Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies 2014-2018

• 23-07-2014 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

Just completed my Leaving Cert, waiting for my results. Predicted about 330-360 for my exams, and the points for ES (European Studies) generally aren't high, so I'm confident I'll secure a place there. But who knows?

I have some questions, though, regarding the structure of the course. If any current ES students could respond on this thread, it would be appreciated.

#1 Do the French, Spanish and German modules cater towards those with elementary to non-existing knowledge of these languages?

#2 Are there exclusive job opportunities Abroad for ES students in the summer?

#3 What are the benefits of the intercultural/linguistic societies?

#4 How many hours worth of lectures are there on a weekly basis?

#5 How would you calculate the gender ratio?

#6 Are the numbers high/how many students are accepted?

So yeah, those are my questions.

Any fellow applicants with ES as their choice, or ES students?? If so, then post right here! Personally, I can't wait to join. I've always had a profound interest for the contemporary, and historical, structures of European society and politics along with modern languages. Priorities straight, though, I'm really looking forward to mingling and getting shatfaced with the students too, so...sure, be grand, be fun, sure. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kennydapro

bump :) anyone been accepted for the course? Registration packets have been sent, so I'm just waiting for mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

From an older thread I posted in here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=67898912
    I think I post this every year when where's an European Studies - IT-Tallaght thread.

Might be of use to you.

Started this course in 2004 and got my degree in 2008.

Took Spanish as a beginner as my main language and spent 3rd year in Spain which was absolutely incredible!

The course I studied would have had more of a political/historical/cultural slant to it since I know they've changed it around a little bit to give it more business/marketing modules in the last few years. Looking back, and seeing what everybody is up to these days, this has been a good thing since business/marketing will defo boost your employment prospects.

Anyway, I really enjoyed most of my subjects and had a blast. Lecturing staff are great too, for the most part.

A good few of us who have graduated from the course have gotten great jobs and started careers too in the EU Institutions, NGO's, political campaigns, and large multinationals and as teachers where having a language really helps. A good few went on to do master's too.

Nice course to be in. Can be a bit general at times, but if you're anyway into politics, history, the arts, or languages you can really gain a lot from the course. It takes a genuine and active interest though.

To give some advice...

Get involved with the Erasmus students in your class. They throw savage parties, will help you with your language, and will really want to get to know the Irish students.

Take an active interest in EU politics, current affairs and politics in general. I can't stress this enough. You'll get way more from the course if you do and you'll do better academically.

Get the most from your language classes. Try not to miss them and really take an proactive interest in learning your language both in college and in your time. The lecturers will really appreciate you showing off and getting stuck in. Also, in terms of learning, it's all about you. Some students will never like the language aspect of the course and will still speak fairly basic Spanish, or French or whatever after 4 years. If you really get into it, you'll be pretty handy by second year, and speaking like a local by the time you finish 4th year.

I can confidently say on Erasmus, in Spain anyway, and in my experience, the IT-Tallaght students (all beginners in first year) spoke much better Spanish than the majority of UCD, NUI, and TCD students we met over there. As mentioned above, you really need to get into it in your own time and turn up to class for your first two years. The lecturers were fantastic when I was there.

Erasmus was mental. Seriously, one the best experiences of my life so far. So many students got seriously stressed about it and really panicked. All you need to do is arrive with some optimism and be ready to enjoy yourself.

Everything else just falls into place ( classes, choosing subjects, languages, apartment, friends, etc..) Can be easily done on a shoe string budget too.

If you're interested in a career in an EU related area, these guys are worth get involved with : http://www.europeanmovement.ie/students-and-stagiaires/

Anyway, enjoy the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jeongeum

Hey I'm in second year, I know late reply but might be useful to others.

1. French is currently taught at a post leaving cert level however if you did it in Junior cert it seems like you can still do it. German is beginners only and in second year were barely touching Leaving Cert honours level. Spanish is done on a rotation so don't bet on it being offered for you.

2. Never heard of summer job opportunities however I haven't really looked, I'm guessing there might be some internships at European level.

3. The only society relating to the course is the International Cultural Society which is usually used by the Erasmus students and the Chinese, it hasn't been having many events the past few semesters so don't rely on it and they mostly do trips around Ireland which unless your dying to see the country isn't much use.

4. First year we had one day of and were in most days 10-6 with about a 2 hour break. Second year much more filled, no day off in at 9 most days with an awful Friday however in the first semester of second year we had terrible four hour and three hour breaks which were a pain.

5. Starting of there was about 15 guys to five-6 girls many lads have dropped out and theres about twelve in the course give or take with it being pretty balanced.

6. Nah, we started with about 25 and that dropped greatly by the end of first year. Its easy to get into and supposedly even easier now that points aren't required and you just have to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

2. Never heard of summer job opportunities however I haven't really looked, I'm guessing there might be some internships at European level.

Check out the European Movement for a regular list of EU related grad/student jobs - http://www.europeanmovement.ie/grad-jobs-in-europe/

I interned in the European Movement myself when I graduated from ES in Tallaght. Opened up a lot of doors.

Eur Activ is another - http://jobs.euractiv.com/experiences/internships

Advertisement