Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm a bit behind, but the Thanksgiving episode was great - really felt like old community. "...they get really into push-ups"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I enjoyed this episode, although I think the show has lost it's innovation and is just rehashing old ideas.

A good rehash is still enjoyable to watch though, I loved Pierce behaving like a human and I genuinely felt for Magnitude when they de-popped him.

The product placement thing was funny but the KFC placement from season 2 was infinitely funnier, especially Chang with the sandwich.

I thought that the rich guy deciding to enroll because he wants to be treated like a normal guy after everything they'd just shown of him was slightly lazy. The fraternity was good, primarily the Dean's reaction at the end but Abed has already done the college movie trope thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Characters/style seems more "happy endings" the more I watch. This is a bad thing, even though I do enjoy H.E.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was sure Magnitude was dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Magnitude cant die, he's a one-man party!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Magnitude should have been confined to one episode. Terrible character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, isn't Greendale so WACKY and ZANY! High-larious! :rolleyes:

Haha, god, watching Season 4 is a rollercoaster; ups, downs, but mainly just an desire to vomit. Just when you think the show has recaptured some of its magic, you get episodes like this Friday's clanger - an odd pastiche of what made Community so enjoyable, but ultimately just a poor episode.

I think it's time to walk away from this show; I would have given it until the season break, but given Season 4 is a short, 13-episode run I might as well do it at this natural mid-point. Clearly the show has jumped the shark big-time, and while I'll stick around on this thread in case things take a sudden turn for the better, there's no point continuing to watch when I clearly don't enjoy it anymore. RIP Community :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I really liked that episode tbh, Loved the Jeff/Peirce moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Thought this episode had a real season 1 feel to it - it showed them in class, the Dean wore normal clothes, Pierce was used well... I liked it. Nice having all the secondary characters around too.

What's the joke about glitter? I know they dropped it in a few episodes, but it feels like they're trying to make it a running gag and pretending its been around ages.

This week wasn't the worst episode ever, but it was a bit meh. Magnitude is annoying. The beginning was strong, but it went a bit downhill. It was also clear the writers did not really know what to do with Abed, so they just sent him off in a pointless side story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

What's the joke about glitter? I know they dropped it in a few episodes, but it feels like they're trying to make it a running gag and pretending its been around ages.

This week wasn't the worst episode ever, but it was a bit meh. Magnitude is annoying. The beginning was strong, but it went a bit downhill. It was also clear the writers did not really know what to do with Abed, so they just sent him off in a pointless side story.

They dropped the joke in last weeks episode as well, it was aired out of order so the joke wasn't funny, this weeks episode was meant to go before last weeks.

On another note, I watched a the Rocket Simulation episode today because it was actually on tv. I really hadn't noticed the drastic change in quality in this season, I've been telling myself "it wasn't that bad of an episode" and whilst I don't think the episodes have been absolutely horrendous (except the convention episode) I'm starting to question whether I want a season 5 or not.

It's kind of hard to just sit down and enjoy this any more without constantly critiquing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This show is simply brilliant with Easter Eggs. I'm rewatching the show at the moment and I just got to the first Paint Ball episode. Tell me what you see here.......

communityredjohn.jpg

Yes, that is the "Red John" smiley from the Mentalist. Can't believe I missed that the first time round.

I also really, really enjoyed the goodfella's chicken episode. And "He was horny, so he dropped him. Man is evil!". :D

This show is great. Yes, it has some misses....but it's hits are godlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a few behind, but this thread is putting me off from catching up. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm a few behind, but this thread is putting me off from catching up. :(
    For me anyway, some of the criticism's are way over the top. Is it as good as it was? Nope, but I'm still enjoying it for the most part. Sure it's not as sharp or clever but I personally don't think it's as bad as others make it out here. As a result of this constant negativity, it's one of the few times I've mulled over not reading a TV thread for a show I'm watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Personally, I haven't noticed a huge difference between this season's quality compared to others (apart from the middle section of season 2 which was pretty amazing), but I think that's just down to how I approach the show. I never really just watched it for the comedy aspect; it was moreso because of the feeling of the show or something... It's hard to explain. I can definitely understand how people think this season is worse than the others though 'cause I'm definitely not laughing as much. But I don't think I necessarily watch the show for it to make me laugh.

