Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi AntiVirus,

Yeah I have setup my Gmail and Hotmail accounts the only one thats giving me any hassle is the Yahoo one.

Vodafone seems to have customized some of the settings on the Yahoo connection but I have used all the variants that are available online and it still doesnt work.

At the moment the settings on the Yahoo! mail settings are

Incoming email server

vodafone.imap.yahoo.com:993:1

and the outgoing smtp email server is

vodafone.smtp.yahoo.com:465:1

I tried using the settings I had on my only 5800 but no joy on that front either

cheers,
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Hi AntiVirus,

Yeah I have setup my Gmail and Hotmail accounts the only one thats giving me any hassle is the Yahoo one.

Vodafone seems to have customized some of the settings on the Yahoo connection but I have used all the variants that are available online and it still doesnt work.

At the moment the settings on the Yahoo! mail settings are

Incoming email server

vodafone.imap.yahoo.com:993:1

and the outgoing smtp email server is

vodafone.smtp.yahoo.com:465:1

I tried using the settings I had on my only 5800 but no joy on that front either

cheers,
    James

You don't need to enter in the Yahoo mail settings manually. Just select Yahoo from the email accounts options and enter your email address and your password, thats all.

Anyway the servers you want are:

Incoming: winmo.imap.mail.yahoo.com:993:1

Outgoing: winmo.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.465:1

Thanks for the help antivirus, but still no joy.

I have tried everything I have tried the settings you gave me and the ones that are there on the phone.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a yahoo.com account rather than and .ie or .co.uk

Anyways thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If I recall correctly, there was an issue with yahoo when WP7 launched. The settings were downloading massive amounts of data. I thought it was resolved but it might be worth contacting Yahoo as there might be a different way of setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Are you using @yahoo.com ? Might be worth trying just your username, or putting username@yahoo.com if you haven't tried that yet.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help antivirus, but still no joy.

I have tried everything I have tried the settings you gave me and the ones that are there on the phone.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a yahoo.com account rather than and .ie or .co.uk

Anyways thanks for the help

I have a yahoo.com account and it works fine. The only difference is that I'm on 3.

oops double post

Cheers for the help folks I went through the yahoo help site and the pop address port is 995 that and I needed to put the @yahoo.com with my username.

So thanks a mil one and all

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

First couple of weeks with the Lumia and I have to admit, I really like it so far. However, the battery is a piece of s***. I don't suffer from the issues that other users were having where the maximum capacity was below 1000 (mine is around 1400). I have to disable 3G and Wi-fi most of the day and still just about get one day - this is using the music player on the train for around 2 hours.

Other than that I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a new smartphone.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    First couple of weeks with the Lumia and I have to admit, I really like it so far. However, the battery is a piece of s***. I don't suffer from the issues that other users were having where the maximum capacity was below 1000 (mine is around 1400). I have to disable 3G and Wi-fi most of the day and still just about get one day - this is using the music player on the train for around 2 hours.

Other than that I would recommend this phone to anyone looking for a new smartphone.

Thankfully i don't have to disable 3G or WiFi on my Trophy. It's one of the things i brag about to my android loving friends, that i don't need to worry about these things.

Unless nokia fixes the problem i definately won't buy one, the Trophy is a year older and with a lower capacity battery and i have no problem getting 1.5 days out of it. I can get over 2 if i put on battery saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I'm thankful that I've almost always got a netbook in my bag, great for a quick charge.

I'm really missing the Internet Sharing feature from the Optimus 7. I don't see why its not on the Lumia yet.

There's probably no technical reason why they don't do tethering. It's probably just to appease the carriers until they find a way to selectively enable it. I.E. so you don't get tethering unless you pay for it.

hadoken13 wrote: »

You could still have a problem with your battery. Fully charge up your phone at night and before going to bed unplug it, check what the % usage is over night and report back here.

My usage overnight is about .8% per hour on the 3 network with push email activated on one gmail account and one MS exchange account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

TBi wrote: »
    There's probably no technical reason why they don't do tethering. It's probably just to appease the carriers until they find a way to selectively enable it. I.E. so you don't get tethering unless you pay for it.

I don't think that's the problem. I think internet sharing in Lumia 800 is missing drivers or something. Vodafone HTC Radar and my Vodafone HTC Titan both have tethering.

So I think Nokia has to be the one that gets this out as its not available on any Nokia WP7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

This phone (and the 710) are now for sale on o2.ie. As one might expect from O2, the plans are pretty terrible

This phone (and the 710) are now for sale on o2.ie. As one might expect from O2, the plans are pretty terrible

Though 269 euro is pretty good on prepay for a high end windows phone!!

