Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOMDAS or BODMAS?

• 28-04-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I was always taught BOMDAS, however I've just been told that the order actually has division first...

Any help on this is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

I was always taught BOMDAS, however I've just been told that the order actually has division first...

I've always been told that its BOMDAS, so multiply before division.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

In primary and secondary school we were taught BOMDAS but when I went to college the lecturers said BODMAS was the only way and asked us where we got the BOMDAS system from.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

A good friend of mine told me she's always been taught BODMAS, and if you google bomdas it automatically corrects it to bodmas.

Although other people are saying it doesn't make a difference, but that's hardly true, is it?

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Multiplication and division have equal precedence, do them in the order from left to right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We were always told BOMDAS but that multiplication and division were considered equal and were done left to right. Same with addition and subtraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

BOMDAS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

Ahhh okay so I think I remember now about doing the equation left to right on multiplication-division and addition-subtraction. :D

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you scroll down to the heading "mnemonics" in the link RHRN gave, you'll see that it doesn't matter whether you say BOMDAS or BODMAS, because, either way, it is crucial to understand that multiplication and division have equal precedence, just as addition and subtraction have equal precedence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

BOMDAS 4 Life. :)

Taught that in Primary and secondary. In college though we were told that just to do multiplication and division from left to right, so either BOMDAS or BODMAS are right imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Could anybody give a better example than 6÷2(1+2)=?, a serious one,
    that will convince me to even use my brain to decipher what each of
    those capital letters stands for (I know b is Brackets & I don't want to
    know the rest unless there's a good example why I should).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I was taught it as BOMDAS, although it can also be BODMAS, BIMDAS, BIDMAS, PEMDAS, PEDMAS and so on.

Brackets (or Parentheses), Of (or Indices or Exponents), Division and Multiplication (equal precedence, work from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (equal precedence, work from left to right)

But I think BoPOoIoEDaMepwfltrAaSepwltr is a bit of a mouthful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If this descends into rubbish like the other thread it'll be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

It doesn't matter. If there's ever any ambiguity (as in the threat that must not be named), then whoever wrote down the expression screwed up.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    To be honest, you hadn't got much of a reason to close the other thread...

As I explained to by PM, complain to someone if you don't like it. Complain here once more and you'll be banned.

As I explained to by PM, complain to someone if you don't like it. Complain here once more and you'll be banned.
    Oh, so I can be banned for making a complaint? That doesn't sound right.

No, you can be banned for not following the instructions of a moderator on thread. You're now banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I like the look of BED MAS

I would BED your MA, and your mate's MA, and all of your MAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

Yeah the other thread didn't need to be locked, and I don't need to be banned but you'll do it anyway. Maybe it's time to call it a day on the moderating job?

I can't remember which I was taught in school. I never really refer to it because it comes naturally.. or so I thought - but I came up with 1 as the answer for the other thread.

It's never been a problem though since I never deal with ambiguous terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement