's someone more suitable on the team to do the writing, and you're more suited in another area. You might as well be assigned to do heavy-lifting, while hiding the fact that you have a sprained wrist.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I get why you never mentioned it and if you can at all get the software help you can.
    at the end of the day you need someone to proof read your docs before they are sent, it's the only way.

If they're is someone you can talk to I would tell them, if there isn't a hr type person in the business I would try to carry on with the software as best you can.

spell check will do nothing for you as you know, also with work relate works sometimes soft ware can't keep up.

I find people think you can't write anything at all when you tell them and there it's a constant question over all your writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

So, should i just keep my Dyslexia to myself and just try to brush off the occasional and very annoying complaints about my grammer?

If I were in that position, I'd let them know about the dyslexia. They might be surprisingly understanding.

I wouldn't like to be constantly making errors in my job, and have them thinking that I was just lazy or careless. If you tell them, they might have suggestions such as reviewing your duties, maybe have someone else help you with proofreading, etc.

The Ginger grammar software seems to be catching a few more of my mistakes - which makes me happy.
    I'm thinkin' that i might try and find someone from HR and tell them that I'm dyslexic but that i'm using some software to help catch additional mistakes and if they can please ask other people to lay off the harsh comments about it.

I'm getting stuff sent replies like:

"when you mean more than one you're supposed to add and "s"!!!"
    as well as various things in bold and underlined telling me to review my grammar - it's just really disheartening. there's nothing i can do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If I were in that position, I'd let them know about the dyslexia. They might be surprisingly understanding.

I wouldn't like to be constantly making errors in my job, and have them thinking that I was just lazy or careless. If you tell them, they might have suggestions such as reviewing your duties, maybe have someone else help you with proofreading, etc.

This.

OP, if you have a disability, then your employer has to make reasonable accommodations. But they cannot do this if you don't tell them. Instead, they will just assume that you're lazy and/or stupid - and really who's to blame them.

The Ginger grammar software seems to be catching a few more of my mistakes - which makes me happy.

Yeah it's great. I think it has a 'central repository' and will learn from common mistakes made.
    I'm thinkin' that i might try and find someone from HR and tell them that I'm dyslexic but that i'm using some software to help catch additional mistakes and if they can please ask other people to lay off the harsh comments about it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you will need to go through a few tests to be "diagnosed" with dyslexia. As companies will need written proof (just red tape BS). There are varying forms ranging from basic...to not even recognising or being familiar with letter, word, sentence structure.
    I'm getting stuff sent replies like:

"when you mean more than one you're supposed to add an "s"!!!"
    as well as various things in bold and underlined telling me to review my grammar - it's just really disheartening. there's nothing i can do about it!

Are you sure this isn't nit picking on their part?!

I'd let HR know that you're having trouble / making efforts to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I feel your pain. Might not work for you but I youst to joke it off and it was all good. I suppose it depends on your work colegs ect.

Have no fear - I've been tested for dyslexia three times, Primary school, secondary school and university. I even spent a year in a school for dyslexic children when i was younger - my credentials for not being able to spell are impeccable.

Gonna give HR a mail later and sort this out. then i guess we'll see what happens.

Have no fear - I've been tested for dyslexia three times, Primary school, secondary school and university. I even spent a year in a school for dyslexic children when i was younger - my credentials for not being able to spell are impeccable.

Gonna give HR a mail later and sort this out. then i guess we'll see what happens.

Ah, my apologies! I just skimmed your original post and didn't mean to sound like I was doubting.

I'm sure HR will sort you out.

I feel your pain. Might not work for you but I youst to joke it off and it was all good. I suppose it depends on your work colegs ect.

Yeah.. some people don't mind all that much but others are just the kind of people who get very very annoyed at bad grammar - i don't blame them at all, i'd just like them to know that it's not because i'm stupid or lazy or anything - grammar is just not a club i've got in my bag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah.. some people don't mind all that much but others are just the kind of people who get very very annoyed at bad grammar - i don't blame them at all, i'd just like them to know that it's not because i'm stupid or lazy or anything - grammar is just not a club i've got in my bag.

Many people don't have that particular club and they have no excuse. Tell HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Work isn't school or boards.

At work, what you write needs to look professional, so that customers don't write you off as idiots. At work, 50% is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try changing the font. Have a read of http://opendyslexic.org

You change the font, do the report, and then change the font to New Times Roman, and send it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Change the background colours and text colour, this can also help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd let HR know that you're having trouble / making efforts to improve.
    Work isn't school or boards.

At work, what you write needs to look professional, so that customers don't write you off as idiots. At work, 50% is not acceptable.

And if it's technical documentation it pretty much needs to 100% accurate ime.

@ OP, dyslexia is classed as a disability, so much so that some professional exams I've done grant extra time in consideration. Talk to your manager/HR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd suggest telling your boss first and HR second btw. But telling them is the right move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement