Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics on TV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    Any athletic events coming up on TV soon? Am starting to have withdrawal symptoms!

Haha. Tis great being in Oz. Just as the real track season ends, the Oz track season starts to get going. Loving this 12 months a year of track :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RayCun wrote: »
    You could go watch real life athletics!:):rolleyes:

Dublin Novice Cross Country was on yesterday, I'm sure there's something on next weekend.

Or get Mario Olympics for the Wii. Cracking game. Endless fun. It's some sight seeing Luigi dip under 9 seconds! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Amsterdam Marathon is live in Eurosport this Sunday at 8.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Yes, hopefully Mark Kenneally can make the Olympic standard. He needs to improve his PB by just over 2 mins.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll wave at the cameras.

• Advertisement

Great Birmingham Run tomorrow morning at 9.45am on Channel 5. No idea what their athletics coverage is like.

Haile is running in it.

Great South Run. Tomorrow (Sunday) morning, 10.30am Channel 5.

New York Marathon. Sunday, 2pm, Eurosport 2

Coverage just stared. No pace makers in either race, interesting!

This is also on Eurosport HD as well btw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's some lead she's got so early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Coverage just stared. No pace makers in either race, interesting!

Pacemakers were abolished in this race a few years back - Race Director felt it ruined the spirit of the event as a race rather than a time trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

That's some lead she's got so early on.

Keitany is class, top female marathoner in the world. Could be a blow up in the making at this pace with the late hills

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like she's gunning for the 'certified' women's world record. A real kick in the teeth for Radcliffe if she gets it. Still, it's a tough course, so if she can run 2:17, that's a superb result.

*Edit*: Ok, I posted a little prematurely. Looks like she's on 2:19 pace now and slowing. Course record is 2:22.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Is Keitany going to hang on? The 2 chasers are under 30 secs behind, with around 3k to go.

She's just been caught but is now rallying again and is pulling away. Two exciting finishes in NYC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

looks like a couple of great finishes developing

Caprica wrote: »
    Is Keitany going to hang on? The 2 chasers are under 30 secs behind, with around 3k to go.

NOPE!!.............oh hold on a minute............

This is possibly one of the most bizarre finishes I've seen to a women's marathon. This is great viewing.

Come on Mary, you can do it. Looks like a 2:24 finish, much slower second half for her.

Poor Mary Keitany, what must she be feeling (apart from the excruciating pain!)?

• Advertisement

My word that was close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That's real racing - really enjoyable

Exciting finish to the womens race. I though Keitany was going to pull away again but it was only a brief rally, stong finish by the second Ehtiopian to close to with a few seconds of her countrywoman. Looks like Kenya will claim the mens race. The East African strenght in depth is just crazy.

Pfffff, only 2:05:xx :D ........Seriously though, the Kenyans are class. It's ridiculous to think that we are becoming so accustomed to these fast times that 2:05 is not appreciated the way it should. Absolutely loving the marathons at the minute!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Will be interesting to see the decision in the morning regarding the last spot on the Kenyan team its down to three now

G Mutai
    Personally I think is the favourite. Winner in Boston in 2.03.02 but today showed that he can run fast without pacers in a more championship type setting (and i think AK recognized this when the announced team selection would be made tomorrow

W Kipsang
    2.03.42 to win in Frankfurt only 4 sec shy of the world record

M Mosop
    Second fastest time ever in Boston in his Debut recently took S Wanjiru's CR on the way to winning chicago

I ordered these in terms of how i think they will rank to the selectors though in fairness I think any combination of about 6 runners could be used to have a good shot at all the medals in London next year. Who ever doesnt make the Olympic games will be in high demand in terms of appearances fees at Marathon majors though so atleast they have some consolation:D

European Cross Country championships streamed live online this weekend coming, with english commentary.

http://www.european-athletics.org/18th-spar-european-cross-country-championships/10595-european-athletics-to-stream-live-spar-european-cross-country-championships.html
    European Athletics is pleased to announce that it will stream live the Velenje 2011 SPAR European Cross Country Championships with English-language commentary on Sunday 11 December.

Cross country fans around the world will be able to click through to the live stream link from the European Athletics website homepage and watch the championships live in their entirety.

English commentary will add colour to the live action throughout all six races in the Slovenian city.

The Opening Ceremony will be broadcast from 09:30 GMT with the first race to start at 09:45.

Athletes' post-race interviews will be uploaded to the European Athletics YouTube site throughout the day of the event.

Broadcast intentions from international broadcasters are still coming in ahead of the 18th edition of the SPAR European Cross Country Championships and will be published by European Athletics later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

It's on BBC2 12.30 - 14.15

JosDel wrote: »
    It's on BBC2 12.30 - 14.15

Didn't know that, even better!

Apparently not BBC 2 Northern Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes