Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop Problem

Options
  • 06-06-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi, just recently bought a laptop for someone who basically just wanted to use it for Facebook (browsing and games etc.) so thought any cheap one would do so got this one (http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2455914.htm) in a recent Argos sale, but it seems to be ridiculously slow at loading games and seems to lag an awful lot on them which basically has made it pointless.

Anyone know what is causing it? It's not exactly high tech games so didn't think it'd need to have the best spec, anything I can do to get it to work properly or should I try and bring it back and get a better model instead? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

thebuzz wrote: »
    Hi, just recently bought a laptop for someone who basically just wanted to use it for Facebook (browsing and games etc.) so thought any cheap one would do so got this one (http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2455914.htm) in a recent Argos sale, but it seems to be ridiculously slow at loading games and seems to lag an awful lot on them which basically has made it pointless.

Anyone know what is causing it? It's not exactly high tech games so didn't think it'd need to have the best spec, anything I can do to get it to work properly or should I try and bring it back and get a better model instead? Any help appreciated.

Going by the reviews on Amazon its just not a good laptop. Take it back if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the games? Depending on what they are some will have stronger hardware requirements than others even on Facebook. What you bought is the lowest level of laptop hardware wise, suitably only for browsing the web and watching movies, typing, etc.

It may prove difficult to return as there isn't anything actually wrong with it, it's just not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

What are the games? Depending on what they are some will have stronger hardware requirements than others even on Facebook. What you bought is the lowest level of laptop hardware wise, suitably only for browsing the web and watching movies, typing, etc.
    The various mindjolt/zynga type games and the likes of that.
    It may prove difficult to return as there isn't anything actually wrong with it, it's just not suitable.
    I wonder if they'd take it back in exchange for a gift card to use so I can get a better laptop there even?

What minimum requirements should I be looking for in a laptop for this type of thing, that this laptop obviously lacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What minimum requirements should I be looking for in a laptop for this type of thing, that this laptop obviously lacks?

Double the price you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Argos site says it's exempt from 30 day money back. Might be poss to get credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Double the price you paid.
    That doesn't tell me a lot as there could be goods deals on certain laptops. Should I be looking for better ram, hard drive, operating system etc.? I don't know a whole lot about them so would appreciate advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That doesn't tell me a lot as there could be goods deals on certain laptops. Should I be looking for better ram, hard drive, operating system etc.? I don't know a whole lot about them so would appreciate advice.

Ideally you would be looking for the following.

SSD over a normal hard-drive. SSD's are like a sports car to a people carrier. You sacrifice storage space for amazing experience.

For decent future proofing, 8 gigs of ram.

The screen should realistically be capable of a 1080p resolution.

You should aim for a I3 processor from the latest generation or above(I5, I7).

To get a machine that runs for 3-4 years, you need to spend money. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

This is what I would recommend as the minimum you should buy. Nothing sold by Argos comes close.
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80EC00APUK-Lenovo-Z50-in-Black_1693082.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dell sell an Inspiron with a 4th gen i3, 4gb of ram and a 500GB hard drive for 429 delivered to your door. That's decent value.

If you didn't want to spend any extra, this is also much better than what you bought in Argos for the same money.

SSD's and 1080p screens are nice but not essential by any means especially not on the lower end of the budget scale. 8GB of ram is also nowhere near necessary for the uses you've described and if you have the laptop long enough that more than 4GB is required then a ram swap down the line is a 5 minute job and cost effective.

All of the above laptops are sufficient for several years usage.

Advertisement