Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

• 05-07-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Am thinking about buying a 2nd hand one of theses at some stage (need to save the pennies first).

Been looking on ebay and see there are 'version B, Version C etc) but it doesn't state what the difference is? I know the latest one has an LED screen..but apart from that, can anyone advise?

I'm looking for the cheapest- no extra bells and whistles..just a cheap integrated sat nav. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Am thinking about buying a 2nd hand one of theses at some stage (need to save the pennies first).

Been looking on ebay and see there are 'version B, Version C etc) but it doesn't state what the difference is? I know the latest one has an LED screen..but apart from that, can anyone advise?

I'm looking for the cheapest- no extra bells and whistles..just a cheap integrated sat nav. Cheers

A is old, C is newer, this is just a revision number. C has newer hardware, can handle bigger sd cards etc.
    http://www.my-gti.com/1966/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-2720-2722-2724-2726-2728/comment-page-2

Also note that there are OEM and aftermarket models labeled with the same VW name and they look 99% the same. I don't know about quality difference/OEM features missing...

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What year is your car? I can't remember the exact details but for the earlier GTIs you need an early revision of the RNS510 I think. Something to do with the canbus controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭spunk_monkey

gpf101 wrote: »
    What year is your car? I can't remember the exact details but for the earlier GTIs you need an early revision of the RNS510 I think. Something to do with the canbus controller.

Yeah, I think you are correct, I remember reading about battery drain issues if you don't have the correct model for your car or something?

It's an early 2008 so maybe I need a version C?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm not sure of the specifics, I think it was the early cars had the issue. Safer to check it out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I am sure you know yourself but be careful of Chinese knock offs on ebay.

• Advertisement

Probably safer to call the dealer and ask them the question
    These are dear, I know a few refurb ones are for sale on eBay and the likes.
    New ones fetch for like 2k aren't they?

Check for the chinese one too, might be worth. Usually they go for 500-700 euro, but are aftermarket. If the quality is good and is as close as possible that OEM in terms of features, I'd say it is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think you're ok if it's a 2008 car. I think the canbus was revised in 2007 cars onwards.

I bought and installed a version C last week for my new MKVI GTD. I did a lot of research on it over the last few weeks and eventually bought it off a very highly rated seller on UK VW forum - www.r32oc.com, username is N13KKF. I paid him £550 plus postage for the version C (LED screen). I may well have got it a bit cheaper on ebay, but I was prepared to pay a little extra for a genuine unit, in absolutely mint condition.

Check out his thread here, which will answer any questions you have - http://www.r32oc.com/sale/26878-rns-510-ver-c-latest-led-screen-2010-edition.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I paid €500 for mine secondhand. It's in a different car but the same unit. Somewhere like vagdrivers for sale section throws them up fairly regularly.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    . I paid him £550 plus postage for the version C (LED screen). I may well have got it a bit cheaper on ebay, but I was prepared to pay a little extra for a genuine unit, in absolutely mint condition.

Check out his thread here, which will answer any questions you have - http://www.r32oc.com/sale/26878-rns-510-ver-c-latest-led-screen-2010-edition.html

550£ for a genuine one are you saying? What's the catch?

What about the Zenec NC-2010 one?
    It is supposed to be very nice too.

2010info.jpg

http://www.sat-nav-system.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_106&products_id=241&zenid=bff9d746d007992ad0e7acc4a723964b

Personally, I wanted the factory OEM look, as well as the fact that the RNS integrates fantastically well with the OEM bluetooth and the MFD (the screen between the speedo and rev counter).

Some pics of mine installed:
    IMG_1373.jpg
    photo2-2.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg

• Advertisement

I think you're ok if it's a 2008 car. I think the canbus was revised in 2007 cars onwards.

I bought and installed a version C last week for my new MKVI GTD. I did a lot of research on it over the last few weeks and eventually bought it off a very highly rated seller on UK VW forum - www.r32oc.com, username is N13KKF. I paid him £550 plus postage for the version C (LED screen). I may well have got it a bit cheaper on ebay, but I was prepared to pay a little extra for a genuine unit, in absolutely mint condition.

Hi Joe,

is the unit straight forward to DIY install?

Yep it's not too bad. It's a little different on MKV's than MKVI's, but not too difficult. There's a few online guides on VW forums, try the one I linked above, there's definitely guides for the MKV on there.
    Then, to get the multi-function steering wheel buttons (if you have it) and the MFD to recognise the unit it needs a little coding with VAG COM, which I got some help with.

Yep it's not too bad. It's a little different on MKV's than MKVI's, but not too difficult. There's a few online guides on VW forums, try the one I linked above, there's d....

So your unit is a refurbished one isn't?

It's a 2nd hand unit yes, but in mint condition. They are a 2 grand factory fit option after all!

It's a 2nd hand unit yes, but in mint condition. They are a 2 grand factory fit option after all!