I know that's a weird paragraph, sorry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ixoy wrote: »
    For me anyway, some of the criticism's are way over the top. Is it as good as it was? Nope, but I'm still enjoying it for the most part. Sure it's not as sharp or clever but I personally don't think it's as bad as others make it out here. As a result of this constant negativity, it's one of the few times I've mulled over not reading a TV thread for a show I'm watching.

completely agree with this... Last 2 have been quite enjoyable. Not fantastic, but still worth watching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    It's not without its laughs, but "over the top" is a fairer description of what the show has become - it's simply not the Community I fell for back in series 1/2. The writers have ramped up the wacky, oddball humour to the nth degree; and while the situations have become increasingly daft, arguably the characters have lost all the relatable humanity that made them so great at the start - in some cases like Annie & Abed they've actually regressed (and it started happening in series 3 under Harmon, so I'm not just booing the show because of that whole controversy) whilst others have devolved into caricatures. Remember when Chang was just the slightly weird Spanish teacher? Or Britta was just the straight-man (so to speak), and not ... well, the moron.

Fair enough if people are still finding enjoyment in the show - each to their own :) - but I think it has lost the run of itself completely: oddly enough, as borderline smug as the series has become, the one interesting idea that was picked up then almost immediately dropped was that the study group were actually hated across campus. That would have been an interesting arc to work with across the season; giving the group a chance to evolve once more, and an interesting if unexpected antagonist (the rest of the college). Instead, it was resolved with a quick montage(!) and we defaulted back to wacky hijinks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Or Britta was just the straight-man (so to speak), and not ... well, the moron.

To be fair, britta as a moron proved a better character. Straightman britta of early season 1 was dull.

Though it was a balancing act that they've missed a few times.

is still one of my all time favourite jeff lines to her.

Also some episodes to me I always feel sort of get a pass cause they are clearly sold as *holiday specials* the glee episode in particular sticks out as ones where the characters are purposely done a few steps done on realism, so the moron dance makes sense there.

sadly new season writers missed the memo on what is a holiday special and what isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I don't bother commenting on this thread any more - but this
    pixelburp wrote: »
    ... the study group were actually hated across campus. That would have been an interesting arc to work with...

+1

It would have been an epic turn that would have allowed them to reground the characters and undo the sins of season 3.

Instead, Community is now Happy Endings with even more inconsistencies.

No point in me critiquing season 4 again - almost all the shortcomings I've noticed have already been pointed out somewhere. Sad smiley face is enough:

:(

• Advertisement

Can't help but wonder if just how out-of-order the episodes are being shown is having an effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Community_episodes#Season_4_.282013.29

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Really enjoyed this week. Parodying Britta-ing was smart, now hopefully they can stop referring that joke now. Abed & Rachel had good chem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the cloak girl looked like the new girl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

the cloak girl looked like the new girl

Brie Larson is great. Would love her to be a regular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Perhaps she could take Pierce's place if there is a season 5?

Liked that episode, new favourite of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

hmmmm on one hand i usually dislike the musical guest playing themselves trope, but seeing as the whole b-plot was a trope parody....

that and Rachel is super cute... though i dont know if abed should have a love interest.

**** it, i'll let it slide. i enjoyed it.

I can't believe cloak girl is the daughter from United states of Tara!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I can't believe cloak girl is the daughter from United states of Tara!
    Yep, amazing what a set of hipster glasses and dye job can do.

Not an awful episode... Troy had the best line of the episode IMO: "So was that girl an alien, or a toddler with a growing disease?"

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Right that's it. Watched 4 minutes of s04e08 and that was enough. It's like watching your dog get put down by the vet who your girlfriend cheated on you with. To be condemned to the annals of post season 8 Simpsons and post season 5 Futurama. The first two seasons will always have a place on my to watch list, but I'll be pretending the new episodes don't exist.

Yillan out

• Advertisement

I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not old community, but it was a solid episode.

Advertisement