Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Development Support Engineer

Options
  • 29-09-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I graduated from the UCD MSc in December and I have been working for the last 6 months as a C# .NET developer on a number of projects. Im looking now for junior work in this field.

I got a call about the possibility of a development support engineer position with a large multinational. I dont know of anyone in a role like this at the moment. Would it be madness to take this job or to try and stick it out for a junior C# position? Is development support engineer a dead end role? Im really looking for somewhere with the possibility of career progression rather than a high starting salary.

Many Thanks
    R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

It would be worth teasing out the details of the role and whether there's a path to sustaining engineer within the company from the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have done it quite a bit, and switched between them. In my opinion it would be wiser (in the long term) to wait for a pure developer role. Especially considering your experience and qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thanks beauf & Skrynesaver,

As it happens, since I posted, I got a call about a developer role with a company I have already worked for as well as another agency today contacted me about a graduate developer role.

The company I worked for are looking to implement a new portal for clients. This would suit me better as it is very similar to what I have done already. Meeting about it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Grab with both hands.

Advertisement