Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

macadam wrote: »
    I was told they were placed in a dishwasher, which is substandard for wooden boards which need to be wire brushed etc. I will not be going back either.

I always send food back that is served on a wooden board/plank and request a proper plate. My ancestors may have eaten off the floorboards but I don't want to regress!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Gave the Black Bull it's second and last chance this weekend. Waited almost 45 mins between starter/mains. Garlic mushrooms came with a salad which was drenched in oil. Mains came with rubbery leeks & one single piece of "buttered potato". Dessert was apple crumble tasted off. If I had a blindfold on, I would have sworn the crumble had sage in it! Strange!

I'm not a person to complain, I rather vote with my feet. Definitely won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to the Boyne valley the other night. Had chicken wings for starters , best I've had in a long time. Had a pasta dish for main course. Really good. Will definitely go back. Staff were really good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

I have heard less favourable opinion of Black Bull from a good friend as well, but never had any bad experience myself. Mrs and I have been there three times in last four months, sticky coke chicken wings thingees, burgers, thai currys, pastas - all washed down with Erdinger. So far we haven't had a bad plate of food there, may be it's certain dishes, or luck of the draw, who knows (for instance, we were not impressed by the take away pad thai we got from Kanoodle, I was expecting greatness based on the comments here.. will have to order again before making up our mind).

Sorry to hear that your Kandoodle was underwhelming! I would normally agree with you re things being the luck of the draw sometimes, hence why I sometimes give places a few chances. Had similar issues with Black Bull in the past though. It's unfortunate, because the interior is nice and they have a flashy new bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Went to the ESB tonight.
    I hadn't been in a while and the place has really lost its charm.

Very cold inside (I was shivering), no ambience or atmosphere.
    The staff have gone downhill too - our waitress was a mess, see through and stained shirt, seemed inconvenienced at having to serve us and was very miserable looking.

Food took an age to come.
    However when it did arrive it was lovely so no complaints there.
    Won't be rushing back though as I just didn't enjoy myself like I have in the past...it's just lost its spark :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gave the Black Bull it's second and last chance this weekend. Waited almost 45 mins between starter/mains. Garlic mushrooms came with a salad which was drenched in oil. Mains came with rubbery leeks & one single piece of "buttered potato". Dessert was apple crumble tasted off. If I had a blindfold on, I would have sworn the crumble had sage in it! Strange!

I'm not a person to complain, I rather vote with my feet. Definitely won't be back.

We used to go to the BB at least once a month but slowly drifted off it. It used to have something special about it, but it's gone downhill a lot in recent times.
    BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Went to the ESB tonight.

The staff have gone downhill too - our waitress was a mess, see through and stained shirt, seemed inconvenienced at having to serve us and was very miserable looking.

Won't be rushing back though as I just didn't enjoy myself like I have in the past...it's just lost its spark :(

I've felt this way about the ESB for ages. I adore the Duck Confit, possibly one of my favourite dishes in Ireland, but the wait staff can be utterly appalling sometime. Just really rude.

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Went to the ESB tonight.

Hi BetsyEllen, have noticed similar about ESB recently. Had a meal out there a while back and it took an age to get the attention of the waitress, and then we had about four waiting staff call to the table in as many minutes to ask if we were okay. Food is always a hit though & the complimentary bread is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

ESB service has been awful lately. The staff seem to get younger and less experienced each time. Can't remember the last time at least one dish or drink wasn't forgotten.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone know what the deal is with Smithstown Dinner, just outside Drogheda?

Went today for the first time, got the chicken burger which was really nice. But the place has a sense about it that it was decorated somewhat on a budget (which, I actually like, as a small business guy; gives it somewhat of a charm).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Haven't been to smithstown since it reopened

In Kings now after 3pm and it's full, this makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Recently visited Simonas to meet some friends for lunch.
    Friendly and accommodating staff and food was really tasty.
    It was my first time there but I will return!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Borzalinos for the first time in years, very pleasant experience.. family thing with 7 adults 3 teens and 3 little ones. Food was very good and the service was excellent totally unrushed even youth we were finished and chatting for quite a while before asking for the tab.

Another great Sunday lunch at Aisha's. Their falafels are still the best I have ever had, and the chicken in pepper sauce with Lebanese rice was delicious. Great food!!

positron wrote: »
    Another great Sunday lunch at Aisha's. Their falafels are still the best I have ever had, and the chicken in pepper sauce with Lebanese rice was delicious. Great food!!

Was that the Dijaj Mansaaf? If so, it's to die for!

Not a dinner place, but I tried Stockwell Artisan Foods for lunch today and it was great. Their salads are really fresh and filling & the staff are lovely!

It wasn't the Dijaj Mansaaf - I wasn't too mad about their Dijaj Mansaaf when I tried it many many months ago.

This is their chicken with pepper sauce (and same rice as in mansaaf I guess).

425175.jpg

No, I don't normally take photos of what I am about to eat, this is just this one time! :o

It wasn't the Dijaj Mansaaf - I wasn't too mad about their Dijaj Mansaaf when I tried it many many months ago.

This is their chicken with pepper sauce (and same rice as in mansaaf I guess).

425175.jpg

No, I don't normally take photos of what I am about to eat, this is just this one time! :o

Looks lovely! I do like the Dijaj Mansaaf but that actually looks much lighter & less stodgy than it! Might try it next time! You're dead right about the falafels too! Recently discovered that they do a lunch menu for 6.95 on Friday & Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tried it after a lot of reviews here. Food did nothing for me im afraid. Spiced mince after spiced mince. The missus had a nice sauce in her mains n that was about it. The staff were a credit to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

So finally got around to trying Kanoodle after reading the reviews here. Not really a noodle family but we all enjoyed it and had no complaints. Had them once or twice since too. Then...

Last week we went to order and discovered we were too late for delivery at 9.30PM on a Friday night!! Apparently they close at 10 so last delivery is about 9.20PM or so. So, looking forward to our noodles, we opted for Noodle Box instead (who are open til 4AM btw). I was very pleasantly surprised! As nice as Kanoodle was, Noodle Box was way nicer and... way cheaper. Will be sticking with Noodle Box from now on.

Scotty # wrote: »
    So finally got around to trying Kanoodle after reading the reviews here. Not really a noodle family but we all enjoyed it and had no complaints. Had them once or twice since too. Then...

Last week we went to order and discovered we were too late for delivery at 9.30PM on a Friday night!! Apparently they close at 10 so last delivery is about 9.20PM or so. So, looking forward to our noodles, we opted for Noodle Box instead (who are open til 4AM btw). I was very pleasantly surprised! As nice as Kanoodle was, Noodle Box was way nicer and... way cheaper. Will be sticking with Noodle Box from now on.

I've yet to give it a go! Will try it soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I tried Kanoodle and it was very nice but found it too expensive.

i think it was €9.50 to take away and yesterday in south ann st st.(dublin city centre)i had the same chilli beef in the thai noodle for €5.50 !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

I have heard less favourable opinion of Black Bull from a good friend as well, but never had any bad experience myself. Mrs and I have been there three times in last four months, sticky coke chicken wings thingees, burgers, thai currys, pastas - all washed down with Erdinger. So far we haven't had a bad plate of food there, may be it's certain dishes, or luck of the draw, who knows

We've been to the Black Bull a number of times over the last couple of months and have no complaints about the food, it has been excellent. The service on the other hand can be poor, even when they aren't busy. Worst option is to have food in the bar, they seem to forget you exist. Also avoid the east European waiter type, the one with the thousand yard stare and the beard. He does not take complaints of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Heading to the bull tonight for food, will report back. :)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Had the duck tacos in the eastern seaboard last week... very very nice

Gave Noodlebox a go! I was surprised that the menu was just akin to the usual chinese stuff, but it was actually tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

furiousox wrote: »
    Heading to the bull tonight for food, will report back. :)

Well don't keep us all in suspense, how was it, or are you still sitting in the bar area waiting to be served?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Ok, so the four of us went up around 6.00pm yesterday.
    The car park was nearly full and the place was very busy.
    The front bar and restaurant were full so we were offered a table in the restaurant area.
    The waitress said she needed the table back for 8.00 which suited us fine.
    We were handed menus, and the waitress took our drinks order almost as soon as we sat down.
    We haven't been to the bull for a while so there was plenty on the menu that appealed to me.
    In the end I went for the penne pasta in a white wine sauce with chicken and bacon.
    Mrs ox wasn't that hungry so just ordered a portion of garlic mushrooms and a bruschetta.
    The munchkins ordered chicken tenders and chips and a large portion of the sticky rum chicken wings (which we all had a taste of) with chips.
    I have to say the service was very good on this occasion and the food arrived quickly.
    The chicken tenders were fine and looked to be made from decent quality chicken breast.
    The sticky rum chicken wings were delicious with a very tasty sauce that tasted a bit like chinese hoi sin.
    Mrs ox wasn't impressed with the bruschetta, she said it was damp, stodgy and there wasn't much flavour going on.
    The garlic mushrooms were nice though.
    I thought the penne was very nice, a huge portion with plenty of chicken and bacon in a rich white wine and cream sauce.
    The chicken wings were definitely the hit of the evening with everyone though
    We found the food (apart from the bruschetta) and service to be spot on tonight.
    The waitresses were attentive, checking if we needed anything on a couple of occasions.
    We were all too full for dessert so I just had a cappuccino to finish.
    We just had water to drink during the meal so the food bill was 58 quid all in.
    We have had disappointing meals in the bull before, not on this occasion though.
    We all enjoyed the food it and had a very pleasant evening.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

furiousox wrote: »
    The waitresses were attentive, checking if we needed anything on a couple of occasions.
    Grrr, nothing annoys me more!! Ask me when I'm paying if everything was alright, until then, I'll let you know if I need you. Some places/staff really over do it. Or, like the guy in Tango's, they're over to top up your drink everytime you take a sip. Really irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Scotty # wrote: »
    Grrr, nothing annoys me more!! Ask me when I'm paying if everything was alright, until then, I'll let you know if I need you. Some places/staff really over do it. Or, like the guy in Tango's, they're over to top up your drink everytime you take a sip. Really irritating.

I disagree - nothing annoys me more than when you're sitting there needing something or there's a problem with your meal and the waitresses just walk past you.

You have to start waving about like an idiot trying to get their attention.
    I much prefer to have them come over and check a few minutes after getting the food.

Just once though mind, anything more than that would be annoying.

• Advertisement

Just on that subject,

The Chinese in Bettystown (Chan's I believe it's called) has lovely food and really nice staff. Lovely people and place in general.

But they really go into overkill with the topping up of water. Or if you order tea they half-make it for you (pouring it halfway in a cup) or if you order rice they open the lid off the bowl the rice comes in, scoop some out onto your plate, and then put the rice down.

The place is very good value, very good food, and really nice people, but far too excessive in these traits. I know they're well-meaning but it crosses into annoying very quickly. I find it's hard to even have a private conversation because you have to stop talking so frequently.

I realise I'd be saying the exact same thing in reverse if they completely ignored you, so a balance has to be found which i realise can be tricky, but it's definitely something I notice.

Advertisement