Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working in Malahide... Where to live?

• 08-08-2010 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

First time poster.

I'm currently living in Dundrum and have just got a new job in Malahide. I'm looking for advice on where to live in North Dublin. I would like to live somewhere along the dart line that would be convenient to commute to Malahide for work. I would also like the location to be convenient to go into city centre etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I live in Portmarnock which is the next village over from Malahide on way towards town, and find it ok getting into town. The commuter trains take 15 mins to Connolly or 20-25 mins on the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you could try around Clongriffin which is a new area and the Dart has recently opened there so it has a lot of places to rent or buy
    It is 2 stops from Malahide and would be cheaper than renting in there, shops are slowly opening up so the nearest shopping centre is Donaghmede which is 5 minutes away

http://www.clongriffin.ie/location.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to live in Malahide? Apart from financial?
    Personally if I was working there and I had the choice I think I'd live there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Clongriffin, Balgriffin and Belmayne are all kips-in-the-making full of badly thrown up shoe box apartments lining crazily narrow roads. I wouldn't advise anyone to live there.

OP, you'd be better off somewhere on the dart line with Howth Junction being your last stop, because the dart brances off in two directions there and it's the last stop that you can get on for the malahide train. If you lived further along the line you'd have to get the dart back to Howth Junction and then to malahide every day, so just mind that you don't choose an area on the Howth line.

Areas like Raheny or Killester would be perfect for you. Lovely settled areas a couple of mins walk from the coast. Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Galwaygirlpr

Thanks for the tips on the dart Elle Collins! Thanks for all the advice... As I do not know the area very well, ye have all being very helpful! I am looking at a place in Raheny tonight and will take a drive around North Dublin get to see some of the places ye have mentioned. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Maybe Donabate. It's a lot cheaper to rent, three minutes to Malahide by train (since the track goes right across the estuary - God I wish they'd make a road or even foot path alongside it).

But apart from that, Donabate is a nice area in it's own right. Lovely park (Newbridge Park and Demesne) and beach etc.

The only problem is it's not on the Dart line so you need to take the less frequent "non-stoppers".

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

First time poster.

I'm currently living in Dundrum and have just got a new job in Malahide. I'm looking for advice on where to live in North Dublin. I would like to live somewhere along the dart line that would be convenient to commute to Malahide for work. I would also like the location to be convenient to go into city centre etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Malahide is a terrific place with all but the farthest estates from the village no more than 10-20 minutes walk to the DART station.

I suggest you have a look at www.daft.ie if you plan on renting or www.enjoymalahide.com (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I've lived in Malahide for 2 and a half years now and as an outsider (and a fellow culchie!) it's a great place to live. It's a beautiful place, very safe, lots to see and do and it's only 20/25 minutes in to town on the Dart. Especially if you will be working here I think you should think about living here too. Best of luck wherever you decide on anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Clongriffin, Balgriffin and Belmayne are all kips-in-the-making full of badly thrown up shoe box apartments lining crazily narrow roads. I wouldn't advise anyone to live there.

OP, you'd be better off somewhere on the dart line with Howth Junction being your last stop, because the dart brances off in two directions there and it's the last stop that you can get on for the malahide train. If you lived further along the line you'd have to get the dart back to Howth Junction and then to malahide every day, so just mind that you don't choose an area on the Howth line.

Areas like Raheny or Killester would be perfect for you. Lovely settled areas a couple of mins walk from the coast. Good luck. :)

Gas how you predicted the future of those estates, pretty rough all right. I live in Red Arches and use the train every day at clongriffin, it, my estate and and around are run down **** holes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Hollister11, this thread hasn't had a new post in seven years so its way too old to revive. Clongriffin and surrounding areas are in Dublin City, so that forum is better suited to a new thread on the subject if you want to start a new one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement