Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My cats kill birds but won't eat them?

• 10-01-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have seven cats, they are all happy and healthy. I live on a farm so they live outside all the time. The main idea is that they keep the rats and mice away, and they do, but they are also pets. I feed them in a house outside in the farmyard, if you know what I mean, where they can get in and out easily through a hole in the door, but the dogs can't fit. Tonight when I was feeding them I found 7 dead birds in the place where I leave the cats food. The birds' necks were broken but other than that they were untouched. I know that the cats obviously killed them but why won't they eat them? I feed the cats enough to keep them healthy, but they are by no means spoiled or overfed, if anything they should be wanting, so why aren't they eating the birds?:confused:
    N.B. There has been a lot of birds around my house lately.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The freezing temperatures means the birds are starving and weak. They are around your house looking for food. They are also easy meals for your cats as a result.

The cats aren't eating them because they're not hungry, but they'll keep killing them because their hunting drive is too strong to overlook the opportunity of a bunch of starving birds too weak to fly away and too exhausted to notice they're being stalked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In cold weather particularly when its icy birds will approach homes, farms and other places in search of food.

They thus become easy prey for cats as they become weak from starvation.

You should put bells on your cats to stop them doing this and leave food for them out of reach from cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

This is typical cat behavior.

One of the cats has decided to show its appreciation,
    and return the favor so to speak.

Seven birds or mice from one cat is quite common.

Don't know why it is seven, just seems to reoccur.

You must treat them quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Zainal

You should put bells on your cats to stop them doing this

Why? I understand not leaving food where the birds will be an easy target, but why the bells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

So the birds can hear the cats when they move.

• Advertisement

Outdoor cats should not have anything around their neck,
    it presents a safety hazard

So the birds can hear the cats when they move.

Alright, I guess I walked into that.

I mean, why not let the cat hunt?

T-Square wrote: »

"Outdoor" cats without bells present a safety hazard to starving birds. :mad:

Zainal wrote: »
    Alright, I guess I walked into that.

I mean, why not let the cat hunt?

Just out of basic respect for the ecosystem you're living in really.

'Why not let the cat hunt' is where the sentiment of 'Why not let the Japanese keep research whaling' starts.

The domestic cat, while it has retained many characteristics of wild cats, is not wild. Just because it *can* hunt, that doesn't mean it *should* hunt, willy nilly. You own the cat, it's your responsibility to feed it.

However, well fed cats will often hunt for sport. This is a major issue because it means you're doubly tipping the balance - not only are you allowing an introduced species hunt for no good reason other than its own entertainment, but you're also weighting its odds by feeding it and worming it, so it doesn't have the handicaps of hunger or parasitic infection or anything else that wild animals have to cope with.

Hunting cats can do a huge amount of damage to a local ecosystem, especially to birdlife (and here in Australia, to anything small and furry).

Whatever you may think yourself about numbers, living things are a finite resource and really should be treated with more respect than 'why not let them hunt'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

You should put bells on your cats to stop them doing this and leave food for them out of reach from cats.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I guess it is just the abundance of weak birds around lately.

I would never put bells on my cats, it would be dangerous for them, I love my cats and I don't want them to hang themselves, and I'm sure it would distress them to not be able to stalk prey silently as is their natural instinct.

Cats are supposed to pose a safety hazard to starving birds, that's just the way of nature.
    But since I am feeding the cats I guess that gives them an unfair advantage over the birds so to be fair I will buy a few bird feeders soon and hang them up, then they can fight fair.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Birds are dinner for cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You can get bells with an elastic insert or a safety release system. You should take responsibility for the impact.

When hanging up bird feeders do so in a clearing where is nowhere nearby for a cat to hide and stage an ambush. Invest in a squirrel proof pole so the feeder won't get chewed.

In an ecological sense there are too many cats per square kilometre.

Not all cats, read the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

KateC92 wrote: »
    I would never put bells on my cats, it would be dangerous for them, I love my cats and I don't want them to hang themselves, and I'm sure it would distress them to not be able to stalk prey silently as is their natural instinct.

If you love your cats you would put collars with bells on them. For several reasons, one being they could be identified as yours if needs be, another being the amount of diseases that can be transferred to your cat from wild animals (and vice versa) including the taxoplasma parasite (which can be transferred to you). Most collars these days have safety catches on them so if there's no chance of your cat 'hanging' themselves. I have four cats and all four have collars and all with bells with the exception of one who is driven demented by the bell but doesn't hunt anyway. One of them is particularly active and has lost four collars in the last few months but was never harmed by them.

And putting out feeders is only going to attract more weak starving birds to your yard. Our cats have brought in three birds in the last few days, my boyfriend managed to save one of them, the other two were not so lucky. So, we decided to close our cat flap and only leave them out supervised until the cold snap lifts. The poor birds haven't a chance with current conditions.

There's no reason why birds and cats can't live side by side. Cats with bells still experience the thrill of the hunt and the birds maybe get a fright but still live. Everyone's happy.

The same way, in the natural order of things, cats are dinner for dogs? Cats are roadkill, and worth extra points if you swerve to hit them? cats are pests that shit all over my garden, so I should be able to put poisoned food out fo them? Cats are nuisance animals so I should be able to use them for target practice?

Sheep are herd animals and sheep-worrying dogs are only doing what comes naturally? Toddlers are small and not the top of the pack, so dogs that bite the faces off young children shouldn't be put to sleep for it?

Cats aren't worth the vets bills after an accident, because they're only cats?

Value statements like the one you made are dangerous territory.

Yes, cats have a natural urge to hunt and will kill birds, insects, rodents and other small mammals given the chance. They will also exercise their urge to hunt on pieces of string, small cloth mice, ping pong balls - the same way dogs will exercise their urge to chase on a frisbee.

You have a domestic cat. It's up to you to try and limit how it exercises
    'wild' behaviour, the same way people no longer allow their dogs to roam in packs.

Otherwise, at some point you'll find yourself on the unfortunate, karmic end of your own logic - if it's tough shit for the bird because it's natural for the cat to hunt, then it's tough shit for your cat - and you - when your neighbour's two dogs, for instance, catch it in their yard and tear it to pieces.

I guess I can see your point about the impact of a house cat on wildlife although my own experience with my cat is that she's lazy as sin and rarely hunts.

However I think comparing house cats hunting to whaling or choosing to run down animals is an odd comparison.

Slightly OT but what's your opinion of cats hunting mice and rats, things most would consider vermin? And do we harm birds by providing food, possibly encouraging them to be dependent on us?

I'm not trying to force morality upon the cat.

Cats hunt. They have a stalk, chase and pounce instinct that's strong in even four week old kittens. They do not differentiate between prey animals based on value or tameness, attractiveness or position on the endangered species list.

Similarly, dogs hunt. Some dogs will react very badly indeed at the sight of a herd of animals, or a small, running animal (or small, running child). However, for many reasons, people have chosen to step in, in the case of dogs, and we now restrict their roaming, supervise their interaction with potential prey and exercise their wild instinct through supervised exercise and play (two walks a day and a game of fetch, for instance).

Why don't we do the same for our cats?

A lot of people hate cats, because of how they are permitted to broadly exericse their hunting, roaming and territory marking instincts. The cats come out worse from this negative PR every time - I have had to deal with "How much? But it's just a cat!" at the vet, leading to the animal being abandoned. I have also seen the aftermath of poisonings, shootings, and other anti-cat cruelty of various kinds (an attempted garotting with a wire trap designed for rabbits in one case).

Cats don't need to change. People need to change, and limit what they allow their cat to do. Free roaming cats are pests. The public hates pests. That's why we don't even count the number of cats PTS every year in the pounds - other than a number 'more than dogs'.

There are people on this forum who won't put a collar on their cat, because of the dangers of the collar getting caught when the cat climbs. Others won't allow their cat out without a collar, because they believe it indicates ownership. On the shooting forum, one of the distinctions for shooters who target 'feral' cats is whether or not it's wearing a collar. Flip again, and I can tell you that all a collar means is someone owned the cat for long enough to put a collar on it - which takes two minutes. The pounds and shelters brim over every year with cats, wearing collars, who nobody wants, or claims, or admits to ever having owned.

People really need to take responsibility for their cats. 'Birds are food for cats' is a cop out of the highest order. 'New born lambs are food for siberian huskies' has just as much validity in terms of the truth of the statement regarding the nature of the animal, but do you think it would excuse a husky caught worrying sheep? No, it wouldn't, but a mindshift had to happen for that to be the case.

Cats have a role as a working animal, the same as dogs do. In the case of cats, they keep vermin down - but there is a specific environment for that, such as in areas where there is a lot of food stored in a way that allows vermin access to that food, and facilitates a population explosion of vermin. Barns and stables for instance, often use a cat to keep the vermin down. In my view, that's fine - as long as the cat is neutered, wormed regularly, has access to clean water and to food that it hasn't had to hunt itself, will be given properly veterinary care if injured - you know, all of the things we offer our working dogs. The cat should also be shut into the stable or barn at night, with the other animals, and allowed out in the morning - this will limit its roaming, going some way towards protecting it from death on the road and fights with other roaming cats, thereby limiting the risk of it contracting a fatal disease through fighting with other cats.

I'm not comparing cats hunting to whaling or running down animals on the road. I'm comparing the attitude, the one that says that cats hunting is harmless, natural and the animals they're killing are unworthy of notice, to the same attitudes that form the foundation of sport killing.

Allowing your cat unrestricted outdoor access, to kill wildlife, shit on the neighbour's garden, stir up the neighbour's dog at 2am so it starts barking furiously and wakes the whole street, and conduct boisterous, yowling fights on the garage roof with other cats, does absolutely no favours for your cat or domestic-cat-kind as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Whats all this nonsense about now? Of course cats should hunt. You don't complain when they kill off vermin like rats (I never seem to hear the conservationists get into a self righteous huff about that) But whinge when they take out a few birds? Is it because birds look nice and rats don't? You can't seriously expect a cat to know the moral difference between killing vermin (Rats) and killing birds. Therefore, if you keep a cat because it keeps vermin away (Like we do, but we also like the little bugger) and you give it bells, or whatever the hell you people are talking about doing, its going to prevent it killing rats. What a load of nonsense this entire thread has been.

Denerick wrote: »
    Whats all this nonsense about now? Of course cats should hunt. You don't complain when they kill off vermin like rats (I never seem to hear the conservationists get into a self righteous huff about that) But whinge when they take out a few birds? Is it because birds look nice and rats don't? You can't seriously expect a cat to know the moral difference between killing vermin (Rats) and killing birds. Therefore, if you keep a cat because it keeps vermin away (Like we do, but we also like the little bugger) and you give it bells, or whatever the hell you people are talking about doing, its going to prevent it killing rats. What a load of nonsense this entire thread has been.

If you don't understand something, it helps if you actually read the thread.

If you don't understand something, it helps if you actually read the thread.

Wow! You totally

pawned.jpg

Me.

• Advertisement

Additionally, if you have nothing substantial to contribute because you haven't read the thread, and have missed the point of what you have read, you could always just refrain from posting?

Still though, if trumpeting in declaring everything 'Nonsense!' and then posting yesterday's lolcat pic makes you feel better, you carry on.

Additionally, if you have nothing substantial to contribute because you haven't read the thread, and have missed the point of what you have read, you could always just refrain from posting?

Still though, if trumpeting in declaring everything 'Nonsense!' and then posting yesterday's lolcat pic makes you feel better, you carry on.

Well no, I did read the thread. I just happened to disagree with you. Why are you so agitated? Here, let me give you a back rub.

I'm not agitated at all. I have simply presented a point of view that you don't agree with - you're the one hollering 'nonsense!' (a claim you don't do much work to support, by the way) and posting lolcat pictures.

Can you back up why you think it's nonsense that a cat's instinct to hunt should be curtailed by its owner?

I'm not agitated at all. I have simply presented a point of view that you don't agree with - you're the one hollering 'nonsense!' (a claim you don't do much work to support, by the way) and posting lolcat pictures.

Can you back up why you think it's nonsense that a cat's instinct to hunt should be curtailed by its owner?

You compare the domesticisation of cats and dogs like they are two equal presentations. They are not. Dogs are for the most part rubbish hunters and equally for the most part this instinct has been drilled out of them to the extent that all they ever do is bundle after a smaller animal aimlessly (Allowing the said animal to escape easily)

Cats on the other hand have a much finer honed hunting instinct which has never been bred out of them, no matter how much they've domesticated (Take the example of cats who have been declawed - when they are young they still find and carry small implements and present them to their owner. This is their instinct in action) They hunt craftily, using stealth and wit. A dog just runs.

What's more, cats form a useful function in preventing the spread of vermin. They cannot be expected to know the difference between birds and rats. If they kill birds, then thats just a fact of nature. The fact that they are domesticated makes no difference at all.

If you are living in an urban area, then have your cat housebound by all means. But for those of us who own cats in rural areas, its natural for them to be expected to prevent the spread of vermin. That is their primary function in our household. End of story.

Letting your domestic cat out in this weather unsupervised when there is starving birds out there some whom haven't even got the energy to take off is disgusting. Its like shooting someone in the back.

The cold spell is expected to last until the end of the week, it isn't much to ask people to keep an eye on their cats for a few more days.

If you are living in an urban area, then have your cat housebound by all means. But for those of us who own cats in rural areas, its natural for them to be expected to prevent the spread of vermin. That is their primary function in our household. End of story.

If you read my post number 18 on this thread, I pretty much agree with this paragraph, and I make reference to the 'working cat'. I just request some restriction - for the benefit of the cat and the area, and not to the detriment of the cat's effectiveness in vermin control.

I agree, cats cannot be expected to know the difference between a mouse and a bird, or a sparrow and someone's escaped budgy, or indeed a fluttering blade of grass and something edible - they'll hunt them all.

The question is whether you as the cat's owner should allow it to hunt indiscriminately, turning a blind eye, on the basis that it is natural cat behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

they didnt lick it off a stone thats all il say :P

Letting your domestic cat out in this weather unsupervised when there is starving birds out there some whom haven't even got the energy to take off is disgusting. Its like shooting someone in the back.

The cold spell is expected to last until the end of the week, it isn't much to ask people to keep an eye on their cats for a few more days.

Oh please. The only thing seperating a bird and a rat in your eyes is that one is pretty and one is not.

The question is whether you as the cat's owner should allow it to hunt indiscriminately, turning a blind eye, on the basis that it is natural cat behaviour.

Yes, why shouldn't I? I'd prevent it taking on a fox if I saw it happening, solely because it wouldn't have a chance, though I'd marvel at its audacity. I don't understand why you are surprised that a natural predator likes to hunt.

P.S- I think I see a clear rural/urban divide here. I'm used to seeing animals killing each other. I eat meat. I am a lazy predator myself. I just expect someone else to do the killing. There is a food chain in the universe, some animals are destined to die when faced by stronger, more aggressive animals. It is the cosmic ordering of the universe. As much as all these petty sentimentalism's warms my heart, its not going to make the species any stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Mice and rats breed a lot quicker than birds.

Advertisement