Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due May 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Wittyname don't stress too much about dos and donts or take food lists too seriously, and make sure you are reading European ones not crazy over cautious American ones. Very few activities or foods are bad for you or completely off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

I'm using this page for foods - I trust the NHS and decided to pick one list and stick to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

I'm using this page for foods - I trust the NHS and decided to pick one list and stick to it!

Thanks for that! And thanks for the advice spottybananas.
    Worryingly I've consumed some of the items on that list in the past week - some of the cheeses it lists, runny eggs and undercooked beef.
    I will be avoiding them from now on though, and hoping there will be no issues from consuming them recently.

WittyName1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! And thanks for the advice spottybananas.
    Worryingly I've consumed some of the items on that list in the past week - some of the cheeses it lists, runny eggs and undercooked beef.
    I will be avoiding them from now on though, and hoping there will be no issues from consuming them recently.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it - so many people don't even know they're pregnant yet at 4 weeks so are drinking, eating all sorts and taking medication that's not recommended in pregnancy and go on to have perfectly happy healthy babies

The fact that a friend of mine was 4 months pregnant before she realised/accepted it and partied, drank a crazy amount, smoked, probably took drugs, slept around and ate all manner of sh!te and now has a perfectly healthy 8 year old makes me less inclined to worry about a runny egg, rare glass of wine or a few minutes in a hot tub :)

Wittyname at this early stage the embryo is sustained by the yolk sac, theres no connection to you like the placenta or cord like there will be later on, so there is little risk. The week before I found out I hilariously had nearly everything youre not meant to, alcohol, soft cheese, medium steak, raw eggs in desserts, a 99, and at my scan last week there was a perfect heartbeat and teeny alien :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful as I hadn't a clue what I shouldn't be eating. Looks like pretty much everything is ok (I am not a cheese lover anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

My girlfriends due in May sometime. She found out she was pregnant on the 11th September but couldn't really date it as she hasn't had a period since May after giving up the pill. Anyhow, last Friday she noticed some bleeding/spotting and went to straight to the rotunda where they done a scan which confirmed she was still pregnant and the pregnancy sac is in the right position but that was all they could really tell from the scan and that she was probably around 5 / 6 weeks. As of today she's had no bleeding or spotting thank god.

She received a letter from Drogheda hospital for her first scan which is due to take place this Thursday. Hopefully they can tell us more from the scan and a more accurate due date.

Glad there's a few people joining in! I don't really have any symptoms at the minute which of course is making me panic, can't win! I'm somewhere between 7 + 1 or 7 + 5 depending on dates, would love some morning sickness or something to reassure me... Famous last words!

Yeah I take this back times a bazillion

Yeah I take this back times a bazillion

Oh no that doesn't sound good.
    I am 4w + 5 and feeling very very tired. Nauseous at least once a day but it does seem to pass, thirsty all the time, very emotional today.
    Fitted on a lovely winter jacket in dunnes today and nearly bought it but then thought what's the point it prob won't fit me by Xmas!!!

I'm 9 weeks today and the tiredness does seem to be back to normalish levels but it has been replaced by all day nausea and really strong food aversions meaning I'm not eating very much. I'm not actually getting sick so that's a positive. It's funny, we tried for so long for this baby and want it so much but still moaning all the time about symptoms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Yup I'm sitting here with my stomach rumbling but I know if I have even a mouthful of anything I'll be sick. I'm only 7 or so weeks, I barely knew I was pregnant last time, didn't have these issues at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _Queenbee_

I'm 8 weeks pregnant with our first baby and did the home test 3 weeks ago. I was delighted with the news, so was my other half but the last two weeks have been a nightmare with nausea/vomiting and feeling weak, not wanting to eat/drink.

Hit an all time low this morning and only want to stay in bed so my husband suggested i go to boards.ie and glad i found this thread!

I'm also seriously wondering why we got into this and then feel so guilty for having such a thought...

Good luck everyone. I do hope things get better because at the moment i just am seeing things from a sombre side.

Don't feel guilty, everyones entitled to mope and be miserable when they feel constantly sick!

_Queenbee_ wrote: »
    I'm 8 weeks pregnant with our first baby and did the home test 3 weeks ago. I was delighted with the news, so was my other half but the last two weeks have been a nightmare with nausea/vomiting and feeling weak, not wanting to eat/drink.

Hit an all time low this morning and only want to stay in bed so my husband suggested i go to boards.ie and glad i found this thread!

I'm also seriously wondering why we got into this and then feel so guilty for having such a thought...

Good luck everyone. I do hope things get better because at the moment i just am seeing things from a sombre side.

You should try and do something nice for yourself. Go for a nice walk, have a relaxing afternoon on the couch with a girly/or good movie, have a snooze on the couch, do some pampering, etc.

Hopefully your nausea will ease up soon and you'll start to feel more positive :)

My ibs has flared up which is not nice also having regular abdominal pain and some nausea and only at 5 weeks....long way to go.

Are any of you still taking pregnancy tests?
    I've taken a couple since my first positive one. The Clear Blue one said 1-2 weeks the first time. I then did another one a few days later so that I could see if my hcg levels had risen. The test showed 2-3 weeks.
    I'm trying to resist the urge to do another next week. I'm finding it hard to actually believe I'm pregnant I guess. Seeing the test say 3+ weeks might help confirm it in my mind and give me reassurance that all is going well until that all important first scan.

Are any of you still taking pregnancy tests?
    I've taken a couple since my first positive one. The Clear Blue one said 1-2 weeks the first time. I then did another one a few days later so that I could see if my hcg levels had risen. The test showed 2-3 weeks.
    I'm trying to resist the urge to do another next week. I'm finding it hard to actually believe I'm pregnant I guess. Seeing the test say 3+ weeks might help confirm it in my mind and give me reassurance that all is going well until that all important first scan.

I did a good few strip tests from finding out at 4 weeks to 6 weeks, that was when they ran out so I stopped then. Had a scan at 7-8 weeks which was great, 4-12 weeks would've been too long to wait with nothing happening!

I took one a week after our positive just to use it up and it went positive extremely fast, and the positive line is stronger than the control line. Went to dr and got it confirmed and the combined care forms filled out, I had already made my first appointment in the Rotunda, so at least now the forms have gone in. Have an early scan in 2 weeks too, should be able to see the heartbeat then, so can't wait. Then we can start telling family, at least then they'll understand why I've been so rubbish the last few weeks.

Thanks for your replies spottybananas and Buttercup78.
    Am I right in thinking the earliest a private scan can be done is 8 weeks?
    I'm 5 weeks today. Gonna go to my gp tomorrow and organise my first official scan with The Coombe.

Thanks for your replies spottybananas and Buttercup78.
    Am I right in thinking the earliest a private scan can be done is 8 weeks?
    I'm 5 weeks today. Gonna go to my gp tomorrow and organise my first official scan with The Coombe.

I am also wondering when is best for the early scan. Really don't want to wait till 12 weeks.

If you go to babyscan.ie you can put your dates and it tells you the best time for the different scans.even if a babyscan isn't close it's a good little tool.

• Advertisement

Some places do early scans from 6 weeks on but this is an internal scan until 8 weeks, most places do 8 weeks onwards, normal abdominal scan. I went at what was 8 weeks exactly by LMP but it measured at 7+4, she could see the yolk sac, a vaguely baby shaped blob (like a monkey nut!) and a strong heartbeat of 158. Ideally I would've liked to have it at 8-9 weeks just to see a bit more definition but that one was mainly so we could see if there was a viable heartbeat or not.

Only 2 weeks until my 12 week scan, which is great. Going by the early scan I'll only be 11 weeks on the day and the doctor said they want it to be done only from 12 weeks on, but it's 12 weeks going by doctor's estimation so I will keep quiet, hopefully they ask me to come back a week or two later :p

I have an early scan in the Coombe tomorrow afternoon - I was really excited but now it just feels surreal and like it's not really happening! I'll be 9ish weeks

I have an early scan in the Coombe tomorrow afternoon - I was really excited but now it just feels surreal and like it's not really happening! I'll be 9ish weeks

Best of luck angeldelight!

Thanks for all of the info on this thread. The calculator on babyscan.ie is great. Hadn't seen that before. Will book a scan for somewhere between week 8 and 9. :)

Yeah it's great that you can ask them to arrange it and contact you, I had an early scan with them last time. Was great I got a DVD of the scan, a report and some pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 crimsonsunset

Congrats to all you ladies expecting little bundles of joy, its so exciting.....I'm not 100% sure but I think I may be joining you...a BIG shock, I've just had my own little bundle of joy, a gorgeous baby boy 8 weeks ago so I definitely was not expecting this...and to top it all off I'm almost 40 and our only other 'child' is a 21 year old...sweet mother of God to go through it all twice in a row at my age...I'm kinda scared but excited as well tbh

Congratulations crimsonsunset!!

I had my scan today - saw the heartbeat fluttering away :-) had an internal one so it was very clear, feel like I can start to relax (a little!). Our consultant is really lovely, feel much more at ease now that I've met her

How was it seeing the heartbeat, how did your other half react? It's so crazy isn't it!

How was it seeing the heartbeat, how did your other half react? It's so crazy isn't it!

He teared up - he's definitely the soppy one of us, I just beamed. He's wrecking my head now reading out everything from the folder the hospital gave us but I can't complain he's just happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Myself and my husband discovered we having a baby on Thursday after 2 years of trying. We are thrilled, baby due 23rd May. Have a doctors appointment on Tuesday. No idea what to expect, any guidance ??

V excited ! X

• Advertisement

Congrats Denise, the gp will just do some of these a urine test, weigh you, feel your abdomen, calculate edd based on your cycle dates, and start the process of referring you to your chosen hospital. That's about it really, then you'll get 12 week scan appt in the post soon after.

Advertisement