Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vu+ duo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Zab wrote: »
    I'm looking for a box at the moment and I'm wondering if the vu+ range might be the right choice. The box is not for me, but I'll be setting it up. I don't care how hard it is to setup (within reason). However, I do need it to be very easy to use when setup, including recording to the HDD, and I also need it to have good subtitle support. If I can telnet/ssh/http into the box and make changes then all the better. Do the vu+ boxes fit the bill or are they too difficult to use even when set up? It would be all the better if it has a "simple" mode, where you can just watch tv and record, you don't even get shown the settings.

All boxes are pretty much the same to setup, they all have the same basic OS (Enigma 2) and have an image that goes on top that allows you install plugins (applications/programs) and configure the box.

You will be able to tenet/ssh/http and ftp onto the boxes, most of the work will be done via ftp to be honest, once you comfortable with that you'll be sorted. Subtitles are handled via the broadcaster so will be accessible when possible, a lot of channels also has a second audio stream which is for the visually impaired, it can be a bit funny the first time you have someone telling you what's happening, but for older folks they love it.

The VU+ range are at the high end of the market and as a result are a bit pricey, they are usually for the person who is into the whole thing as a hobby, if you were to ask me to recommend a box for an older couple I would recommend the Giga range, there isn't as much support/plugins for it but the remote control is a lot easier for older people to handle/use and the box is pretty much bullet proof.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

stanley1 wrote: »
    I was like you 2 years ago, bought a humax and never looked back.

It all starts somewhere doesn't it :)

I got a free Dreambox 500 and started to play with SGT FlipFlops bouquets and found what more the boxes to do, moved onto a QBox after that, now I'm onto an Ultimo and a GigaBlue UE, be lost without them to be honest, I rarely use it to watch actual TV now anymore though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Clareman wrote: »
    if you were to ask me to recommend a box for an older couple I would recommend the Giga range, there isn't as much support/plugins for it but the remote control is a lot easier for older people to handle/use and the box is pretty much bullet proof.

:) Exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check out Gigablue and humax.

Regarding subtitles. I have them on an Opticum X7 at the moment. The subs are ugly and they stay on the screen until the next sub is triggered. I was hoping they were sent as text and therefore the box might be able to change the font? I'm hoping the staying on the screen part is just a bug.

The recording is another story. It's not that the X7 interface is that terrible, but I've had difficulty explaining it and then when they try to record something it can have reliability issues which blows the whole thing out of the water. Oh, and the words/symbols on the remote are wrong.

It's possible that the answer doesn't lie with a linux box, but I do like the idea of being able to configure it remotely. I don't currently have a linux receiver but I suspect I will in the near future. Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it would be easier if I got mine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I cant add any plugins to my box. When i go to the plugin page it doesnt give me the option to add plugins. Am i doing something wrong or missing something???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm looking for a box at the moment and I'm wondering if the vu+ range might be the right choice. The box is not for me, but I'll be setting it up. I don't care how hard it is to setup (within reason). However, I do need it to be very easy to use when setup, including recording to the HDD, and I also need it to have good subtitle support. If I can telnet/ssh/http into the box and make changes then all the better. Do the vu+ boxes fit the bill or are they too difficult to use even when set up? It would be all the better if it has a "simple" mode, where you can just watch tv and record, you don't even get shown the settings.

I am using the duo with blackhole images set up and imo its very easy to use/record.Not as easy as sky+ but not far off .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

JonnyM wrote: »
    I cant add any plugins to my box. When i go to the plugin page it doesnt give me the option to add plugins. Am i doing something wrong or missing something???

Cheers

If memory serves, there's an onscreen option to download from that point. I agree it's not very clear, but press the download button to download the list of available plugins (it doesn't actually download them yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Cheers

You're on BlackHole, right?

Green button, then yellow, then Addons Download Manager, then plugins or skins or scripts etc.

Regarding subtitles. I have them on an Opticum X7 at the moment. The subs are ugly and they stay on the screen until the next sub is triggered. I was hoping they were sent as text and therefore the box might be able to change the font? I'm hoping the staying on the screen part is just a bug.

The recording is another story. It's not that the X7 interface is that terrible, but I've had difficulty explaining it and then when they try to record something it can have reliability issues which blows the whole thing out of the water. Oh, and the words/symbols on the remote are wrong.

It's possible that the answer doesn't lie with a linux box, but I do like the idea of being able to configure it remotely. I don't currently have a linux receiver but I suspect I will in the near future. Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps it would be easier if I got mine first.

If you want me to test anything for you before you buy let me know and I'll do it on my box for you. BTW, with the linux receivers and a bit of networking knowledge (static IPs, port forwarding and dyndns) you can make the box remotely accessible so you could check everything remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Gigablue Quad is what you want to check out..... £339.

Most powerful box by a mile. Vix Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks all. My current plan is to go with the 800 SE, set that up at the other house then look at a box for myself. The QUAD looks like a runner in that regard, although I guess it depends when and what price the Duo2 comes in at.

• Advertisement

rurs wrote: »
    You're on BlackHole, right?

Green button, then yellow, then Addons Download Manager, then plugins or skins or scripts etc.

when i press the green button nothing happens or indeed if i press green then yellow nothing appens

trying to get vu remote to switch off LG tv and its not switching it off. The vu remote controls the volume and mute buttons but wont switch tv off. I have tried 0056 0206 anyone throw any light on this?

Cheers

trying to get vu remote to switch off LG tv and its not switching it off. The vu remote controls the volume and mute buttons but wont switch tv off. I have tried 0056 0206 anyone throw any light on this?

Cheers

1 press number 1 and 3 until LED is on
    2 Find tv brand code from the list and insert 4 digit code
    -if you cant find code enter 0000,this will do full scan and can take a few minutes.
    3 keep pressing power botton until TV turns off.
    4 if TV can be turned on/off ,volume is changing ,its sorted.
    5 Press OK + STOP to close set up mode.(Red LED will turn off)

yabadabado wrote: »
    1 press number 1 and 3 until LED is on
    2 Find tv brand code from the list and insert 4 digit code
    -if you cant find code enter 0000,this will do full scan and can take a few minutes.
    3 keep pressing power botton until TV turns off.
    4 if TV can be turned on/off ,volume is changing ,its sorted.
    5 Press OK + STOP to close set up mode.(Red LED will turn off)

after i put in the code the red LED turns off and i continue with the rest of the steps but the tv doesnt switch off but volume control does.

Is the code not correct?

after i put in the code the red LED turns off and i continue with the rest of the steps but the tv doesnt switch off but volume control does.

Is the code not correct?

Maybe try it using 0000 for the manual scan.

how do you see what recordings you have coming up?

Cant seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Cant seem to find it

On VIX: Press Menu and it's under Timers.

SalteeDog wrote: »
    On VIX: Press Menu and it's under Timers.

its on BH

Cant seem to find it

Main menu under Timer, I usually use the web interface for managing my timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Cant seem to find it

On Vix, press green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Wiggy

its on BH

On BH, Menu\Timers

Main menu under Timer, I usually use the web interface for managing my timers.

whats this web interface you talk of? Please tell me more

Get the IP address of your box on your home network and just enter that into your internet browser, pretty much everything you can do with your remote you can do there, as well as stream from the box (install VLC Player)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone RTE2 and rte2HD stopped working?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishgeo wrote: »

No problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

irishgeo wrote: »

If you are using the Hauppauge nova-t usb stick it will be a regular occurrence. I lost the sound yesterday which means having to reboot the box to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

recyclebin wrote: »
    If you are using the Hauppauge nova-t usb stick it will be a regular occurrence. I lost the sound yesterday which means having to reboot the box to get it back.

This is just not true. It may be true for you, but I have one of those sticks and I can't remember the last time I had a problem with it. Certainly over a year since I had to reboot to get it working.

I have regular problems with that stick too using the latest version of VIX. Lately the box freezes with the usb stick connected to it. I just use the digital tuner in the television for Saorview now. What image are you using Gunther_Gloop?

Get the IP address of your box on your home network and just enter that into your internet browser, pretty much everything you can do with your remote you can do there, as well as stream from the box (install VLC Player)

Is it possible to watch different channels on laptop and on TV at same time while streaming??

• Advertisement

Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement