Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long range UAV - Flying the mountains of Kerry

• 07-09-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

I always wanted a long range drone, something you fly from a screen, and now I have got one, its the ultimate yoke !

Heres a 3Km trip north of Sneem.

It has a load capacity of 1 can, but I am sure the technology will advance to a 4 pack soon..

SB

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I WANT!!! :eek::eek::D:D:D Very col sir, very cool.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

what's the total cost for a long range one like that. and what is the range?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is that a phantom Quadcopter drone, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi

The flight was safe, and conducted within the guidelines for UAV.

I would not fly over populated areas, and as far as the radio gear is concerned I am licensed. I think we are going to read a lot more stories like that one, and see lots of new laws.

It did start out life as a standard DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus, but it has had lots of modifications. The main mods are modifying both the UAV and the pilot end to accept third party antennas, then installing 7 new ariels which are circular polarised (much better for UAVs).

I am flying again in Sneem next week, and will push out beyond 3Km, the next target being 6Km, it should have a final range ,only limited by the battery, of 8Km.

Here is a video of my transmitter, normally a tablet is mounted using the clip, above the control, this displays the live feed, and telemetry.

It really is the ultimate yoke !!

I will post another video in a moment.

Huw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi Again

Just realised that I did not answer the question of cost.

To go the full hog, ultimate Yoke set up on a Phantom its about 2000 euro.

If you want to go further, carry more, then build a scratch TBS Discovery Pro with all the long range mods, cost about 3500 euro.

Heres a video flying in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrAviation

coola boola

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please don't bump dead threads.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement