Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell and Back

• 07-07-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

Has anybody here done hell and back.. just wondering how did you find it? how did you prepare and what did you wear?

Comments

I did it in february, I run and do crossfit, so I wasn't entirely unprepared physically.

I absolutely loved every minute of it. It was minus 3 the morning I did it and the place had frozen over. It. Was. COLD. Physically, I think it's really bloody hard, but anyone could get through it. Psychologically you can't really prepare yourself for it, you have to fully embrace what you're doing and laugh at the madness of it all, because if you let it into your head at all - you're gone! I saw a few pretty fit looking people completely break down. I saw one woman, who is fitter, faster, and stronger than the average woman - actually cry. I, on the other hand, look like a complete lunatic in the pictures with the big smiley head on me.

I wore long tight leggings and a long sleeve tight top. I wore a tech t-shirt over that because of the cold but it did little good. Top tip: Wear latex gloves under regular gloves. It will keep the worst of the wet out. DO NOT wear loose sweatpants or sweatshorts. Anything that will hold onto moisture. They WILL fall down!!!!!!

If you can get old football boots, they'd be the best thing to wear on your feets. I wore old runners which had no grip on them, I slipped and naturally reached out to grab something, I grabbed a barbed wire fence and nicely ripped my hand open :D So tetanus shot for moi. Along with a fcuk load of Arnica because my limbs were black and blue.

Great craic though, seriously!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

I have done around 8 of them so far , there brilliant and push your body ! My training consists of plenty of hill running , and compound lifts squat , bench , Deadlift etc . A lot of the course is running up hill so I would recommend trail running runners , I wear a normal training top leggings and shorts ( less the better to be honest ). I have also done the winter ones which is ALOT harder on the body as there is water and the legs just go numb !. Give it a bash and have a laugh ! There is always somebody there to give you a hand if you need it. Any other questions just drop me a pm and I would be happy to help !.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

thanks guys! that's a great help :) I must invest in a good pair of runners.

izzyregan wrote: »
    thanks guys! that's a great help :) I must invest in a good pair of runners.

I wouldn't, tbh, they will be destroyed. You can put them in the wash of course, but that's an awful waste of new runners :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

I wouldn't, tbh, they will be destroyed. You can put them in the wash of course, but that's an awful waste of new runners :(

Sure I need a new pair anyway. The grips on my ones arent the best. So like above said might get ''trail runners'' or look in n to something similar. I already have the compression leggings and under armour type long sleeved tops. So just need to start extra training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Get suitable runners but bear in mind you'll only ever be able to use them again for something like Hell & Back. They'll be destroyed with mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I did my first one in June H&B Apollo and loved it. I would recommend hill running as part of your training, i didn't do any and felt it on the day.

Definitely buy trail runners the extra grip will come in handy. As for your runners being destroyed, stick them in the washing machine and they will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Belfunk wrote: »
    I did my first one in June H&B Apollo and loved it. I would recommend hill running as part of your training, i didn't do any and felt it on the day.

Definitely buy trail runners the extra grip will come in handy. As for your runners being destroyed, stick them in the washing machine and they will be fine.

On a cold wash or else the glue holding runners together may be compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Get suitable runners but bear in mind you'll only ever be able to use them again for something like Hell & Back. They'll be destroyed with mud.

I used old trainers thinking exactly this, but they went in the wash and came out clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Definitely wouldn't buy new runners, everyone I see at these things is wearing old runners. I stick them in the wash and keep them in the utility in a plastic bag as my 'hell and back' runners! I have done 4, I was terrified I wouldn't be 'fit enough' for my first but the support you get from people around you is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

A very badly named adventure race. It's actually not that hard to complete
    I did one in Feb 2012.
    Was basically a 10km run with an obstacle thrown in every 1km or so, and, at €56 and another €7 to park, was very over priced.
    T shirt given was of poor quality.
    Food was good
    Showers were crap.

On the gear side of things, depends on the time of year, if it's any time other than summer, be sure to wear full base layers for upper and lower body, shorts and a tight, light t shirt that won't absorb too much moisture.
    Wear old, worn in runners and duct tape them to your ankles.
    Wear gloves also, but not woollen ones.

I'm a fairly big lad, weighing around 100kg.
    I cycle a lot so would be quite aerobically fit.
    I did no specific training for Hell and Back and did it in about 1 hour 27 mins.

I'd highly recommend doing Turf Warrior in Killary for a better challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

Did it yesterday. Was dreading it but really enjoyed it. Supposed to have a team of 6 but only 2 of us did it in the end. I run (10ks mainly) slowly and do yoga (which actually really helped for balance and things where you needed upper body strength) and was able for it.

I was dreading it as i thought it would be elite athletes but there were overweight people in their 50s doing it. And did really well. they were smart at the best way to approach obstacles. It's a mental as much as a physical challenge. the challenge is sustained - don't really get a break. very well organised. water and a bar at the half way mark.

i would wear only old stuff unless you are rich. i brought my clothes home thinking i would get the dirt out. Waste of time. Left them out in the rain in the hope that would rinse out the hard muck. didn't work. everything went in the bin except the bra. leggings ended up ripped in the barbed wire so i wouldn't wear anything good.

For women doing it, bring spare underwear. most go into the showers in their underwear (i am sure there are men out there enjoying that mental image). a sponge is a good thing to bring too. Don't forget your towel either

I wore old runners and the grip wasn't great but my friend wore lidl ones (€20) and they were perfect.

Stiff today but no bruises or muscle strains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm a fairly big lad, weighing around 100kg.
    I cycle a lot so would be quite aerobically fit.
    I did no specific training for Hell and Back and did it in about 1 hour 27 mins.

I'd highly recommend doing Turf Warrior in Killary for a better challenge.

This post makes me feel a lot better, thank you.

On my facebook feed on saturday evening appeared a series of pictures from some of my friends who did it on Saturday. Two of my friends, big guys, dont work out or exercise really, one a smoker, completed it. And I was amazed, thinking they had done a load of training, and not mentioned it.

Inspector Coptoor, without offending you or belittling your time one bit, 10k is 6 miles. I can walk 6 miles in about 90 minutes. I know there are obstacles which add time, and expend energy, and I weigh a bit more but not a lot than you, but It seems to me, calling it hell and back is a bit of an exaggeration in toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

syklops wrote: »

On my facebook feed on saturday evening appeared a series of pictures from some of my friends who did it on Saturday. Two of my friends, big guys, dont work out or exercise really, one a smoker, completed it. And I was amazed, thinking they had done a load of training, and not mentioned it.

Inspector Coptoor, without offending you or belittling your time one bit, 10k is 6 miles. I can walk 6 miles in about 90 minutes. I know there are obstacles which add time, and expend energy, and I weigh a bit more but not a lot than you, but It seems to me, calling it hell and back is a bit of an exaggeration in toughness.

Didnt do this yesterday but have done it before. I have to contradict you. As a person who runs 10k in about 40 mins, your 10k time is of no relevance to your hell and back time. Lots of very steep uphill, traffic at obstacles, obstacles themselves etc add massively and a time of 1.27 is a decent time in my opinion

Yeh it's not just a 10k walk. I found it ok, as my post above, I'd be fairly fit. In February the problem was the cold. People couldn't handle being that cold. I'm not sure how the summer/autumn ones work but the February one it was straight into ice water, and at below zero temperatures soaking wet from the start it isn't easy. Then you're in and out of more and more ice water with no relief from summer heat. I didn't mind it and found it all very funny, but it's absolutely not easy like.

Well done on coming out without bruises orl.

This is how my entire body looked after I did it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

That's class! I was under the impression that they were a bit of a plod-along but that's a serious bruise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

syklops wrote: »

As stated already, 10km walk/run time has very little relevance.
    I'd do a 10km run in 57 mins or thereabouts.
    The terrain is NOT concrete/road, when I did it, it was February and the fields were wet, slippy and mucky.
    The course goes up the mini sugar loaf and plenty of inclines.

I agree it shouldn't be called Hell and Back though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hi

Hope its okay to bring this thread back rather than start a new one.

Considering or should I say decided to give this a go in Jan 2016. I've general fitness levels that need improving.....

Myself and my partner have decided to do it together, with 4 kids in our mid 30s we thought it would be good to work on something like this together and 'achieve' something. She has zero fitness levels but weight wise is in good shape.

For anyone who has done this are we aiming too high here, or if we do a fair bit of work for the next 3 months getting to more moderate levels of fitness is this suitable?

Readings on it suggest fitness helps but its more a mental challenge which if true suggests we are more that suitable targets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is there any on between now and Xmas? Or anything similar to hell and back

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭somofagun

Have signed up for the one in Co Tyrone on the 24th May. Looking forward to it and have been at the gym doing weights etc to get the upper body strengthened a bit. Might have to run about the fields a few evenings after reading a few posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Panrich

orl wrote: »
    Did it yesterday. Was dreading it but really enjoyed it. Supposed to have a team of 6 but only 2 of us did it in the end. I run (10ks mainly) slowly and do yoga (which actually really helped for balance and things where you needed upper body strength) and was able for it.

I was dreading it as i thought it would be elite athletes but there were overweight people in their 50s doing it. And did really well. they were smart at the best way to approach obstacles. It's a mental as much as a physical challenge. the challenge is sustained - don't really get a break. very well organised. water and a bar at the half way mark.

i would wear only old stuff unless you are rich. i brought my clothes home thinking i would get the dirt out. Waste of time. Left them out in the rain in the hope that would rinse out the hard muck. didn't work. everything went in the bin except the bra. leggings ended up ripped in the barbed wire so i wouldn't wear anything good.

For women doing it, bring spare underwear. most go into the showers in their underwear (i am sure there are men out there enjoying that mental image). a sponge is a good thing to bring too. Don't forget your towel either

I wore old runners and the grip wasn't great but my friend wore lidl ones (€20) and they were perfect.

Stiff today but no bruises or muscle strains.

It sounds like a challenge that I could get on board with. Do the first 5K, have a few scoops and then finish it off in great form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

// it's sunday morning and i feel like necro'ing - i hope the following essay/wall of text will help people that are considering doing a mud-run in the future // my name is luis and i've done my fair share of runs, i practice sports/x-sports regularly and if you feel like putting my gorilla face to the name, this is me coming out of the ice bath

mud-runs will be as much as a challenge as you want to make them; i was born in mozambique, lived all my life in portugal and, despite the fact i'm in ireland for over a decade ( and had plenty of time to climbatize, ) doing a mud-run in february would equate to running naked only wearing a tarzan-thong in the middle of the artic chasing penguins and swimming with majestical sea creatures; i'm the guy that goes 5/3 wetsuit in the middle of the "irish summer" and can only stay in the water for 50mins ( tops ! )

physical preparation isn't hard; if you're starting from scratch, make sure you free up 2h30min of your busy week schedule; days 1 ( and 2 ) jog for 30mins then do cardio for another 30mins; day 3 do cardio and, if you can fit another 30min, jog too; do 1 workout day, 1 rest day ( workout monday/wednesday/friday, rest the other days, for example )

there isn't much mental preparation; the obstacles will take you out from your comfort zone and if you made the first 2-3, you can surely make the rest-- at some stage, you'll be saying to yourself "well, i crawled through mud, went under an ice-bath and carried a log; going up this rope can't be that much harder"

i always book a couple nights at a nearby b&b; i don't have to drive all the way down on the day of the event and your body begs for a warm shower right after the run;

the night before, eat lightly, avoid drinking ( much ) and eat whatever is your regular fruit/food natural laxative ( yeah, i said it )

the day of the event eat a light breakfast, keep hydrated and leave to the event site fully geared : i prefer long-sleeve and leggings ( as opposed to shorts/t-shirts ) because that extra layer of protection might come handy if you grind your exposed skin against wood/metal that other people have passed before; i wear swim shorts ( under leggings, not like superman; ) some people prefer no gloves or mid-finger but i did a lot of downhill/free-ride and just got used to wear full-finger gloves; a good pair of socks and trail runners ( the first to avoid blisters, the second to provide grip ) to complete; all this gear can be picked up fairly cheap on websites and even stores like lidl/aldi have them compression/synthetic gear for sale; avoid cotton at all costs as it will retain the water and it can be dangerous if the weather is cold and your body can't control the shock; hypothermia is not to be joked with

this is not a race, it's a challenge; do the run at your own pace and walk sections if you have to; it'll be mostly cross country so you need to be careful where you step; make sure your "runner's loop" is well tight so you don't lose your shoes when you have to cross mud-pits; when you get to the obstacles, don't think too much and don't let the CNS kick you back and push you back to the "comfort zone" - look at the obstacle, think "how will you do it" ( instead of "can you do it" ) and tackle it; plain and simple-- make use of ALL the stop stations; drink a bit of water, eat a cookie, and keep moving

most races now have protein shakes, fruit and water at the end of it; replenish as fast as possible and then move to the rinse showers

there's a post up there insinuating the eye candy for men but that goes both ways; if you're very self-conscious ( and a lot of us are ) by the time you finish your race and move to the showers ( which are usually very close to your changing station ) just rinse most of your mud out from yourself, DO NOT take of your shoes and socks ( unless you can stand on one foot and put the shoe back again ) and move to your changing station

you'll want to have a prepared dry-bag with the following inside : 1 towel, 1 t-shirt, 1 sweater ( probably you wore it this morning on the way to the event ) underwear ( panties/boxers, bra/men's-bra, i don't know ) and sandals/crocs; change into your warm clothes and put the muddy ones on your dry-bag; the reason you bring sandals/crocs is because most of the runs are hosted in the middle of farms or forests; if you change into your good socks/runners and by the time you get to the car you might have an extra pair of muddy/wet runners and socks;

collect your finisher t-shirt, grab yourself a coffee and get to the car; i always have a medi-kit prepared with plasters, disinfectants, bandages, etc. also, make sure you'll have more protein/carbs ( bananas, protein-shakes ) to consume and, very important, pain-killers and anti-inflammatories; doms ( delayed onset muscle soreness ) will kick in either sooner or later, body will produce chemicals, soreness and inflammation will appear; this will kick in, regardless of your fitness level; i always decide to bypass the process by taking an adult dosage of neurofen and, if the conditions were particularly harsh, pain-killers too.

drive back to the b&b, rinse your gear if you get a chance, get yourself a deserved shower and go out for a nice meal; depending on the intensity you took the challenge with, you might ( or not ) be fast asleep by 7pm that evening; enjoy your deserved rest without the thought of having to drive all the way back to your place ( if you live far from the event ) and you can think about that tomorrow

i recommend anyone to do the challenge; at least once; this is how we grow as a person : we throw ourselves out of the comfort zone and experience something different; weather we like it or not, it's a step forward to being a better version of ourselves; the camaraderie and help that you experience in these runs is second to none and if you're thinking about doing it, then stop thinking and just go and do it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

So did you win then? lol

I've read of navy seals doing less prep for special ops missions! :P

So did you win then? lol

I've read of navy seals doing less prep for special ops missions! :P

I know it this all seems way over the top, borderline with tryharding; and that must have came out with a very condescending tone; the usual mentality is to "fek it will wing it ah a bit of laugh aye?" and then injuries happen and people leave with their 20/20 hindsight

saw people freezing and quit after the ice-bath ( which is amongst the first obstacles, when it's not the very first, ) saw broken ankles, broken nails, lost shoes, deep cuts;

nor only i can't afford not going to work monday morning, i also might not want to stay idle the following weekend;

i try to have at least one outdoor activity every month; some people like to drink, other's not that much

nothing against people that don't take much care when going for a mud-run; i just don't want to do it this time only, i plan to do this for another while, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I know it this all seems way over the top, borderline with tryharding; and that must have came out with a very condescending tone; the usual mentality is to "fek it will wing it ah a bit of laugh aye?" and then injuries happen and people leave with their 20/20 hindsight

saw people freezing and quit after the ice-bath ( which is amongst the first obstacles, when it's not the very first, ) saw broken ankles, broken nails, lost shoes, deep cuts;

nor only i can't afford not going to work monday morning, i also might not want to stay idle the following weekend;

i try to have at least one outdoor activity every month; some people like to drink, other's not that much

nothing against people that don't take much care when going for a mud-run; i just don't want to do it this time only, i plan to do this for another while, that's all

Ah, I was only playin with you mate! ;)

I have taken both approaches to those kind of events myself... high prep and low prep!

I tend to think your fitness levels and training methodology are the most important prep. If you train in a comprehensive manner, all year round, you should be able to wing most things! (a bit anyway)

It is fun to test yourself, to see if your training can cope with surprises and unexpected factors! Part of the fun and challenge of it I think... :)

ah yeah, i know that - like i said, didn't want to sound like a tryhard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

did anyone try the night time one this weekend? how'd they get on?

I've done 3 to date and always enjoy them

• Registered Users Posts: 25 peckerdara

Anyone doing it this weekend? It's going to hot. Not the best conditions - although the ice bath will be welcome ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

peckerdara wrote: »
    Anyone doing it this weekend? It's going to hot. Not the best conditions - although the ice bath will be welcome ;-)

it reminds me of the one from a few years ago, heat was a bit of an issue, I slowed down a bit and used the water stations to excess nearly!.

just take your time and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 peckerdara

It was very hot at the weekend and not enough water on the course. Some people really struggled in the heat. Heard the course was very busy in the afternoon. Best advice is to go out in an earlier wave.

Advertisement