Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

quite literally shook the world.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

UNILAD-tianjin-24.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

^^^
    Apart from this actually shaking the world, it's not really interesting...it's the 5th such explosion since April because it's a shocking rotten corrupt country, lads in power don't care as long as they're getting their cut and not living beside it. The Company responsible had no licence to hold the 100s of tonnes of chemicals it had in it's warehouse, they practically joked about safety drills on their now taken down website. Such a Warehouse isin't even allowed in a public area and theirs a big Apartment complex over the road.

Best part is state media, usually they won't report these things but this explosion was so big, they've come out and said their won't be a cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Warning: Graphic content.

This article about the fate of the Jews in the Ukraine, along with the accompanying photographs is heartbreaking. Man's inhumanity to man.

Ukraine's killing centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

There are no words

Mod note: 3 year old refugee boy washed up on shore.

MAY CAUSE DISTRESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

There are no words
    There have been other photos in a similar vein going around for the past week or so.... Is this what we have come to... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not going to click on the link because I saw the pics on the news earlier and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Really really upset me. It's just so tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

cml387 wrote: »
    There are no words

You know when you look through this thread and see those striking photos from history and think to yourself, what would that have been like to be alive and witness that, it's uncomprehendable.
    This photo is the one for us, that our children will look back on in wonder at our world, and we'll always remember how we felt when we saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm not going to click on the link because I saw the pics on the news earlier and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. Really really upset me. It's just so tragic.

Likewise, saw it yesterday evening and hard a hard time composing myself. I have 2 young kids and this poor little guy is only a little bit younger than my daughter. Utterly heartbreaking. How awful must the situation be on land if you feel safer risking your life on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Same here. I have a young daughter the same age and I couldn't sleep last night thinking about that image-the poor wee boy just lying face down like that.
    He is so happy in the other pictures released of him. I'm glad we know his name, Aylan Kurdi rest in peace.

I'm been welling up at work all day and feeling so helpless. Horribly there will be more like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

That picture of the little guy face down in the water will go down in history alongside the picture of the starving child in Ethiopia with the vulchar just waiting, as two of the most harrowing images of modern times.

There is more photos of kids washed up that I was going to post, but I am uncomfortable in doing so...
    Its a mixture of respect (would the families be upset?) and the thought of those little guys lifeless bodies up on the Internet for decades - weird I know but that feeling came from nowhere - I am still trying to work it out myself.

(p.s) sorry about the chat on a photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

keano_afc wrote: »
    Likewise, saw it yesterday evening and hard a hard time composing myself. I have 2 young kids and this poor little guy is only a little bit younger than my daughter. Utterly heartbreaking. How awful must the situation be on land if you feel safer risking your life on water.

That's the reason why I was so upset. I have a son who's pretty much the same age. I know that shouldn't make the images anymore harrowing but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the reason why I was so upset. I have a son who's pretty much the same age. I know that shouldn't make the images anymore harrowing but it does.

When we look at photographs we often make emotional connection with the subject, when we do we draw on our own personal experiences to make that connection. The closer the connection the more profound the emotional impact can be, the image of the poor child (Rest in peace little one :( ) will have an emotional impact on everybody but as the parent of a child of similar age you may draw on your own emotions about your own child when looking at the image. While personal experiences do not change the harrowing image in front of you, it does alter how deeply it affects individual person looking at it.

A very simplified example of this is when you buy a picture frame for a portrait, more than likely there will be some form of picture in the frame as marketing material, when you go home you will probably take out the image and throw it in the bin and put in your photo without a second thought, but to somebody else that picture is of their mother, father, son, daughter ect.. to them the exact same image has considerably more meaning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What killed me was knowing that the little fellas mammy put those little sockies and boots on him that morning and gave him a hug not knowing what the day had in store for him, and them of course. May they RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

kceire wrote: »
    What killed me was knowing that the little fellas mammy put those little sockies and boots on him that morning and gave him a hug not knowing what the day had in store for him, and them of course. May they RIP.

This I think. We have a son around the same age. Its the familiarity of the clothes - little red T-shirt, shorts and boots - that makes it so personal for many people. Its an image that I won't forget so easily I think. I really wanted to get home to see my son this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ok that just made it hit home a little bit harder :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This I think. We have a son around the same age. Its the familiarity of the clothes - little red T-shirt, shorts and boots - that makes it so personal for many people. Its an image that I won't forget so easily I think. I really wanted to get home to see my son this evening.

Same here. Just packed him off for big school on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

This x 1, 000. And the image of him face down, arms to the side-my 3 year old girl sleeps like that sometimes, it's like he's asleep himself.
    I'm just so so sad and upset for him. I really hate the world right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

what devastated me was how alone he looked and helpless - poor little guy. He had no part in the situation that drove his family to such desparation, he just followed his mother and father. I wander how long he was lying there, what I was doing when he was struggling in the water calling for his mommy, was I watching a show on netflix or maybe eating my dinner? I can't get over this little fella just lying there never to grow up because of the way the world is.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Okay folks, I understand it's a touching subject but we need to stop the chat in this thread now.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Paris isn't the only place with innocent deaths:

10407533_769240466500413_8398184820643971989_n.jpg?oh=773cd69fafc4fea71a00e10a578c1afc&oe=56B82627

11347_769240496500410_1829922814568587725_n.jpg?oh=556da55fa379764b6f3ffde2c1c7a497&oe=56AF762B

I'm going to keep this one as a link, it's (I find) more distressing:
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10460704_769240523167074_5599805147506551931_n.jpg?oh=e594c8de0c5152b1d5682e5355494ee1&oe=56F087BF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Context?! There's no point posting random pics with no links

Sorry! It's Gaza, as Tombstone pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Surprised we've no defining image of the Paris attacks up here yet.
    There were a few doing the rounds, ones of injured concert goers, police surrounding the buildings and CCTV stills, but this image below will stay with me.
    It is the crowd at the Bataclan minutes before the attack by terrorists on Friday night.
    Having been to many concerts, I know the feeling of elation and joy of seeing your music heroes play their tunes after a hard days work... and a Friday at that. The look on their faces... oblivious to the terror they were to endure:

f9e9ffbd141a270.jpg

(image in here with article on Bataclan
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/20/bataclan-witnesses-recount-horror-paris-attacks)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^ there's a second one of those from a slightly different angle, and you can see a dude with long hair behind the merch stand (extreme right, where the t shirts are pinned up); that guy was killed.

• There's photos showing inside the theatre after the attack that stand in such stark contrast to the happy smiling faces before. I'm not going to link to it, but I'm sure it would be easily found with a quick Google search.

Out of everything coming from that whole night, the one that will stick with me the most is everyone scrambling out of the side entrance of the theatre, with a (I think, pregnant) woman dangling from the windowsill, begging the people standing on the 'sill itself to help her up, which one of them does, climbing back in to save her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There's photos showing inside the theatre after the attack that stand in such stark contrast to the happy smiling faces before. I'm not going to link to it, but I'm sure it would be easily found with a quick Google search.

Out of everything coming from that whole night, the one that will stick with me the most is everyone scrambling out of the side entrance of the theatre, with a (I think, pregnant) woman dangling from the windowsill, begging the people standing on the 'sill itself to help her up, which one of them does, climbing back in to save her.
    Yes that woman is pregnant, both her and the unborn baby are ok, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Used to love this thread, what's happened to it - too many world shaking events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

corblimey wrote: »
    Used to love this thread, what's happened to it - too many world shaking events?

People are less easily shocked.

Advertisement