Hi Joe,,

had a look through that site but couldn't find the installation guide, if you know where to find it, could you post a link? Thanks.:)

anyone have opinions on this non original one?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-SEAT-SKODA-Car-DVD-Stereo-GPS-Sat-Nav-Volkswagen-/200622735700?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item2eb60c0154

It appeals as it has bluetooth, where the rns 510 if I want bt, its a 250 euro extra:(

Hi Joe,,

had a look through that site but couldn't find the installation guide, if you know where to find it, could you post a link? Thanks.:)

I can't seem to find it either and I was only looking at it last week! It would be in the "In car entertainment" section and authored by the guy I bought it off - Nick.

Here's another guide I found, looks similar: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258543

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kenwood do an oem looking unit for vw cars with bluetooth integrated. It looks factor and is an excellent unit , garmin gps for easy map updating. Compatible with irish tmc traffic and ha excellent ipod control , does dvd , usb media and you can put a tv tuner on it , retails brand new for under 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kenwood do an oem looking unit for vw cars with bluetooth integrated. It looks factor and is an excellent unit , garmin gps for easy map updating. Compatible with irish tmc traffic and ha excellent ipod control , does dvd , usb media and you can put a tv tuner on it , retails brand new for under 1000 euro

thanks but it way out of my budget, which is 500 max!

• Advertisement

thanks but it way out of my budget, which is 500 max!

There was a recent thread about these here and an ebay seller was mentioned that is Dublin based. They had secondhand units in that price range.

EPM wrote: »
    There was a recent thread about these here and an ebay seller was mentioned that is Dublin based. They had secondhand units in that price range.

yep that's correct, based in Drogheda I think.. he has version c without LED for 550, with LED for 650(worth the extra?) or version B (don't know what the difference between version B and C is) for around 510...fitting 50 Euro extra for all of these- looks like a 10 minute job to me so not worth it..

The LED screen is much brighter, sharper, easier to see/read in bright sunlight especially. And it starts up instantly. The non-LED needs a few seconds for the screen to reach full brightness.

Fitting is a little more than 10mins, took me about 45-50 mins, especially if you want to be as careful as possible to avoid marking trim, etc. Plus you may need to do some VAG COM coding. The unit will work without doing so but certain features may not, such as the steering wheel controls.

If you want to save money the non-LED is fine. I'm assuming mine is the non-LED as it's 18 months old but I've never had a problem.

IMG_0461.jpg

a0b20e91.jpg

@ JoeA3 - Does the Version C have more colour options/themes?

is the mapping software good on these? What company is behind it? Tom tom/navteq etc

Also, if I want bluetooth to work with this unit, is the VW premium bt module the only option?

also, I assume that you dont have to have the nav cd running for it to work? i.e can you listen to a cd while running the sat nav? can you load the sat nav maps to the hd?

@ JoeA3 - Does the Version C have more colour options/themes?

I don't actually know - I don't think so to be honest... I think it's just the hardware that's different, colour schemes, etc are the same. A version B running the latest firmware is pretty much identical to a version C (screen quality aside) AFAIK.

It's basically like TV's... the non-LED is akin to a standard LCD television, whereas the LED version is like the newer slimmer LED tellys! I'm sure that if you're used to the non-LED it will look perfectly fine.

A quick way of telling if a unit is a version C without turning it on is if the top right button has a star symbol rather than an "i".

is the mapping software good on these? What company is behind it? Tom tom/navteq etc

Also, if I want bluetooth to work with this unit, is the VW premium bt module the only option?

also, I assume that you dont have to have the nav cd running for it to work? i.e can you listen to a cd while running the sat nav? can you load the sat nav maps to the hd?

Mapping looks reasonably good to me and I've used a TomTom app on my iPhone before this. First thing I noticed missing though was the newest section of the M6 motorway (Ballinasloe-Galway). I think the mapping comes from Navteq. Mine has the latest maps (V7), and VW release updated maps a couple times a year. I love how it integrates with the MFD screen, which tells you what road/street you are on and gives the turn direction symbols (and North/south/east/west direction) without even needing to look at the radio.

I'm not too well up on the BT options. My car has it fitted from factory. Older versions of VW bluetooth were rSap only, which meant they didn't work with iPhones.
    I've read that the FISCON bluetooth also works with it.

EDIT: Yes, the maps are loaded onto the HDD. The unit can play CD/DVD while simultaneously navigating.

Okay, just did a trial run on this..removed and re installed the standard vw head unit in my car with no probs..so is it safe to assume I'll have no bother installing the rns510?

What about the sat nav ariel ..is this straight forward/ simple to fit? I assume it plugs into the rear of the unit?

Edit..while it was an easy job, I broke 2 of the clips at the rear of the lower panel fasia surrounding the aircon temp dials..these are incredibly weak,,like paper nearly..but still fitted back no worries.

Just plugs and plays. A bit of sticky back plastic and plant the ariel as high up behind the dash as possible. Mines up the back of the air vent casing and it's never had a problem getting a GPS lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just plugs and plays. A bit of sticky back plastic and plant the ariel as high up behind the dash as possible. Mines up the back of the air vent casing and it's never had a problem getting a GPS lock.

Does your ipod connect to yours for your music???

Advertisement