Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

building your own home

• 21-02-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am looking at building my house and I have a site in Cavan where I am from We have mortgage approval for 190000, I am looking at both options of direct labour where I can assign myself as the builder and getting a builder. I am a plumber by profession so I have a fair grasp of what's needed in building a house. What I want to know is with todays regulations will 190000 get me in the door for a house of 2500sqft.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Moved from Site Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Very very very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I'm finally starting my build. I'm also a plumber and building a house 2550sqft. have prices ranging from €200000 to €250000 we decided on the builder at 250000 brought it sown to match the other prices and up ed the price by upgrading the insulation and doors, stairs etc.

We will also save a further €10000 by plumbing it myself so it'll be finished for about €240000.

We looked at doing it by direct labour but it's a lot harder to deal with the banks for the sake of a few grand.

Best of luck with your build

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnwstafford

BigGuy82 wrote: »
    I am looking at building my house and I have a site in Cavan where I am from We have mortgage approval for 190000, I am looking at both options of direct labour where I can assign myself as the builder and getting a builder. I am a plumber by profession so I have a fair grasp of what's needed in building a house. What I want to know is with todays regulations will 190000 get me in the door for a house of 2500sqft.
    Thanks

A very good friend of mine is building a 2800sqft as we speak in Wexford. I'm keeping a very close eye on the situation as I'm literally about to break ground myself only over the road from him next month.

The QS he is using priced 180K and that's including 20K contingency (this price includes 5K for a kitchen). The roof is on and slated and the windows are going in this week. He has change (albeit very small) from 50K. The QS has only been out by 1 bag of cement according to my friend so everything is coming in on budget. He's an electrician by trade and has gone down the road where he is the builder - he's up checking everything out every day. He has not encountered any probs at the mo and if things keep going they way they are, he'll come in at the 160K mark.

One thing I will say though is this (I've heard this from a lot of people): The yoyo's are all eat'n up when you go inside the house so if he doesn't keep things simple, he could very well miss his budget.

Hopefully that'll give you a bit of an indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigGuy82

Cheers lads, its a fine balance, no point in having a fine looking house on the outside and then cheaply finished inside

• Advertisement

He has change from 50k for what is completed?

So foundation and walls, roof and windows for less than 50k?

893bet wrote: »
    He has change from 50k for what is completed?

So foundation and walls, roof and windows for less than 50k?

That's correct.

That's correct.

That is incredible to be honest. What size a house?

I say this as I am going direct labour. With a very simple design, got the windows at cost price and still spent significantly more than that.

Edit: just seen its 2800.

I don't see how it's even possible without significant corners being cut.

893bet wrote: »
    That is incredible to be honest. What size a house?

I say this as I am going direct labour. With a very simple design, got the windows at cost price and still spent significantly more than that.

Honeslty 893be, that's what it has cost. I was sitting with him two weeks ago and he ran all costs by me. One thing to rem, he's in the building trade and is calling in a few favors.

It's a bungalow with two bedrooms in the roof, no dormer, only two Veluxes. He's keeping everything simple and is getting everything at a good price. But yea, I'm not trying to prove anything in this post, just putting it out there what it is costing.

To plaster the whole inside and make it airtight is next on his list and that's going to be 20K in or around that mark.

I'm building a 2 storey 220m2 house and I hope to get out on 200K including a 10K kitchen. I'm not going to be shrimping on anything. I'll put up a post on boards when I get into it and keep people informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'd say a 5k kitchen will look fairly weak in 2800 sq ft house

• Advertisement

Honeslty 893be, that's what it has cost. I was sitting with him two weeks ago and he ran all costs by me. One thing to rem, he's in the building trade and is calling in a few favors.

It's a bungalow with two bedrooms in the roof, no dormer, only two Veluxes. He's keeping everything simple and is getting everything at a good price. But yea, I'm not trying to prove anything in this post, just putting it out there what it is costing.

To plaster the whole inside and make it airtight is next on his list and that's going to be 20K in or around that mark.

I'm building a 2 storey 220m2 house and I hope to get out on 200K including a 10K kitchen. I'm not going to be shrimping on anything. I'll put up a post on boards when I get into it and keep people informed.

A bungalow of 2800 sq feet is pretty big and the most expensive way to build. Foot print is large and so is roof!

I have cut mine to the bone and am well above that. Would be interesting to see what u value he specified for windows, insulation in floor, etc as the price is incredible.

Would it be just as expensive to build a dormer , the cost of the roof alone, if I slashed the size of my two story to near 2000 sqft would it end up looking too skimpy, a mate of mine who is a QS told me that for a turnkey finish with tarmac piers at a fairly high spec your looking at 93euro/sqf, or in around 85 for standard/avg finish, without furnishings

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Would it be just as expensive to build a dormer , the cost of the roof alone, if I slashed the size of my two story to near 2000 sqft would it end up looking too skimpy, a mate of mine who is a QS told me that for a turnkey finish with tarmac piers at a fairly high spec your looking at 93euro/sqf, or in around 85 for standard/avg finish, without furnishings

Hi, what is included and excluded in turnkey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Hi, what is included and excluded in turnkey?

A 6 mile driveway? ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Has this Qs actually been working since 2008 ?
    Thanks
    a huge struggle imo, you might get to a rough builders finish, but that may suit your bank. First thing to do is find an assigned certifer (new building control regs) that will work with you. I would recommend you go on a passive house course, there are tradesmen courses ideal to get a guy up to speed on current methods and practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

my friend wrote: »
    A 6 mile driveway? ;)

touché my friend, my freind

I've been busy ready this book all morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had a guy on the phone yesterday wondering if you could finish a 2555ft house for under 200k. Not a chance imho. He told me he'd been out of the game here for a while.

Like, as in, 9 years out of it...............that's a lifetime.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

To be fair jws, and I'm not saying it was intentional, but it's a bit misleading to post the figures you did as an indicator, but then to come back and say that he got there by 'calling in a few favors'. It's not a great indication to the OP of the real cost.
    I'm building myself and found the numbers...incredulous (has to be word of the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I spoke to a very reputable builder the other day.

Ballpark, 100 per sqft for a builders finish, rising to 120 for a complete finish. The sky is the limit after that.

He felt you could manage it cheaper, but the finish would be very poor.

To be fair jws, and I'm not saying it was intentional, but it's a bit misleading to post the figures you did as an indicator, but then to come back and say that he got there by 'calling in a few favors'. It's not a great indication to the OP of the real cost.
    I'm building myself and found the numbers...incredulous (has to be word of the day).

Fair point to make.

I assumed that since he is in the building trade (plumber by profession), he too would be "calling in a few favors". I just explicitly mentioned later on for everyone's sake -
    one could argue that it was an oversight on my behalf - TBH, it doesn't matter to me.

BTW, some else wanted to know what spec the windows, insulation was, etc. All I know is that he has got triple glazed windows and has 150mm insulation in the floor. It's going to be an A rated house, has to be to meet current regs. Again, hope this helps.

I won't be replying to anymore follow on questions - too busy. I'll reply to the post in a month or 2 and provide details on where my friend is at and how much he has spent - if he on track to get the house done for 160 --> 180K. Hopefully he will...I'm using his costs as a metric to benchmark my costings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

a here is the problem with 'super low' building figures on the internet
    A very good friend of mine is building a 2800sqft as we speak in Wexford. I'm keeping a very close eye on the situation as I'm literally about to break ground myself only over the road from him next month.

The QS he is using priced 180K and that's including 20K contingency (this price includes 5K for a kitchen). The roof is on and slated and the windows are going in this week. He has change (albeit very small) from 50K. The QS has only been out by 1 bag of cement according to my friend so everything is coming in on budget. He's an electrician by trade and has gone down the road where he is the builder - he's up checking everything out every day. He has not encountered any probs at the mo and if things keep going they way they are, he'll come in at the 160K mark.

One thing I will say though is this (I've heard this from a lot of people): The yoyo's are all eat'n up when you go inside the house so if he doesn't keep things simple, he could very well miss his budget.

Hopefully that'll give you a bit of an indication.

Fair point to make.

I assumed that since he is in the building trade (plumber by profession), he too would be "calling in a few favors". I just explicitly mentioned later on for everyone's sake -
    one could argue that it was an oversight on my behalf - TBH, it doesn't matter to me.

BTW, some else wanted to know what spec the windows, insulation was, etc. All I know is that he has got triple glazed windows and has 150mm insulation in the floor. It's going to be an A rated house, has to be to meet current regs. Again, hope this helps.

I won't be replying to anymore follow on questions - too busy. I'll reply to the post in a month or 2 and provide details on where my friend is at and how much he has spent - if he on track to get the house done for 160 --> 180K. Hopefully he will...I'm using his costs as a metric to benchmark my costings
    maybe you'd ask him to approximate the free labour and favours, so we can assess what the real cost of the build is

180K for 2800sqft .. a bit of an 'oversight' alright

BryanF wrote: »
    Has this Qs actually been working since 2008 ?
    a huge struggle imo, you might get to a rough builders finish, but that may suit your bank. First thing to do is find an assigned certifer (new building control regs) that will work with you. I would recommend you go on a passive house course, there are tradesmen courses ideal to get a guy up to speed on current methods and practices.

this QS is working for a company pricing work like this full time as in today and yes yesterday and prob tomorrow aswell,for yor info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...it's been mentioned on here before, but I had a client Arch and his builder in today.

The client's lender is querying everything because............they're too high. They are telling the client that build costs are €65 - €85 ft/2.

I kid you not.

This is the same institution that directs you to insure to market value rebuild costs, and whose insurance 'partner' is telling you that price is €130/ft2.

Is it any wonder the system here is broken ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement