Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avensis Vs Mondeo

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    I'm sure Fordism is studied in depth too. Either way there is no denying the impact Japanese engineering had on the automotive world in the 70s and 80s, but it does not necessarily hold true that a family saloon from Toyota in 2008 is a better car than that from Ford.
    Toyota's production systems are the envy of the western world. Ford would not be in the same league. Doesn't mean Toyota cars are better tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Mondeo wins on looks alone - Avensis looks like a Transformers arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Toyotas have been slipping down the reliability surveys for the past couple of years. The "Best Built Cars in the World" slogan is out of date at best.

Anyway Toyota's European and UK slogan is "today tomorrow", in Germany it is "nothing is impossible".

I'd still wager that it is more reliable than the Ford but the Ford is still a vastly superior car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    Toyotas have been slipping down the reliability surveys for the past couple of years. The "Best Built Cars in the World" slogan is out of date at best.

Anyway Toyota's European and UK slogan is "today tomorrow", in Germany it is "nothing is impossible".

I'd still wager that it is more reliable than the Ford but the Ford is still a vastly superior car.

Yeah, I read that Toyota's head honcho is pulling out all the stops to reduce production costs on each unit. They've been in a ding-dong battle to replace GM as biggest car manufacturer in the world. As a result evidence seems to suggest standards are slipping a little. My mate's wife traded a Corolla for an Auris and my mate claims the older car seemed much more substantial & had better materials. The Avensis is an older model, not sure it's suffered from the penny-pincing yet.

If you're not into cars the 2.0D should be sufficent. 2.2D only available in Luna spec and pretty expensive (over €32 grand). There are much better options available for that money...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

if you like your motoring a drive in the Mondeo will insure you'll take it over the Toyota.

If you don't then I would say the Toyota might be the better long term as you'll always get someone to take it off you, but it will be a truely joyless ownership experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »

Very True.IMO, that slogan only ever had any real truth in the eearly nineties.I would still think that a jap built toyota wouls still be a very reliable car but if its been made in europe specifically for the european market its to be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I dont like either of them, the mondeo will soon be tarnished with flashing blue lights and reflective green stripes when the gards start using them.
    When the new mondeo came out I thought it looked cool so you better go and buy one before you start looking like an unmarked garda car.

*I dont have a mondeo anymore because people kept cracking garda jokes at me*

Now the avensis my god I would not buy one of them, you would cross as the most boring person in the world UUUGHHH:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

I would always go for the current Avensis if given the choice Avenis or New Mondeo. It looks and feels better built.
    Mondo has been here for less than a year while Avensis is around since 2003. Mondeo might look nicer (but beauty is in the beholders eyes) than Avensis but does not feel solid.
    Ford do not have the reputation of Toyota's.
    If I had to choose, I would go fo Mazda 6 and not the Mondeo.
    If I had the option, I would hold back untill Jan 2009 and get the New Avensis (VI)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Mondeo everytime.

Avensis feels like a barge going around corners compared to the Mondeo which is fairly sweet and responsive at the wheel.

The spec in the Avensis is fairly poor too. Interior incredibly bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have both cars, both 07.

07 1.6 petrol Avensis Strata for wife

07 1.8 TDCI Mondeo Zetec as my company car.

I will ignore the power comparisons as one is petrol and the other diesel.

The Mondeo is a quick car. Poor off the blocks in first but a rocket once up to 1900 revs and in third. It is a solid car and very comfortable. Sticks to the road like glue. It chews front tyres. 30000Km per front set. I had 2 of the last version as company cars before this and loved them and asked for the Mondeo. The zetec has 125bhp and 6 gears and climate control. It needs the 125bhp in my opinion and I thought the base LX 100bhp, 5 gear one was under powered when I test drove one. If you do a lot of miles the mondeo is for you. It eats diesel at motorway speeds. I get 43mpg consistently for mixed driving including motorway. It is big and takes some getting used to when parallel parking. The turning circle is poor.

The Avensis is not terribly quick but will get to 120Kmph before you get to the end of a motorway entrance ramp so it has plenty of poke for our needs. The dash is not exicting but it all works well. Both of us love the ride height of the Avensis (the mondeo ride height is very low and she hates it). The mid spec strata has air-con, 5 gears and mp3 cd player (which the mondeo does not have but it has aux in port). I prefer the Avensis in low speed town driving. The clutch is light compared to the Mondeo. The Avensis quoted mpg figures are very accurate. 30mpg around town always. Easy to park as the turning circle is tight.

In summary, both are good cars. Although you spec'd diesel in your opening comment, choose carefully depending on your mileage. Consider resale values of both, the Fords never hold value after 3 years compared to the Toyota. Also consider reliabilty. The Ford TDCI engines all have injector blocking issues. E92's comment on poor Toyota reliabilty relates to the current Auris and Corrolla which has more electronics than ever before and these are troublesome. The current Avensis is still in the "twisty knobs" era but they work reliably.

Best of luck in your final choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jeez, it's rare we have that sort of balance here. Nice one Damien, good post.

Advertisement