Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to release tensioner on golf

• 01-06-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

So my fan belt sheared lengthways while on motorway last night. Fun times.

just picked up a new belt, wondering what I'll need to move/release the tensioner on it to fit the new one.

01 1.4 1390cc golf, no air con.

would really appreciate some advice, can't afford to get it towed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

A 16mm spanner is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

great, I'll pick that up, what do I do? loosen a nut, push, pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

zuroph wrote: »
    great, I'll pick that up, what do I do? loosen a nut, push, pull?

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

lol. so which nut? the one right in the middle of tensioner or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

As far as I know you dont loosen it as such. You use the nut on the tensioner to MOVE the tensioner back so you can slip off the belt. It just pivots on it's own mount.

Then you put on the new belt, and move the tensioner again to slip it back on.

Simples!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kencollins wrote: »
    As far as I know you dont loosen it as such. You use the nut on the tensioner to MOVE the tensioner back so you can slip off the belt. It just pivots on it's own mount.

Then you put on the new belt, and move the tensioner again to slip it back on.

Simples!

This is it, except the tensioner is spring loaded so it will need to be held back.

Just be careful when doing this. If possible get a second person to operate the tensioner while you install the belt. The "nut" that the spanner goes onto, isn't the biggest so it's easy for the spanner to slip, and this could lead the loss of a finger top if it happened at the wrong time. It's easy for someone with experience but they do slip, so a novice, going at it on his own could be dangerous.

Advertisement