Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Cut under the legs of a pylon, yer man on the mower is good at his job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Nice calves Vanderbadger. what bull are they out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

13spanner wrote: »
    Yer man on the mower is good at his job! :)

I hape he hadnt a pacemaker :D

Nice calves Vanderbadger. what bull are they out of?

just my own stock bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

couple of parthenaise calves this evening
    Fine looking calves i might try a few parths myself are you happy with them ? Do you sell them in the mart or finish them yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Top quality calves there Vander

moy83 wrote: »
    Fine looking calves i might try a few parths myself are you happy with them ? Do you sell them in the mart or finish them yourself

these are some of my first PT calves, i dont finish cattle and would be hoping to sell as weanlings, I have ch bull running with cows this year, I still have same PT bull and he was with heifers, very very easy calving. I think with the right cow he would bring grand calves, have a lot of ch cows though which may not be ideal, he would work very well with red limo cows I reckon. black cows arent a good cross either as they bring a dirty browny black color from PT bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

these are some of my first PT calves, i dont finish cattle and would be hoping to sell as weanlings, I have ch bull running with cows this year, I still have same PT bull and he was with heifers, very very easy calving. I think with the right cow he would bring grand calves, have a lot of ch cows though which may not be ideal, he would work very well with red limo cows I reckon. black cows arent a good cross either as they bring a dirty browny black color from PT bull
    Let us know how you get on at the mart with them . I am going to chance a few black cows with the parth bull i thought the browny black colour looked well . Any one else like or dislike that colour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Fine calves there, when were they born?

This is how the 2 calves I put up earlier in the thread when they were just born turned out. 1st pic is the heifer out of piemontese x cow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Set up my lamb feeder today. Should have done it ages ago but I was in two minds about what I was at this year :rolleyes: I had to add the horizontal rails to the gaps to keep the ewes out, three of them made their way in at first attempt. They can still get their heads and both front legs inside the feeder area, but when they try to shove in the horizontal boards are lower then their hips :D Going to have to watch out for lambs inside there, some training to be done with the smaller gaps.

Image0383.jpg

johnpawl wrote: »
    Fine calves there, when were they born?

bull on 19th mar , heifer on 8th if I have the right heifer

Must get a look at that bull calf again before you sell him, if possible. When you plan to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

johngalway wrote: »
    Set up my lamb feeder today......

John,
    That's some great scenery there in the background. I know they say 'You can't eat scenery', but it must be a pleasure to work in a lovely area like that.

pakalasa wrote: »
    John,
    That's some great scenery there in the background. I know they say 'You can't eat scenery', but it must be a pleasure to work in a lovely area like that.

Sure is, can see lots of interesting things as well as Aran, and Mt Brandon down in Kerry when the conditions are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

have a 1 year old pure breed lim bull that has bulled 2 cows so far want to know what ye think of him

balls pic got currupt will take a new one tomorrow

Shearing today, done about 30 of Dads. Mostly ewe hoggets, a few two year olds, a few wethers, and a ewe & lamb.

Image0385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

may calves

Do you think the PT on Ch cows wouldn't bring as good a calf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What do you do with the wool? Is there any market in Ireland for spun Irish wool for knitting.

• Advertisement

What do you do with the wool? Is there any market in Ireland for spun Irish wool for knitting.

I think it goes to make carpets. The wool on our sheep is a lot coarser than lowland breeds.

johnpawl wrote: »
    Do you think the PT on Ch cows wouldn't bring as good a calf?

ah I just think you wont bring much muscle from Ch cows as Lims but that bull calf is from a ch x sim cow

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Hi all, ive been lookin here and cant seem to be able to attach photos from my phone or wil I have to do it on computer. Thanks

weefarmer wrote: »
    Hi all, ive been lookin here and cant seem to be able to attach photos from my phone or wil I have to do it on computer. Thanks

The link below may be of help to you, bottom of the page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376129

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have a look here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

in the photo section under arts, someone might be able to help you there,

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

The link below may be of help to you, bottom of the page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055376129
    Thank you, i'll have to get one of the brothers onto it then, have some pics of a nice CH heifer we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Set up my lamb feeder today. Should have done it ages ago but I was in two minds about what I was at this year :rolleyes: I had to add the horizontal rails to the gaps to keep the ewes out, three of them made their way in at first attempt. They can still get their heads and both front legs inside the feeder area, but when they try to shove in the horizontal boards are lower then their hips :D Going to have to watch out for lambs inside there, some training to be done with the smaller gaps.

John you need to get yourself a welder.

You're doing some damm tidy woodwork there, if you could transfer those skills to an angle grinder and welder then get the stuff galvanised you'll be set for life.

Meet "Fly", we just got him today. 9 months old, knows his left from his right (always useful in a dog), comes back when asked :D Seen him work for the previous owner and he looks like he'll make a good working dog. He's a bit on the thin side so we'll need to address that and by the looks of him he's been in the odd scrap or two, he was with other dogs so it's to be expected I guess. Have had him out for a while and around the house, seems to have a lovely temperament about him. Mother is a collie and Dad is a Kelpie, both working dogs also.

Image0388.jpg

Thanks JB, very kind of you to say so. Funny enough but I was talking with herself about learning to weld a couple of months back. Really would need a decent shed to practice in I imagine. Was reading on BFF a perfectly flat floor is a great aid in that pursuit. I done metal work in school and ended up making everything out of wood, ironic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

A level smooth floor is worth the world for fabrication alright, but it depends on the size of the stuff you're making.

You could make a good solid, level bench fairly handy too.

but yeah a shed is probably the most important starting point.

If you can tolerate the looks then a 20 foot container would make a nice secure starting point, just buy a set of earmuffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement