Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Tommie tippee do little 100ml storage pots that are very handy, they can be frozen as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OMG my baby just bit my nip!!!! She has 4 teeth! Christ it brought soreness to a whole new level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sligo1 wrote: »
    OMG my baby just bit my nip!!!! She has 4 teeth! Christ it brought soreness to a whole new level!

Have a bruise on one breast almost 4 weeks now from a bite! 4 weeks, how is that even possible?

Have a bruise on one breast almost 4 weeks now from a bite! 4 weeks, how is that even possible?

Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a little vampire here too... She has bitten my wrists, boobs, neck, belly, legs... She's getting her teeth in slightly wrong order too and teething awfully. Can't explain to an almost 8 month old bitings not allowed!!

• Advertisement

After she did it she glanced up at me with this kinda grin like she knew what she was doing! Lol. All she needed to do to top it off then was an evil laugh like... "Mwahahahaha"....

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

My 10week old pinch my nipple the other day, there was a kind of dent/crack on the base of the nipple. Bit painful when latching on since but fine after 10seconds. Was expressing this morning at the lowest setting, at the very end I noticed a clot of blood, switch off pump straight away so it didn't go into the bottle but I think the milk has a slight pink tinge to it (could be my imagination) is it ok to give to baby or should I dump? It's only 2.5oz/70ml so not the end of the world. I assume I should let the air at the nipple a much as I can to heal, anything else I should do? Is it ok for baby to feed off that side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I am pretty certain that it is perfectly safe for your baby to consume your breastmilk with some of your blood. It can be hard to avoid if you have a cracked nipple. I experienced the same thing. Milk is made in the bloodstream anyway.

You should continue to feed from that side definitely as you need to keep emptying the breast of milk to avoid any problems.

Hope it's not too sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

livinsane wrote: »
    I am pretty certain that it is perfectly safe for your baby to consume your breastmilk with some of your blood. It can be hard to avoid if you have a cracked nipple. I experienced the same thing. Milk is made in the bloodstream anyway.

You should continue to feed from that side definitely as you need to keep emptying the breast of milk to avoid any problems.

Hope it's not too sore!

Thanks, it's not too bad, wore nipple shells today so it had a bit of a chance to heal. I'll avoid expressing from that side til it's healed I think

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

I had badly cracked nipples in the early days and wore shields and I could see a pink tinge in the milk that was in the shield. I reckon it's perfectly fine . But def keep feeding as the last thing you want is problems with engorgement.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it's not too bad, wore nipple shells today so it had a bit of a chance to heal. I'll avoid expressing from that side til it's healed I think

Rub some lansinoh cream on the nipple aswell :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Bella Most Rubble

Lansinoh cream is the holy grail for sore nipples! And chapped lips. And a million other things, it's like a magic potion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

The multimam compresses are brilliant for cracked/sore nipples - quite pricey but definitely worth the money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Sitting here pumping, it sounds like my pump is saying 'mackerel'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Girls I have a question about combination feeding. I have started giving my 5 month old a formula bottle at 4pm, she had been fussy feeding for 6 weeks and I was very worried she wasn't getting enough. I am thinking of replacing the 11am feed with a bottle also, in preparation for going back to work. I really hope to continue feeding morning and night, so you think this is possible? I'm worried my supply will suffer too much if I replace two feeds.

ncmc wrote: »
    Girls I have a question about combination feeding. I have started giving my 5 month old a formula bottle at 4pm, she had been fussy feeding for 6 weeks and I was very worried she wasn't getting enough. I am thinking of replacing the 11am feed with a bottle also, in preparation for going back to work. I really hope to continue feeding morning and night, so you think this is possible? I'm worried my supply will suffer too much if I replace two feeds.

Hi NCMC, you should be able to do this without too much trouble provided you give yourself and your supply enough time to adjust to the needs of your baby. I started giving a bottle of formula at 6 months and then 2 bottles of formula while still keeping up a couple of breast feeds (te primary one in the morning). I would only drop one feed a week otherwise you could get a lot of engorgement leaving you at a higher risk of mastitis or blocked ducts. But it's definitely doable. And your body will continue producing as much milk as your baby needs as stimulated by his/her sucking and feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

ncmc wrote: »

Yep I second what Sligo1 says :)

I give my LO a bottle of formula at bedtime - I started by giving her 2oz the first night with a breastfeed, and gradually upped the amount of oz of formula nightly and reduced the amount of the time breastfeeding at bedtime until eventually she was just taking a full bottle and no bf at bed. It took about 2 weeks but I was happy that both of us were adjusting slowly to the change to that bedtime feed :)

Don't worry your supply will adjust to match your baby's needs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Just wondering if anyone else found that their baby was cluster feeding and really clingy around the 9 week mark especially after vaccinations? To be honest it's been building up for the last 2 weeks, but this week was challenging. Couldn't put him down or he'd scream and he just wants to feed all evening. He's feeding so much that he's vomiting!!

In fairness we didn't get this around 6 weeks and he was 2 weeks early so is it possible that it's that growth spurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes there is some sort of fussy stage around 8-9 weeks. My daughter went through it and used to scream the place down in the evening but was generally unhappy and fussy for no obvious reason during the day. I think I found out on kellymom about the fussy phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Has anyone gone through a green nappy phase and returned back to normal poos?

My LC has advised it could be just a phase and to leave it for 2-3 weeks. My lo has medium/dark green poos not lime green which I understand is more worrying.

I've read about over supply and block feeding etc but I've only seen it as advice given and haven't seen anyone say they've resolved the issue themselves.

Im happy to wait and see for a few weeks but curious if anyone else has resolved green poos and how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Marz66 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone through a green nappy phase and returned back to normal poos?

My LC has advised it could be just a phase and to leave it for 2-3 weeks. My lo has medium/dark green poos not lime green which I understand is more worrying.

I've read about over supply and block feeding etc but I've only seen it as advice given and haven't seen anyone say they've resolved the issue themselves.

Im happy to wait and see for a few weeks but curious if anyone else has resolved green poos and how?

Ah yes I've had experiences of a few days with green poos then back to the lovely golden colour.

Going through a phase at the moment of green ones.
    It's nothe something I've ever worried about thou.
    I'm feeding my third baby now.

I've been having salads each day for past week I've put it down to that

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

monflat wrote: »
    Ah yes I've had experiences of a few days with green poos then back to the lovely golden colour.

Going through a phase at the moment of green ones.
    It's nothe something I've ever worried about thou.
    I'm feeding my third baby now.

I've been having salads each day for past week I've put it down to that

Thanks monflat. I've been eating lots if broccoli and on iron supplements too so that could be part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi there, I am hoping to get a bit of advice!

My breast fed baby is 7.5 months and never slept through the night. Since he was 3 months he only woke up once a night for a 10 min feed, which was easy and totally manageable (ie mummy not sleep deprived!)

But for the past month he started waking up 2-3 times a night and only the boob can settle him :-( We tried to settle him without the boob but he just screams and screams and I usually give in :-(

I am wondering is he actually hungry or is it a case that he wakes up and doesn't know how to fall back asleep without the comfort of the breast?

He's a super happy baby, very active, eats breakfast, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner at 6 pm and bottle of formula before bed at 7.30-8pm. Several breastfeeds during the day.

If he's hungry during the night I am happy to soldier through and feed him, but if he's waking up as a habit and wants boob for comfort, I'd rather not feed this habit! How can I know?

He sucks his thumb, so he has that comfort anytime he wants :-) He's not cold or warm or in pain at all at night.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hi there, I am hoping to get a bit of advice!

My breast fed baby is 7.5 months and never slept through the night. Since he was 3 months he only woke up once a night for a 10 min feed, which was easy and totally manageable (ie mummy not sleep deprived!)

But for the past month he started waking up 2-3 times a night and only the boob can settle him :-( We tried to settle him without the boob but he just screams and screams and I usually give in :-(

I am wondering is he actually hungry or is it a case that he wakes up and doesn't know how to fall back asleep without the comfort of the breast?

He's a super happy baby, very active, eats breakfast, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner at 6 pm and bottle of formula before bed at 7.30-8pm. Several breastfeeds during the day.

If he's hungry during the night I am happy to soldier through and feed him, but if he's waking up as a habit and wants boob for comfort, I'd rather not feed this habit! How can I know?

He sucks his thumb, so he has that comfort anytime he wants :-) He's not cold or warm or in pain at all at night.

Thanks for your help!

Hi
    Is it possible he could eat more during the day? Maybe another snack or bigger meals? Maybe more solids than milk might help?. I don't think he could be hungry at night for the breastfeeds but more food might be settling. Could he be teething either?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

That's why I am confused, he eats very well during the day, my portions are generous and thick, he also gets yoghurt or fruit puree if I see that he is still hungry after lunch or dinner. I forgot to mention that he gets a dream feed at 11pm. He can't be hungry 3 hours later! He's definitely not in pain, we've ruled that out.

Aaaah, I think we are going to have to break this habit... Dreading it! Anyone has any experience of stopping boob at night if not necessary?

My first son was breastfed for 6 months, he was waking 4-6 times a night for a feed all for those 6 months and it broke me. I stopped breasfeeding then due to pure exhaustion... I really want to avoid this this time around!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

just a quick question about dirty nappies! I have a 12week old little girl, exclusively breastfed. Started out with the normal 4-8 dirty nappies a day and gradually reduced the frequency to every second day. But over the past 4 weeks she's only been going every 3 to 4 days (went to 6 days once). Now I know this is not unusual for breastfed babies but she's really gassy between poos and the gas is so smelly. She passes a lot of wind and even the tiniest amount really stinks. When she does poo it smells really strong too and has a weird smell which I can't even describe.
    She doesn't seem bothered by this at all, she's thriving, great form, gaining weight. But this has been niggling at me, she shouldn't be so smelly. I bf my first and couldn't even tell when she had a dirty nappy as there was no smell.
    Anyone else experience this with their baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

emer_b wrote: »
    just a quick question about dirty nappies! I have a 12week old little girl, exclusively breastfed. Started out with the normal 4-8 dirty nappies a day and gradually reduced the frequency to every second day. But over the past 4 weeks she's only been going every 3 to 4 days (went to 6 days once). Now I know this is not unusual for breastfed babies but she's really gassy between poos and the gas is so smelly. She passes a lot of wind and even the tiniest amount really stinks. When she does poo it smells really strong too and has a weird smell which I can't even describe.
    She doesn't seem bothered by this at all, she's thriving, great form, gaining weight. But this has been niggling at me, she shouldn't be so smelly. I bf my first and couldn't even tell when she had a dirty nappy as there was no smell.
    Anyone else experience this with their baby?

Not the smelly nappy as such - like you I wouldn't have known if it was dirty without opening it when it unleashed an overwhelming sour smell! However my girl was gassy as you like in between dirty nappies (every 8-10 days!). Smelly loud builder farts! I'm sure as you say if the babas not uncomfortable it's grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My 13 month is going through a really clingy stage for the last month or so. He is feeding really often during the day. It seems to be just for comfort as he eats and drinks plenty. I am going with the flow but please tell me it goes hand in hand with the clingy stage and he will ease off again!

Sooo... Thrush. S has it in her mouth, unsurprising really she's on iv antibiotics for a throat and ear infection and another thing for mouth ulcers. They've given her drops to use, and I got daktarin too: should I do anything else? My nipples feel itchy but I reckon that's because I know she has thrush!!

• Advertisement

Oh and livinsane that definitely eases off.., I used get out of the house to help!

Advertisement