Their data allowance is pretty crap, but you can get it on a 6 months contract for 99 euro which I think is pretty awesome.

Though 45 euro a month + a data add on would turn out to be quite expensive per month

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Finally the OH took the plunge after much cajoling..Ordered via Amazon.de and awaiting to see how long it takes. Together with a Car Cradle for SGS2 came to 433e

Forgot to order with a MicroSIM cutter..:mad:

Though 269 euro is pretty good on prepay for a high end windows phone!!

Their data allowance is pretty crap, but you can get it on a 6 months contract for 99 euro which I think is pretty awesome.

Though 45 euro a month + a data add on would turn out to be quite expensive per month

where are you getting 269 from? showing up as 429..unless someone goofed somewhere earlier and put up wrong prices:pac:

vicM wrote: »
    where are you getting 269 from? showing up as 429..unless someone goofed somewhere earlier and put up wrong prices:pac:

I was on about the 710 :)

I was on about the 710 :)

I was going to argue its not high end but bar the lack of AMOLED its actually too good to be midrange. The 269 is quite good therefore

• Advertisement

I was going to argue its not high end but bar the lack of AMOLED its actually too good to be midrange. The 269 is quite good therefore

The LCD in it from the videos I seen wasn't bad. Its got a clear black filter on it so it doesn't look half bad, not for 269 euro's anyway.

Sony Ericsson Xperia ray is the only other phone at that price, 269 closest thing under at 200 to get is the Ace which lets face it isn't a great phone, for extra 70 euro you would get a phone worth buying for the OS and Harwdware.

Its also better value than Omnia W (if you really want the AMOLED), and HTC Radar + you get Nokia Maps with it which I know some people cant stand bing maps due to lack of support for for POI's and in general lack of support for Ireland.

Also for some one maybe who doesn't know should they try WP7 but don't want to pay a lot this is a good option as it doesn't sacrifice features for money.

Once the 610 comes out it will be able to match the like of Galaxy Ace and maybe Mini 2 in price points so that's another new market :)

Meteor said they were going to put the phone online an hour ago. That was in the morning.

Still no sign of them :S

The LCD in it from the videos I seen wasn't bad. Its got a clear black filter on it so it doesn't look half bad, not for 269 euro's anyway.

Sony Ericsson Xperia ray is the only other phone at that price, 269 closest thing under at 200 to get is the Ace which lets face it isn't a great phone, for extra 70 euro you would get a phone worth buying for the OS and Harwdware.

Its also better value than Omnia W (if you really want the AMOLED), and HTC Radar + you get Nokia Maps with it which I know some people cant stand bing maps due to lack of support for for POI's and in general lack of support for Ireland.

Also for some one maybe who doesn't know should they try WP7 but don't want to pay a lot this is a good option as it doesn't sacrifice features for money.

Once the 610 comes out it will be able to match the like of Galaxy Ace and maybe Mini 2 in price points so that's another new market :)

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 710 gets Nokia Drive app. Does it get Nokia maps instead of bing ? In any case, I would consider this to be a midrange WP. And my original comment was about the plans, which are truly crap (41 quid per month and you get 150mb ? Seriously in this day and age ?)

Meteor said they were going to put the phone online an hour ago. That was in the morning.

Still no sign of them :S

There now. And it's frickin' cheap!!!!

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 710 gets Nokia Drive app.

It does get Nokia Drive, its gets everything its bigger brother the Lumia 800 gets. Even the Lumia 610 gets all the Nokia app's :)

There now. And it's frickin' cheap!!!!

O2 is offering the phone for less with higher price plans. Meteor, higher phone price lower price plans

Finally the OH took the plunge after much cajoling..Ordered via Amazon.de and awaiting to see how long it takes. Together with a Car Cradle for SGS2 came to 433e

Forgot to order with a MicroSIM cutter..:mad:

It's actually very easy to do with a good pair of scissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

The Meteor online site now has an option for people switching from Meteor PAYG to Bill Pay. Does anyone know how smooth this process is? Like will the sim card be deactivated or anything for a while during the change over?

seadnamac wrote: »
    The Meteor online site now has an option for people switching from Meteor PAYG to Bill Pay. Does anyone know how smooth this process is? Like will the sim card be deactivated or anything for a while during the change over?

They send you out 2 new sim cards. One will be your actual sim card to bill pay. Then you ring them up and ask them to move your number onto that sim card. Will take an hour or so to move, when I got this done for my mum it was quite quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

They send you out 2 new sim cards. One will be your actual sim card to bill pay. Then you ring them up and ask them to move your number onto that sim card. Will take an hour or so to move, when I got this done for my mum it was quite quick.

Cool thanks. And what's the other sim card for?

Advertisement